What would you do? Need advice.

Options
Last month I was eating 1350 calories and losing weight quickly until the last week or so. MFP decreased my calories to 1200 calories and I started losing quickly again but am now hungry at night. I wasn't hungry at night before. I really need to lose this weight because it is going to kill me if I keep losing and gaining weight the way i've been doing for so long. It will kill me if I stay the same because I'm 100 pounds over a normal weight. I have to stop this yoyo'ing weight and stay on target. I have 100 pounds to lose and I know it is going to take a very long time to lose but, I don't want it to take forever. Am I being unrealistic thinking I should be able to lose it in about one year. Am I being unrealistic thinking I should be able to do it by eating 1350 calories instead of 1200. 1200 is just not enough for me. When I was eating 1350 calories a lot of the time I only ate 1200 calories but now that they tell me that is my limit I'm having a problem with it.

Replies

• gaia3rd
    gaia3rd Posts: 151
    Options
    I'm not sure if it's realistic or not, because every body is unique, as is every journey to better health. While I believe you can safely lose 2 pounds a week for awhile, I think it's unrealistic to think it'll come off like clockwork. And, once you're closer to your goal, you will want to drop that to 1 pound a week, then 1/2 pound for the last 15 or so. As to the 1200 - I think a great many people find that just too low to be sustainable - better to lose the weight a little more slowly, if necessary, then constantly feeling hungry. If you're losing 1 1/2 - 2 pounds a week eating 1350, then by all means, continue to eat the 1350. If your weight loss stalls, then reevaluate. And good luck to you!
  • Celliott411
    Celliott411 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi Cheryl! Are you working out as well or just limiting your daily intake? If you're working out, the calories you burn at the gym are added to your daily intake so that you can eat more! I have a hard time sticking to 1200 as well, but since I go to the gym every day (and burn an average of 500-800 cals) that's an extra 500-800 I get to eat afterward. This way, I get to eat a bed time snack and be perfectly satisfied.

The other solution, if you're not working out, is to keep eating a higher amount of calories. I'm assuming your 1200 cal a day is to lose 2 lbs a week? If you're not working out, you can maybe lower that to 1-1.5 lbs a week and that way you MFP will increase your daily caloric intake to 1500-1800 and you should still lose weight (just at a slower rate). Good luck!
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Thanks to both of you for your excellent advice. I am going to take your advice and not worry about losing the weight slower. it is better to lose slowly than not at all. And, I have a better chance of keeping the weight off most likely.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,284 Member
    Options
    Thanks to both of you for your excellent advice. I am going to take your advice and not worry about losing the weight slower. it is better to lose slowly than not at all. And, I have a better chance of keeping the weight off most likely.

And you might actually be surprised that the weight keeps coming off even with more calories.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Last month I was eating 1350 calories and losing weight quickly until the last week or so. MFP decreased my calories to 1200 calories and I started losing quickly again but am now hungry at night. I wasn't hungry at night before. I really need to lose this weight because it is going to kill me if I keep losing and gaining weight the way i've been doing for so long. It will kill me if I stay the same because I'm 100 pounds over a normal weight. I have to stop this yoyo'ing weight and stay on target. I have 100 pounds to lose and I know it is going to take a very long time to lose but, I don't want it to take forever. Am I being unrealistic thinking I should be able to lose it in about one year. Am I being unrealistic thinking I should be able to do it by eating 1350 calories instead of 1200. 1200 is just not enough for me. When I was eating 1350 calories a lot of the time I only ate 1200 calories but now that they tell me that is my limit I'm having a problem with it.
    You admit you've been yoyo dieting your whole life, yet here you go again.
    Your way doesn't work.
    Go with how MFP works:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work

And Tips for Newbies
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470367-tips-for-newbies

Just get started by going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.

You have many people here ready to lend support, answer qustions and discuss any challenges.
    You can do this.

All Is Possible!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I think you can change your MFP goal to 1350 or whatever you want. I think that's plenty restrictive enough for you.

I think you can lose 100 lbs. in a year but look at it this way. If you lose 80 or even 60, you are going to feel AMAZING and have done a huge, huge benefit to your overall health. So shoot for the stars but be happy with whatever happens along the way, as long as it's forward progress.
  • SuziQueue
    SuziQueue Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think I would eat the 1350 and up the exercise. Good luck! You can do it.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    1200 wasn't enough for me, so I upped my cals to 1400. Lessening your deficit makes for slower weight loss, but it's not like you'll gain.
  • mommazrulz222
    mommazrulz222 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey cheryl, do you know what your resting caloric burn is? how many calories you need just for daily acitivity? that may be why you feel like 1200 isn't enough for you. A night snack isn't so bad either, just make it small and healthy. How are you spreading your calories out for the day? It's recomended to do 5-6 small meals or snacks a day (around every 3-4 hrs when feasable) and watch the calories from the fluids you drink. What type of physical activity are you doing? May need to adjust your meals so that you consume just a slightly higher level of calories just prior to you physical activity and a light, protein packed snack afterwards.

100 lbs in a year is a lofty goal, but can be done. I have a friend that lost over 100 lbs in a year. But she went from eating out everyday to vegeterian (including chicken, fish, dairy) and worked out 2 hrs a day. It just depends on your current level of health and your commitment level to losing wieght! Just remember, as you work out you are toning muscle and muscle weighs heavier that fat so don't be discouraged if the numbers don't budge a whole lot in the beginning. Also, there will be times you will plateua, you just have to re-evaluate your game plan and make some adjustments. YOU CAND DO THIS!
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your advice, encouragement and support. You are all great. All your advice is very helpful. I have reset my diet profile to decrease my weight loss to 1.5 pounds per week and it has increased my calories to 1450 which is more than enough for me. If I find that is not enough calories i will decrease my weight loss again to 1 pound per week.
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    i would stick to 1350... and healthy choices. maintain your workouts and you will be fine. 1200 wasnt enough for me either i was grumpy and starving.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    you could try low carb, it's easier to stick to goals, and you'll feel better.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Eat more fresh foods, Lean meats. If you eat pre-made, processed, or fast foods....You don't get much for the high calories. I eat alot a day, I'm never hungry and I am always right around 1200 calories. I started here at 232 pounds....and today I'm at 125. You can do it.

Also drink lots of water...it will help you feel full.