Egg yolks. to eat or not to eat??

Options
I want boiled eggs for dinner- this is about general aswell nto just today- Egg yolks supposadly raise cholesterol levels which is bad.they also add more calories. This leads me to think i should leave them out and jsut eat 2 egg whites instead. However, the yolk contains the protein and some vitamisn and things that the whites don't so it is beneficial, it is also far more filling eating the whole egg. So my question is, which is better? I normally compromise when its something like scrambeld eggs , i use 1 whole egg to 2 egg whites.

Replies

• MamaKatel
    MamaKatel Posts: 180
    Options
    I would eat them! Read Paleo and you will never look at fat and carbs the same way again.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Yolk has all the good stuff in it. It's not the place to cut calories.
    The cholesterol isn't absorbed well by the body. Eat the damn yolks.
  • sjschewlakow
    sjschewlakow Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    The yolk is my favorite part of the egg. I did only egg whites for a while and then gave up. I love the yolk to much to give it up.
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Eat the yolks, it is the part of the egg that keeps you full (fat and protein).
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I've heard that unless you have a problem with high cholesterol then you can eat them no problem.

I eat one full egg once a day at least, they're not bad for you, it's a myth.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I love the yolks, I had three eggs for brekkie actually, yolks and whites. Yummy yum yum yum!
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    Hate repeating what everyone else has already said but the yolk is just as nutritious and beneficial as the white. Fantastic source of good fat and tastes yummy too. High in calories considering the size but the nutrition is worth the effort.
  • themathelk
    Options
    If cholesterol is an issue for you or your family history - be concerned and continue this conversation. If no history and no raised marks - eat those yolks and get those nutrients. We have a family history of high cholesterol, strokes, cancer... and so much more. I have high cholesterol. I am eating egg white omelets and wondering what I should do for sure. Eggs are good nutrition unless you have issues.
  • primalchaos
    primalchaos Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I want boiled eggs for dinner- this is about general aswell nto just today- Egg yolks supposadly raise cholesterol levels which is bad.they also add more calories. This leads me to think i should leave them out and jsut eat 2 egg whites instead. However, the yolk contains the protein and some vitamisn and things that the whites don't so it is beneficial, it is also far more filling eating the whole egg. So my question is, which is better? I normally compromise when its something like scrambeld eggs , i use 1 whole egg to 2 egg whites.

I don't eat them normally. I use them on my homemade egg sandwiches and add lean ham to the mix. It's preference though, it cuts calories for me and I like the ham more than the yolks. I do eat them sunny side at restaurants unless I can see them prepared. (Saw at hotel restaurant where the yolks go that people don't want... right into the 'scrambled eggs' mixture so who knows what the ratio is).
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If you like them, eat them, there are worse things to spend 70 calories on. Personally I've found that the 1 egg to 3 egg white mix with some cheese and veggies and/or meat is the right choice for me .. health and taste wise.
  • Taylor0212
    Taylor0212 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I don't usually use them, because it takes too much of the fat in my diary. What I usually do (if i'm really hungry), is eat two egg whites and one whole egg. I do this in the morning, and scramble them! :) Yum! I also put red pepper flakes in them to boost my metabolism first thing in the morning!

Good luck everyone on your weight loss! :)
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    The links between eggs and cholesterol were debunked years ago.
  • DorisInTheDena
    DorisInTheDena Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I usually eat one yolk out of three eggs. There are 5 grams of fat in each egg yolk. That's just what I do.
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    If I want me some fried eggs (fried using olive oil spray) I eat them... if I want scrambled eggs, or use them for an omlet or maybe breakfast burrito's, I'll use egg beaters, where they use a 4 to 1 egg yolks.

Yolks have good nutrients (good for your hair and nails), there are other ways to watch your cholesterol - not eating fried foods is usually the best way. :wink: I say enjoy!!! :drinker:
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I would eat those two whole eggs! Unless cholesterol is a problem for you- our body NEEDS cholesterol in order to absorb nutrients. The yolks are full of good things, and they are natural.
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    "Although eating too many eggs can increase your cholesterol, eating four egg yolks or fewer on a weekly basis hasn't been found to increase your risk of heart disease."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/HQ00608/

Everyone is different, if you have a genetic disposition to high cholesterol, watch your intake. If not, eat away!
  • portalm
    portalm Posts: 201 Member
    Options

I eat 4 to 5 full eggs every morning. If you are healthy you will have hardly any problem.

here are a few links: read and decide for yourself.

http://stronglifts.com/cholesterol-saturated-fat-how-many-eggs-daily/

http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/egg-nutrition

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1356614/Eggs-Forget-high-cholesterol-warnings-theyre-healthier-ever.html
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor this very question last week at my monthly appointment. We were discussing my weight loss and medications. I've taken cholesterol meds for quite a few years and my cholesterol is now at the lowest point ever (120) and my trigylcerides (115) are also. He eliminated some of my bp meds and my trig med and cut my chol med in half. I asked if it a whole egg 3-4 days per week would negatively effect my cholesterol. He said I could continue to eat the eggs (including yolks), just not excessively. He also said the pros outweighed the cons on eating the entire egg. I guess I'll see in 3-4 months when my bloodwork is rechecked. I generally alternate an egg every other day. So some weeks 3, some weeks 4. The really bad form of cholesterol comes in a lot worse forms than eggs.
  • AwesomeMoJo
    AwesomeMoJo Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I generally have one whole egg and 3 egg whites scrambled together. I used to eat 3 whole eggs. I LOVE eggs! My cholesterol was VERY high and by changing up my diet, reducing the amount of cheese, eggs, and of course processed crap, I dropped my bad cholesterol 20points....

However, if you are pretty healthy eat the yolks as there are a lot of other nutritional properties in them...