standing burns calories?

Options
I just want to clarify so I'm not entering things wrong....

I've read on multiple websites that standing burns calories, as I'm assuming most activities do.

I'm a hostess at a busy restaurant in hollywood: seating people, bussing tables etc.

My heart rate doesn't really go up that often, but I'm on my feet for 6+ hours a day running around (on top of going to the gym).

What do you guys think?

Replies

• neffesther
    neffesther Posts: 55
    Options
    I've been wondering this same thing. I work on my feet for 6+ hours as well, with a decent amount of walking throughout the day. Not sure how to log it. :ohwell:
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    These are the types of jobs that "active" is made for
    put yourself as active and you don't need to log your work as exercise

"Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)"
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Waiting table, in a busy restaurant can but a huge amount of calories. 250 to 300 calories per hour, so if you think you are maxed out at work for half your shift and just busy for the rest of the time 300x3 + 150x3 = 1350 calories. I think it would be easier to set your status to active (if you work five shifts per week) or log your calories if you only work a couple of shifts.
    I worked as a waiter/porter in a four story restaurant in my youth, and at the end of the day I was wiped out. (and I was fit back then)
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Sleeping burns calories too.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Existing burns calories, but you need to set your activity level to active or moderately active. Work isn't exercise, you don't go there ready to raise your heart rate. The only thing I log as exercise is when I go out to exercise.
  • lbecks11
    lbecks11 Posts: 9
    Options
    Whoops I've been entering it wrong. I guess I should set my status to active then since I'm there 5 days a week.

Thanks guys!
  • Springer007
    Springer007 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is: Dont log it as extra activity. Its just part of your every day living. IF it burns a bunch of calories, then your weight loss will just be that much faster and you can adjust from there if its to agressive. If weight is still not coming off then it probably did not burn that many to begin with.