Love to Eat

Options
I love to eat and I must admit it is not all healthy. I get cravings and fall into them alot. Some days are better than others. My question is what would help control my food cravings and help me feel like I am not hungry all the time.

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Describe the cravings. Are they for a specific kind of food? Do you get them at a certain time a day? Is it triggered by certain things? That would help us give you an answer.
  • aliciastar
    aliciastar Posts: 13
    Options
    I seem to do worst in the afternoon and evening. I do fine in the morning. I eat breakfast but then seem to fall apart. I usually eat greek yogurt or oatmeal. Honestly I feel like I am hungry all the time. I have been told to drink water when I feel hungry and that is not been helping. I drink anything from 9 - 12 8ozs. of water a day.
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Well, we can't really make any suggestions by looking at your diary since you don't log consistently. Logging your food accurately and consistently will help you get an idea of where you are going wrong (and identify a pattern). You'll be able to look back at your day and see, "Hey, the days that I ate only 300 calories between lunch and dinner, I ended up pigging out for dinner," or "Eating those 3 spoons of sugar with my morning coffee makes me feel hungry all day," etc.

If you are on a *reasonable* diet, your physiological ("true") hunger should not be overwhelming. If you are trying to cut your calories too low, then that may cause you to overeat later. In that case, I would suggest you need to increase your calories to a manageable number.

Psychological "hunger," on the other hand, is something different. To deal with this, you need to develop techniques to cope. Identify your trigger times, foods, and situations that lead to you overeating. Find ways to deal with them. For example, if sugar is a trigger food for you, you may need to cut that out of your diet (I am a fan of "all things in moderation," but if you can't be moderate about it, avoid it). Keep foods that tempt you out of your house. Here is a site with some more tips: http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?ContentTypeID=1&ContentID=2963

Also, eating a good amount of protein will help you feel full (maybe 1 gram per pound of LBM). And have a reasonable amount of fat in your diet as well.