it really hurts....plz help

Options
im 181 lbs. i do regular stationary bike exercise for 30-80 mins and light effort to moderate. the thing that is freaking me out that during and after the exercise, my pelvic area and anything below my waist hurts. it excludes legs. so the only thing that really hurts is bottom area, but shouldnt it be the legs coz thats where all thehard work lies.?!?!

im so embarrased to ask this question and had to gather alot of encouragenment bcoz at the end of the day i dont want to hurt myself.:frown:

plz tell me that this is normal pain and its not bcoz im heavy or my bike's seat is not good. and also it was embarrasing 4 me to ask so plz no rude comments. :embarassed:

thank u in advance

Replies

• shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    My backside hurts when I use an exercise bike. I assumed it was down to the crappy seats so I'll be interested in reading what everyone else thinks!
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I think it's normal, mine hurts whether I'm riding the stationary bike or my actual bicycle, and sometimes if I've been riding long enough I feel bruised. My coworker who bikes a lot suggested to purchase biking shorts which I guess have some padding to help out. (I haven't yet, but if I start biking more I may!)
  • wantstolooseweight
    wantstolooseweight Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Mine really really aches after too....... I put it down to hard seats!
  • Lmacpherson114
    Options
    Have you thought that maybe your seat is slightly too high and your legs are having to stretch too much to reach the peddles? Hence the pain in the hip joint where the strain would be occurring? Just a thought!
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    It will totally wear off after a coupleof weeks. When I first started spinning I used to dread how much my *kitten* would hurt afterwardsm but after a couple of weeks it didnt anymore. You could buy some padded cycling shorts, but honestly give it time and it WILL harden to it :)
  • ChrisRN75495
    Options
    im 181 lbs. i do regular stationary bike exercise for 30-80 mins and light effort to moderate. the thing that is freaking me out that during and after the exercise, my pelvic area and anything below my waist hurts. it excludes legs. so the only thing that really hurts is bottom area, but shouldnt it be the legs coz thats where all thehard work lies.?!?!

im so embarrased to ask this question and had to gather alot of encouragenment bcoz at the end of the day i dont want to hurt myself.:frown:

plz tell me that this is normal pain and its not bcoz im heavy or my bike's seat is not good. and also it was embarrasing 4 me to ask so plz no rude comments. :embarassed:

thank u in advance

This is no place to trust anyone's reassurance about pain. Pain is not normal. Go to a doctor or nurse practitioner. If you can post your business here, with thousands of people reading it, you can talk one on one in an exam room.

Go.

I guess I'm surprised about all the things you don't want people to tell you. If you post a question here, be prepared for the answer. Report people who are unkind to you.

But if your pain is (in their opinion--and I wouldn't tell you to ignore it, but I'm a registered nurse, so what do I know?) because you are heavy or your bike's seat is cheap, then I'd think you'd be willing to hear it. We are all heavy here.

GO TO THE DOCTOR.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this? remembering my Uni days, the first two or three weeks of spring when I unpacked my bike, I'd actually bruise my bottom. Hasn't so much to do with the shape I'm (or you are) in nor the level of excercise, it's just that the seat is situated in a spot that normally doesn't... um... get that treatment.

for me, the discomfort always faded in a few weeks, so hope the same applies to you. If not, I'd suggest better padding ;)
  • gvnyc
    gvnyc Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It might be 'bicycle seat neuropathy' caused by compression of the pudendal nerve. Google the term and see if your symptoms match.
  • rhe280
    rhe280 Posts: 71
    Options
    I also have this and have found that a small cushion on the seat really helps on stationary bikes :smile:
  • evademers
    evademers Posts: 55
    Options
    I am not a rider but I am a Yoga addict and was wondering if maybe you should do yoga exercising before you ride to stretch out your bottom area and hips before you ride and maybe do the same when you done :) Might help :)
  • placebomonkey
    placebomonkey Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I got this when riding bike outdoors. I bought a gel seat saver about £7 from ebay. Works a treat :)
  • kakklespakkle
    kakklespakkle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I never use stationary bikes because it hurts my bottom!!! And I'm quite fit and active, and I am as heavy as you, almost exactly.

HOWEVER, if you are having pain as you describe it may be wise to check it out with your doctor (especially if you're British and it's free). It is always good to rule out anything sinister.

xxx
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Honey, I took one (and only one) spin class and BRUISED myself. That hurt for a couple weeks! I don't know if it was the seat, if I was doing it all wrong, or if you just have to get "conditioned" before your body gets used to it, but I decided other methods of exercise are just as helpful and a lot less painful. That's one time I'm okay with being a quitter. :)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I wear padded shorts AND have a gel seat cover on my stationary bike, it's the only way I can avoid limping the next day, or becoming a nun :laugh:
  • Teach4Hisglory
    Teach4Hisglory Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It could be several things... I would start with a GOOD pair of biking shorts. If you're uncomfortable about wearing spandex shorts to workout, they sell liners you can wear under your regular shorts. (I buy all of mine from TeamEstrogen.com. They sell ALL sizes!) If you're having trouble with chafing, try a product called Chamois Butt'r. It will eliminate any chafing, and lasts even during very long (5-8 hour) rides. The third option is the seat. You might experiment with the seat position. I was having terrible tailbone pain, and my local bike shop fitter (a little shootout to my friends at Trek!) examined my seat position. I was sitting too low, my seat was too far forward, and I was sitting too upright. All of those things resulted in unnecessary pressure on the behind. If that doesn't help, you might try a new seat. I hope you find some relief. I understand the discomfort you're in, and give you a high-five for courage! Keep riding!!! :smile:
  • Debtappe
    Debtappe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    That feeling is totally normal. You might want to invest in a pair of bike shorts because the seat area is padded. Also a good seat helps a lot. Take a look at the guys in the Tour de France - they all have padded shorts.
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    padded shorts should help but also a stationary bike seat is generally designed to be a one size fits all so probably you are not seated on your sit bones correctly, switch to the recumbent stationary bike if that is an option.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Gel seat and or cushion. Those bike seats be crazy!!!
  • BeanQueen3000
    Options
    If you've been riding like this for less than a few weeks, i'd echo the idea that you just need to "break yourself in" on the seat still. it's definitely not a natural, comfortable position to sit in until you get used to it. If, however, you've been at this for a while and you're still not settled, i'd definitely look into finding a different style of seat, or maybe trading the bike for a different machine or style of exercise. Either way-- this isn't anything to be embarrassed about. lighten up!
  • snowbike
    snowbike Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Couple of things to check.
    Make sure the seat is at the right height. When you are seated on the bike, put your heel on the pedal and your leg should be just slightly bent.
    It could be your seat is too high making your hips sway, which isnt good.
    If its set up right, check you are not dropping your heels too much, again making your hips sway.

If you STILL can see your hips sway, drop the saddle one notch and try again. Just be careful, if its too low your knees will get sore.

The gym bikes have pretty wide saddles at my gym. Even tho most of the nerves in my bum are long dead from mountain biking, the width of the saddle can irritate the inside of my leg.

Pain around the lschium (the lowest bit on the pelvis) is normal for new bikers.