Late nights

Options
Dear friends-
Do late nights wreak havoc on anyone else's healthy eating??!
I know it sound like such a simple simple thing to aviod, but one glass of wine and the temptation of anything sweet and it seems like everything goes down hill from there!
I ate super well today. I generally eat very well. But late nights are tough for me. That's when I crave sweets and seem to "blow it."
What works for you guys when the late night cravings hit?
Sorry for being so "oh whoa is me!" I know in retrospect and in the long term, one night is one night.
Love,
-OB

Replies

• kzalusky360
    Options
    save room for one serving of (raw) almonds...sometimes add sunflower seeds--no salt

yuum...and does the trick!
  • hjmygatt
    Options
    I hear you, I find I need a late night snack, too. I plan my calories for the day to leave enough for a snack, or else I blow it.

There are a few I really like:

-1 peice of sourdough toast with 1/2 tbsp peanut butter
    -1 cup Honey Nut Cheerios with 1/2 cup non-fat milk
    -1 packet of maple brown sugar oatmeal.

They are yummy, fill me up and have the added bonus of being a little sweet. Just what I need to satisfy my sugar craving, but still keep me on track.
  • jiminoregon
    jiminoregon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Grab a 100 calorie pack of your favorite cookies...eat them slow with a cup of coffee or another warm drink. Works for me...
  • Hailey
    Hailey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Yeah, saving some cals for the end of the night is nice. Also like jiminoregon said 100 calorie packs are great too! They come in a lot of different styles now too.

I suggest you start getting your 8 cups of water in a day, if you arent already. I have been doing it for about 2 and a half weeks now. It seems with drinking so much water you dont have much time to drink anything else "bad" for you. It also fills you up too. Make it a challenge for yourself! I did and its the best thing I've done yet while losing weight!
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    We had from August 2008 until 1 or 2 months ago a monthly thread on "No more late night snacking". It was for such a long time, because it was worth it and also necessary! At least for me :embarassed: .

I stopped creating a new thread, because I decided that it was more important for me to stay within my calories. Also, I realized I wasn't binging at night anymore. I do stop now when I've had enough and I log everything on MFP - in the earlier days I would quit as soon as I realized I was over calories and eating just for the "fun" of it.

I do miss the thread, though, so we can start it again in December - what do you think? Or we can even start it today, to "train" for December. After all, we have 1 month to go :noway: till Christmas. The idea of the "No more late night snacking" is to fix a cut-off and have only 0 cal stuff past that time (so just water and tea :wink: ). Do you want to take up the challenge? :drinker:
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I do miss the thread, though, so we can start it again in December - what do you think? Or we can even start it today, to "train" for December. After all, we have 1 month to go :noway: till Christmas. The idea of the "No more late night snacking" is to fix a cut-off and have only 0 cal stuff past that time (so just water and tea :wink: ). Do you want to take up the challenge? :drinker:

I'd be interested in doing it.
  • oEmmao
    oEmmao Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    if its in the house at any time of the day, but especially at night ill eat it

i cant have munchies in the house any more as i have no will power

get rid of them! :flowerforyou:
  • kickle88
    Options
    For my late night "sweets" craving I always have Low Fat Jello Chocolate Pudding made in the fridge. Only 90 calories a serving. Another option is a Fudgesicle, most brands are around 60-90 calories. I also love an apple with peanut butter.
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested in doing it.

Here we are, lulabellewoowoo:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/71788-no-late-night-snacking-last-one-for-2009

Everyone's invited and most welcome to join.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Dear friends-
    Do late nights wreak havoc on anyone else's healthy eating??!
    I know it sound like such a simple simple thing to aviod, but one glass of wine and the temptation of anything sweet and it seems like everything goes down hill from there!
    I ate super well today. I generally eat very well. But late nights are tough for me. That's when I crave sweets and seem to "blow it."
    What works for you guys when the late night cravings hit?
    Sorry for being so "oh whoa is me!" I know in retrospect and in the long term, one night is one night.
    Love,
    -OB

There are endless healthy options you can turn to in order to satisfy your sweet tooth. I take a couple scoops of chocolate protein powder, a serving of peanut butter, and 1/6 serving of low cal, 0fat and 0 sugar instant pudding. mix it in a bowl with some water until you have a pudding like consistency. I then stick it in the freezer for a couple hours and it is just like icecream. I eat it before bed while relaxing and watching tv. Go to a trader joes or local health shop, they have tons of tasty treats that you can fit into your daily eating routine as a night time snack.

Also alcohol/wine can drasticly increase the appetite for bad food choices. You may want to avoid alcohol all together. You will then have more self control and that will lead you to make better choices..
  • OliveBranch
    Options
    Thank you, everyone!
    These are some great ideas.
    Definitely on board for the "no late night snacking" thread!
    As much as I try to convince myself over and over that I'll just have an apple, if I have anything, be it healthy or junk food after dinner, It is just too easy for me to say "eff it!" and keep eating.
    I agree that even a glass of wine does make you more lax about what you eat.
    I appreciate all of your input very much!