Weight goes up...then down....then nothing!

Options
Hey everyone! So I've been doing my fitness pal for nearly 2 months. My calorie restriction was put at 1200. I started when I came back from university and have been exercising around 4-5 days a week, cardio only, with around 500-600 calories each time (1hour).

SW mid May= 148
within 3 weeks= 142
CW= 144

I cannot lose weight! At uni I don't eat unhealthy at all, just large quantities I think, but now at home I've been eating minimal, only healthy, generally always between 1000 or 1400 calories, haven't had pasta or bread but a handful of times and still can't lose. I also only started exercising when I came home, didn't exercise at school.

What am I doing wrong? I've basically always been this weight, and at only 20 I really want to lose it now or I never will. I've tried in the past but nothing changes. I don't have too much to lose but I know it is minimal muscle and more fat, so what am I doing wrong? I'd really appreciate tips and explanations on what I'm doing wrong, I was hoping to get to 130 by August 15th which didn't seem unrealistic but now I don't know. =(

Thank you!

Replies

• itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    If you're working out, you should increase your calorie intake...
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Your diary is private...are you tracking calories, or do you just believe you are eating 'healthy"?? Its possible you're eating more calories than you think you are.

Also agree that if you're working out and burning 5-600 calories, you might need to be eating some of those exercise calories back.
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Add strength training.
    If not eating bread and/or pasta is not helping your weight loss, try eating bread and pasta.
    If you still can't lose the weight, maybe your body is best suited to be in the low 140s. How tall are you?
  • ana137131
    ana137131 Posts: 25
    Options
    Your diary is private...are you tracking calories, or do you just believe you are eating 'healthy"?? Its possible you're eating more calories than you think you are.

Also agree that if you're working out and burning 5-600 calories, you might need to be eating some of those exercise calories back.

No I'm tracking all my calories, as best as I can! The problem is I'm working away from home 5 days a week, and during those days I still exercise, but have no choice but eat out, because I stay at hotels. Breakfast is always just a yoghurt and maybe a piece of fruit, lunch is a salad that I add all the ingredients to so I'm pretty sure of the calories, it's only dinner I can't be 100% sure of but I normally eat some sort of grilled fish (i dont eat meat) with vegetables or a salad.
  • minime2b
    minime2b Posts: 168
    Options
    Are you watching your Carb sodium and sugar an alcohol??? Make sure you're getting enough lean protein. If all else fails get your thyroid checked
  • ana137131
    ana137131 Posts: 25
    Options
    If not eating bread and/or pasta is not helping your weight loss, try eating bread and pasta.
    If you still can't lose the weight, maybe your body is best suited to be in the low 140s. How tall are you?

I'm only 5'5 so my BMI is currently pretty high, still in the normal range but not at a comfortable level. That's the problem, I can't figure out how to lose weight when your weight isn't very high to begin with...I know it's a slow process but this is crazy.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    You are losing weight.. it is just coming off slowly.

Change up what you are doing. Eat more... 1000 calories won't be enough especially if you are exercising on top of that.
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

I'm only 5'5 so my BMI is currently pretty high, still in the normal range but not at a comfortable level. That's the problem, I can't figure out how to lose weight when your weight isn't very high to begin with...I know it's a slow process but this is crazy.
    The only thing that BMI is indicative of is your total weight. It doesn't tell you your body composition, which is probably more of what you have an issue with than your overall weight.
    Get more protein in your diet and start lifting weights. By eating at such a low level and performing only cardio, you are most likely destroying your muscle. Muscle burns (slightly) more calories than fat and makes you look better naked. Muscle is the difference between Nicole Ritchie and Jessica Alba. The only way you can build muscle is to eat at a caloric surplus, so eat more and lift weights! When you're happier with your body, it'll be easier to lose the extra weight.