Help with CALORIES and MACROS

Options
Ladronzz
Ladronzz Posts: 32 Member
Ok so i need advice....is it more important to reach your calorie goal and maybe fall short or go over on your macronutrients? Or is it more important to reach your Macronutrients and maybe be a few calories under or over?? I have been just going for reaching my Macros but now im wondering is reaching the calories more important? Thanks!!

Replies

• jlboyla
    jlboyla Posts: 8
    Options
    Depends on what you are trying to do. Its always important to eat healthy and reach your nutrient goals. If you are trying to drop lbs, pay attention to calories, if you are trying to build muscle and have a very active lifeatyle then you need to have more calorie intake since you would be burning so much energy.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Odd question because if you had hit your macros..then by default your total calories would also be correct.

I just look to always hit my protein and fat allowance, then if my carbs are a little under I don't worry about it.

50-100 calories either way isn't going to make much difference.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Odd question because if you had hit your macros..then by default your total calories would also be correct.

Rounding errors ensure that you'll almost never get to 0-0-0-0. Errors in the food database could explain large discrepancies.
    I just look to always hit my protein and fat allowance, then if my carbs are a little under I don't worry about it.

50-100 calories either way isn't going to make much difference.

^^^ Yup, that's pretty much it in a nutshell. Stick the landing on the macros, let the calories fall where they may unless you find yourself hundreds of calories off - in which case there's something wrong with a food database entry or something.
  • Ladronzz
    Ladronzz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks jlboyla, Myfitnessnmho, and Hendrix....I will just shoot for my macros then...I agree also that the macros should get you the calories but for example

Fat 83.4g 24.8%
    Carbohydrates 379.6g 50.1%
    Protein 190.5g 25.1%

at 3000 cal diet

Im 117 Calories under....and my carbs are 4 grams over and protein 5 grams over.... i could reach my calories but then i'd be totally changing my macros.... Maybe something is wrong im not seeing in the calculatons or input of the food...i dont know...but i appreciate the feedback...