Mixing Protein Powder With Yoghurt - digestive issues?

Options
graelwyn
graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
I have noticed that since adding protein powder(usually half the stated serving) to my usual greek yoghurt dessert each night seems to be causing me the most appalling gas. To be blunt, and a little gross, it smells really vile, like sulphur. I do seem to have a delicate digestion and am now wondering if I am lactose intolerant or something. I have no issues with greek yoghurt on its own, or with cottage cheese, however.

Replies

• graelwyn
    Options
    anyone ?
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Have you had that brand of protein power on it's own (in a shake)?

Did you get the same effect, highly doubt you are lactose intolerant if other diary products don't effect you, might just be that particular brand of protein.
  • graelwyn
    Options
    It seems to be worse with casein protein than with whey. I use the USN products.
    I have never tried it in a shake, as I got it mainly to bulk out and give some taste to my yoghurt, and fill me up before bed, in hopes of curbing binge eating issues. I also have milled flax with it, but that only caused me mild issues until I started adding the protein powder.

And milk affects me, IF I have a coffee with too much milk in it, I get bloated and a full feeling.
    but cheeses and cottage cheese I seem fine with.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    anyone ?
    I have the same reaction, whey isolate + greek yogurt. I've tried mixing in various fats with the yogurt/whey combo but with no success. I just eat lean meats instead...probably just a limiting factor with how much dairy one can eat, even with low/no lactose. You are on IF too? The whole time contraint and large amount of dairy don't seem to mix
  • bombedpop
    bombedpop Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Whey protein does the same to me (unsweetened/unflavored). I had to cut it out, I assume the issues are due to it being an overly processed product unlike cheese/dairy. A 3 oz can of tuna in water has the same cal/protein profile as the whey - 80 cal/18 grams protein - easy choice for me - would rather eat the real food than processed to meet my protein levels..
  • graelwyn
    Options
    anyone ?
    I have the same reaction, whey isolate + greek yogurt. I've tried mixing in various fats with the yogurt/whey combo but with no success. I just eat lean meats instead...probably just a limiting factor with how much dairy one can eat, even with low/no lactose. You are on IF too? The whole time contraint and large amount of dairy don't seem to mix

No, not doing IF, but I do have the large majority of my calories between the hours of 8/9pm and 2am including most of my dairy. This problem seems to have built up over the days, it was not too bad the first day, but has now progressed on the fourth day to causing me constant issues all day. It is frustrating as I am looking for something that has a good dessert like flavour to bulk out my greek yoghurt since that is my nightly treat and tummy filler.
  • graelwyn
    Options
    Whey protein does the same to me (unsweetened/unflavored). I had to cut it out, I assume the issues are due to it being an overly processed product unlike cheese/dairy. A 3 oz can of tuna in water has the same cal/protein profile as the whey - 80 cal/18 grams protein - easy choice for me - would rather eat the real food than processed to meet my protein levels..

It has nothing to do with meeting protein levels, I meet those just fine. It is to try and add some nice flavour to what is essentially my nightly dessert, without too many calories, and since protein powders are filling, it seemed an ideal solution.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Gas is a potential side effect of whey protein.

As for lactose intolerance, yogurt doesn't affect someone that is lactose intolerant because the bacteria in yogurt breaks down the lactose for you.
  • coalboilermanBryan
    Options
    I have noticed that the protien shakes they sell seem to cause me to bloat up like a balloon and it is not comfortable at all. I was told I should mix my powder shake in my no fat greek yogurt in the morning...maybe I don't want to now after reading this?? But I like you need something to go to bed on..And was also told that Having that shake mix before bed will help me sleep and build muscle at night.
    Bryan
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Some brands can have more lactose than others. Even if you're not lactose intolerant, you can only handle so much at once. I had that problem with body fortress whey, but I don't have it with body fortress whey isolates.
  • graelwyn
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, I guess I need to find a brand that has the whey isolates, as I am seriously beginning to think I have developed some intolerances over the years, possibly through my past EDs or my underactive thyroid. It is a little annoying, lol. The shops local to me really stock a limited selection of brands, so I guess I shall have to hunt online.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I stopped using protein powder a while back because it just bothers my stomach too much. It's like this horrible protein/dairy bomb hits my system and it just cannot take it. I suggest upping your protein with something else if you find it is bothering you. I don't regret cutting it out.
  • graelwyn
    Options
    I had already ordered this before today's digestive issues hit :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Chocolate-Protein/dp/B002DYIZH6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1341270273&sr=8-2

It appears to contain isolate as well as whey concentrate and lactase.
    I guess I shall give that a try, and if I hit the same issue, find an alternative non dairy based protein mix I guess, maybe one of the egg ones since soya isn't that great for me.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    It is frustrating as I am looking for something that has a good dessert like flavour to bulk out my greek yoghurt since that is my nightly treat and tummy filler.
    What about adding peanut butter instead? I just tried adding the Chocolate & Co. Chocolate peanut butter to my (vanilla) Greek yogurt yesterday. It was pretty tasty.
    ETA: Or for that matter, if it's flavor you're after, why not just eat a flavored yogurt?
  • jslanier007
    Options
    Whey is from milk , try Vegetable Protein Soy-Free, you can google and order online. Good luck
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Whey protein powder is well known for doing this. Of course, yogurt can too. I pretty much solved the problem by going strictly to isolate protein powder. I never use concentrate or the mixes. Isolate is more expensive but far better and easier on your stomach. It would probably eliminate the problem for you. I recommend ProEnergy, which you must buy online. But as a good second, BioChem is good and is an isolate.
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    I was having issues with whey protein as well. I now use plant based protein powder, it doesn't taste as good, but it's a lot easier on my stomach.

edit : this is the one I have -> http://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-Basics-Protein-Chocolate-1-31-Pound/dp/B002J0PD5Q
    I also got the unsweetened vanilla, same brand, but it taste horrible.
  • graelwyn
    Options
    Thanks again guys, I will look into your suggestions :)

To the poster who suggested peanut butter... I cannot have that stuff around, lol. It is a potential binge food for me. I used to add pb2, but it didn't really fill me up or give the same sort of thickness. At this rate, I will just end up going for a normal dessert, haha. I am trying to keep it relatively healthy, but the way I have been farting and needing the bathroom all day isn't really very healthy.
  • sarahkayhoffman
    Options
    My website focuses a ton on digestive issues (www.agutsygirl.com). If the Protein Powder is the problem, it's likely because of an ingredient, typically one that ends in -ose. Protein Powders, even the most raw and "healthy" ones are simply just hard to digest. I lift a lot and eat a primarily protein/veg diet. I always struggle with the powders.