To eat before or after working out in the morning?

Options
zammex
zammex Posts: 36 Member
what do you do?
i normally exercise in the evenings, after work. but im thinking about trying to do it before work instead.
but i wonder, should i eat before or after?

does it even matter?

Replies

• jkrau37
    jkrau37 Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi
    just going by what I have read - apparently morning exercise is for losing weight and evening is for toning body.
    In the morning eat a small amount of protein before you exercise and then eat more after (within an hour on each side to raise metabolism)
  • lisav6
    lisav6 Posts: 56
    Options
    Taken from the Nerd Fitness website:

Work out in a fasted state - Although advanced techniques to get to super low body fat percentages are beyond the scope of this article, here’s another tactic if you want to drop the last few percentage points: strength training in a fasted state first thing in the morning, and don’t consume your first meal of the day until at least 30 minutes to an hour AFTER your workout. This is a technique taught to me by Vic Magary who has used it to drop incredible amounts of body fat in a short amount of time.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    When I work out at 7am in the morning I only eat after - I do have an espresso to start the day though....
  • pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I walk several kms in the mornings but never go out without eating first - usually a wholegrain cereal or porridge with a scoop of protein powder up to about 400 cals - if I don't eat and then burn in excess of 400 cals I come back feeling nauseous.

My walking is done with a heartrate monitor at around 75-85% of maximum heart rate so it is hard work.

As I work afternoons I will do my resistance/weight training on the way home at 9.30pm after my last meal at 5pm
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Taken from the Nerd Fitness website:

Work out in a fasted state - Although advanced techniques to get to super low body fat percentages are beyond the scope of this article, here’s another tactic if you want to drop the last few percentage points: strength training in a fasted state first thing in the morning, and don’t consume your first meal of the day until at least 30 minutes to an hour AFTER your workout. This is a technique taught to me by Vic Magary who has used it to drop incredible amounts of body fat in a short amount of time.

hmmm interesting, I want to switch my workout to the mornings but I eat b/fast at work as i usually start around 7am. This could work, might have to have my coffee first though, lol
  • Flamenquero
    Flamenquero Posts: 132
    Options
    Wake up, drink a glass of water and have a piece of soft fruit. Something like 1/4 of a peach, orange, 1/4 cup of blueberries, etc. Your blood sugar will be down in the morning, so you should have a slight amount of natural sugar so that you don't "pass out on an empty stomach."
  • kellyr0219
    kellyr0219 Posts: 15
    Options
    I usually have just a fiber granola bar beforehand.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    generally, right before breakfast and right before dinner. if i exercise after i eat, then i'm hungry again.
  • jlcl119
    jlcl119 Posts: 51
    Options
    I eat in the morning and then workout about 2 hours later. I've tried working out on an empty stomach and I don't have the energy to complete my workout, especially if I'm running that day.
    That said, lots of people do it.
  • sarahjay1
    sarahjay1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I workout out in the morning as well. I always have oatmeal first and a protein shake after.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Honestly, do whatever feels comfortable to you. If you can work out fasted and not feel light headed or weak during then do that. If you feel that you need a little something in your system and a small meal prior to helps you, then do that.

There will be a lot of people who will tell you that you "have" to work out fasted to get better results or you "have" to eat in order to kick start your metabolism... lots of noise and opinions.

Do what works for you and what makes you feel good.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 5:30 to work out before work and eat after. I'm not hungry at all that early, just want a half cup of coffee to get me awake!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    For a really early morning where I just want to get up and go or don't have time to eat something then I ensure I eat carbs for dinner on the previous night. This helps give me some energy in the early morning. Within 30-60mins after a workout I eat some protein to rebuild and repair muscles.
  • macsgirl526
    Options
    I walk and then eat. Its so hot right now outside that I am afraid if I eat then walk then I may be nauseous.I do walk about 2 hr after I eat in the evenings when its a tad cooler. I think its a personal choice. :) Getting that work out is what matters.
  • Monwilli
    Monwilli Posts: 24
    Options
    I wake up superduper early, so I usually eat breakfast, let my stomach for an hour or so, and then go run or whatever. Afterwards I drink some protein powder.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Only thing I consume before my morning workouts ( 5-6am) is my fish oil tabs and some form of caffeine. I then drink coffee and loads of water between then and lunch, eat about 1/3 my calories at lunch and then the rest at supper. It works well for me.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I run, on average, 30 to 40 km per week in a fasted state (roll out of bed & out the door). You should have an adequate reserve of glycogen for a moderate workout without eating first, when I'm doing my longer runs (90 min to 2 hrs) on Sundays I eat first and run a couple of hours later.

There has been some research that has suggested that from a weight loss point of view there may be a very minor advantage to cardio in a fasted state but when you look at the underlying data the difference is so small it really comes down to a matter of personal preference.

If I was doing weights in the morning I'd have something to eat first.
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Water and coffee is all you need pre workout in the mornings.

If you want even better body composition results look into carb-backloading the night before to fuel the early morning workouts but only if you are strength training.

It's a myth that training fasted is going to shift more body fat if you train in the AM.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Here's the easiest way to look at this. If you don't eat before you workout (especially just after waking in the morning) you'll have less energy which will affect the quality of your workout. You've basically been on a 6-8 hour fast (depending on how long you sleep at night) and your body is looking for a recharge. That said, if you're going to eat before a workout it should be roughly 2 hours before your workout. This gives your body time to digest the food and provide the much needed energy for your workout. Eating right before a workout can also negatively impact your workout. If your body is actively digesting food you just ate, it can not only make you feel not so great it can also rob you of energy needed for your workout. (Now before all my physiological majors start in, I'm over-simplifying here on purpose so let's not get pedantic).

My suggestion is eat 2 hours before you workout and eat something with a little higher carb content. If you cannot eat that far before your workout then my suggestion would be go on an empty stomach. You may have a bit less energy but ultimately you'll feel better than if your stomach is full. Finally as a general rule, carbs before workout, proteins after.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    When I used to workout in the mornings (I just can't bring myself to be at the gym at 5am to get a workout in, which means I would have to wake up around 4:30am) it varied, if I was strugging particuaraly hard that morning I would have some yogurt, or a granola bar, it was enough to wake me up and get me going. I have heard and read that you should work out before eatiing if possible, because like some people have said it is used for maximum fat burn and then eat 30 mins min after your workout. Once I start back school in the fall, my goal is to try morning workouts since I don't have to be to class until 9, and I may try it without eating to start with. I say do whatever works for you though, if you feel you need to eat before your workout, then do, if you think you don't then don't, I know if I workout right after I eat I get sick.