ramadhan and willpower

Options
Hi guys. to all of you muslims who will fasting for 1 month please stay in touch so we don't lose our will power.

Replies

• Natheera
    Natheera Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is great topic! Thanks for posting it! I definetely will be needing support during ramadhan ! Especially with the yummy deep fried samosas and other unhealthy foods which I will come across during this month! Although I am going to restrain myself from making anything deep fried!!
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I eat my TDEE during the night and forget about losing fat, I focus on maintaining, because going for so long during the day with no food, then not getting enough during the night, there'd be a risk of muscle tissue loss then rebound fat gain during Eid.

Also I use my inactive TDEE not my usual one, due to not exercising etc so much.

Main thing though is to be really careful what you eat at iftaar, because you'll be starving hungry and ready to overeat, and dunno where you are but where I live iftaar is all deep fried pastries and samosas and stuff that you really don't want to overeat on. So try to fill up on healthy stuff at iftaar and save the unhealthy stuff for when you don't feel hungry. Also the sunnah of breaking your fast with 3 dates and a glass of water is very important - the water and dates will help to curb your hunger before you eat iftaar.

Also for suhoor protein + healthy carbs (wholegrain) is what's going to keep you going for a long time. Steer well clear of unhealthy/processed carbs as they'll raise your blood sugar for a while then it'll crash and you'll be very hungry and possibly have other problems for low blood sugar... for the whole of the rest of the day :/
  • dhakiyya
    Options
    ^^^ btw that's what works for me... some people do intermittent fasting as a fat loss technique and probably some of what they do can be applied to Ramadan. From past experience, intermittent fasting does not work for me, which is why I eat my inactive TDEE during Ramadan rather than going for a deficit. However maybe some of the websites for intermittant fasting having information that would be useful for Muslims during Ramadan.
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Ramadhan isn't too far away now!

The main problems I have during Ramadhan is lack of energy and thirst. I drink a lot of water during the day (6 pints), and this is what worries me most during the holy month. I try to drink as much as my body can take during sehri and iftar though.
  • sfb2510
    sfb2510 Posts: 28
    Options
    Lack of energy is a real problem, as it lack of sleep.

Will be avoiding fried foods 80% of the time this year, going to concentrate on more wholesome foods.
  • masumaj
    masumaj Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I need some advice regarding my future fitness plan.

I am a muslim which means i will be fasting for the month of ramadan starting july 20th to august 20, this means i will not be eating from sunrise to sunset, thats 19 hours...

however i do want to continue working out, what do you think if i say i want to do jillian micheals 30 day shred at 2:30 in the morning before i start fasting....i will get a chance to eat right after the workout...that way i dont slack and gain everything ive worked so hard for....is it a healthy idea

any support is welcome :)
  • alaina216
    alaina216 Posts: 103
    Options
    I wish you ladies all the best of luck- I know you can do it :)
  • Sia_33
    Sia_33 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    don't worry about exercise in ramzan. store your energy. the best thing to do is to eat low fat at iftar and drink plenty water. if you lose weight great or atleast maintain not gain. we'll go back to exercise after ramzaan.
  • Sia_33
    Options
    thank you for your support
  • Sia_33
    Options
    well done for losing 11kgs.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    what about sleeping during the day and staying up during the night?
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    don't worry about exercise in ramzan. store your energy. the best thing to do is to eat low fat at iftar and drink plenty water. if you lose weight great or atleast maintain not gain. we'll go back to exercise after ramzaan.

why eat low fat? fat keeps you fuller longer!
  • dhakiyya
    Options
    what about sleeping during the day and staying up during the night?

That's what a lot of Saudis do.... although Saudis are nocturnal for most of the year anyway because of the extreme heat. The malls are open until 1am, people go to the park and even the beach in the evening (they're very well lit, although it's quite surreal going to the beach late at night because the sea still looks black even though the beach itself is lit). So in Ramadan they just get a bit more nocturnal.

Personally I think it defeats the object (my opinion only, not judging anyone who does that, it's up to them), and I can't switch my sleep schedule around without it affecting my mental health.
  • FR89
    FR89 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    wont be able to sleep during the day maybe have an hours nap when I am back from work? .. But no samosa's for me.. I dont fancy fried starters straight after I like going to clean and filling main meal.. i wouldnt mind kebabs though? Grilled Chicken kebabs lol! Also feeling thirsty is the main thing i think i will struggle with .. and people eating around me lol! But we'll get through it.. I will make sure i get enough cals in.. and dont go under or over cals too much.. might do abit of walking after the nap? then prepare for iftar =)

Good Luck everyone! x
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I do not celebrate Ramadan as I am not Muslim, but I do intermittent fasting, and I can tell you fasting is all about water intake and eating a wholesome meal the night before. Hope you have a good ramadan!
  • rehan82
    rehan82 Posts: 22
    Options
    I am thinking of not fasting this time around. I know this is something I have not done since I was very young but I am afraid if I stop taking my regular sized meals for a month then I will lose motivation and won’t be at the top of my fitness plans. I don’t want to do this but I am just confused since it took me so long to get my act together about my fitness. Maybe I need to do other good deeds to compensate for this.
  • xSCiNTILLATEx79
    xSCiNTILLATEx79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I went through Ramadan for 3 years with my now ex fiance. Would wake up super early and drink tons of water and eat something filling to get through the day, it was the only way to not run out of energy by the time I got off work and not be cranky and mean half way through the month. Had a friend from Syria who used to make the best Baklava, I chowed down on a couple peices of that and like a gallon of water and was set for most the day :) Ramadan Mubarak!
  • dhakiyya
    Options
    My Ramadan eating plan:

Inactive TDEE: 1600 cals - (eating for maintenance)

600 cals suhoor

600 cals iftaar

400 cals midnight snack

plus loads of water through the night.

I'm used to eating 300 cal meals (deficit: 1500 cals, 5 meals of 300 cals each!!) so this is going to be a challenge, eating 600 cals in the middle of the night before fajr time!!!!!! I'm thinking of making suhoor in a big batch and putting it in containers in the fridge, all portioned with the correct number of calories, to put in the microwave each day for suhoor. (yes I'm lazy with cooking!)

I am thinking of not fasting this time around. I know this is something I have not done since I was very young but I am afraid if I stop taking my regular sized meals for a month then I will lose motivation and won’t be at the top of my fitness plans. I don’t want to do this but I am just confused since it took me so long to get my act together about my fitness. Maybe I need to do other good deeds to compensate for this.

this seems to me to be quite an all or nothing approach, i.e. anything that stops you from being on top will sabotage you. Apologies if that's not what you meant, but that is how it comes across.

The thing is in life there will be many things that throw you from your plans or make it difficult for you. The thing that I've learned is that it isn't about how well you do when everything's going right.... it's about how you handle it when stuff comes up that gets in the way, because this is a lifelong journey and life will throw things at you that make it very hard. Ramadan is something that can potentially throw you, depending on what your goals are. Make a plan for how to keep progressing towards your goals during Ramadan, or even just (like me) plan to maintain during Ramadan then make a new plan for after Eid. My after Eid plan is to build muscle and lose fat, through a programme that involves periods of deficit for fat loss and periods of a small surplus for muscle gain (plus good training and nutrition all along). Being adaptable with plans really helps you to stay on track when life stuff gets in the way.

Look up some of the information on intermittent fasting, because with the right approach you can minimise any potential damage (e.g. preventing muscle loss while fasting).

For people who miss fasts and can't make them up there's a certain number of hungry people you have to feed for each fast, though I can't remember the details. I have to pay this due to missing fasts due to pregnancy/breastfeeding which I haven't been able to make up in the meantime (for a whole combination of reasons) you'd probably have to check the exact details.
  • BSummers321
    BSummers321 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    How is everyone going to count their days? just as normal: everything before 12am - the day before, after 12am a new day? First Iftar will be about 9:50pm here. So I break my fast, have breakfast etc maybe a snack around 11pm, lunch around 12:30, another snack around 1am and dinner before sahur.

I don't know if I'll have time to workout, I was thinking after Iftar, because I'm so unfit and always need some water after a workout!