Chocolate/Ice Cream Alternatives!

Options
Okay so, I eat a pretty healthy diet (most of the time) my meals are usually balanced and I try to eat a lot of vegetables. But my massive downfall is chocolate/sweets/ice cream. If I snack on anything it's usually chocolate. So I'm looking for some healthier sweet alternatives please?!

Replies

• Amanda421
    Amanda421 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I had Stoneyfield Greek frozen yogurt (chocolate) this weekend. 100 cal for 1/2 cup and 0 fat. 6g protein. It was not quite as sweet as ice cream but I am hooked.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Go for Chocolate with a higher cocoa percentage. I enjoy 80% Cocoa Chocolate, it can be a little bitter, but after a few bites you get used to it and starts to taste quite great.

Here are a few benefits to eating Dark Chocolate: http://www.allchocolate.com/health/basics/

Just don't over do it and replace your fruit or other healthy snacks for dark chocolate completely lol.

I've also heard people make ice cream out of banana. I can't remember exactly how to do it, but I am pretty sure you freeze a few banana's, put them into a blender and wait for them to go smooth, either eat them then and there or freeze them for a bit longer and then eat them afterwards. Either way there are bananas, freezing and blending involved lol.
  • sonika86
    sonika86 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM.... I AM FINDING IT HARD TO GIVE UP CHOCOLATE...! WHAT SHALL I DO?
  • seamaiden1000
    seamaiden1000 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Chocolate.
    If you crave chocolate, it doesn’t mean your body has a chocolate deficiency, although I think most people would prefer that. Chocolate is high in magnesium. Cravings for it often indicate that your body is deficient in magnesium, which is a common deficiency. If you’re going to eat chocolate, choose organic cocoa and mix it into a healthy smoothie, or eat a small amount of dark chocolate. Because that is unlikely enough to deal with a magnesium deficiency, it’s also important to eat other foods high in magnesium, such as nuts, seeds, fish, and leafy greens.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/what-your-cravings-mean.html#ixzz1zZCge0Vn

Hope the above information helps you find a way of coping!
  • chloeanastasia
    Options
    The magnesium thing is interesting because I don't eat nuts or seeds, I eat cabbage often but not every day. So maybe I should try eat more foods with magnesium in. But seriously I crave chocolate morning noon and night!

Thank you for all your help
  • paulmdepoy
    paulmdepoy Posts: 20
    Options
    For ICE CREAM I found a great recipe on here or another site, I can't remember. Here's what to do:

Peel two bananas and slice them into discs about 1/4" thick. Spread the banana discs on a plate and freeze for 1-1.5 hours until they are frozen solid. Remove from freezer and put them in a food processor. Start processing them until they turn into gravel and the blades stop spinning. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add a small splash of milk. Blend again and scrape down again when blades stop (You might have to scrape a few times). The banana will turn into soft serve ice cream texture. I like to add a Tablespoon of almond butter and a scoop of protein powder!

This recipe makes at least 2 servings. You can eat it right away and it will be like soft serve, or you can put it in the freezer for a bit to harden it up.
  • hiddensmiles21
    Options
    This kind of covers the chocolate and the ice cream thing. I buy a pack of the sugar free chocolate puddings and put half of them i nthe freezer with a popsicle stick pushed thru the foil, freeze for 2 hours and u have a 60 calorie pudding pop, [however if you have time and motivation you can make them from scratch] I leave the other half in the fridge for when I don't want something frozen and eat it with rasberries and a little sugarfree coolwhip. yummm