A carb is still a carb?

Options
onikonor
onikonor Posts: 473 Member
Does our body actually need carbs to function (excluding the fiber argument)?

I've seen a lot of posts saying high carb intake will cause people to store fat. But does this apply to complex wholegrain carbs (wholewheat bread, etc.) or just refined carbs (white pasta, rice, etc.). How much carbs is too much?

Replies

• LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    The difference is high GI and low GI carbohydrates and you'll find that your body needs carbohydrates for important things such as energy.

Then ignore those posts that say such nonsense. Everyone can react differently to each macronutrient, carbohydrates are the preferred source of energy for the body and if consumed to excess or not used during exercise will be metabolised and stored. Not half as much as excess fat but it does happen.

Be sensible with your carbohydrate intake, exercise and you'll be fine.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options

I've seen a lot of posts saying high carb intake will cause people to store fat. But does this apply to complex wholegrain carbs (wholewheat bread, etc.) or just refined carbs (white pasta, rice, etc.). How much carbs is too much?

I believe that our bodies (mostly brain) need a certain amount of glucose to function optimally. Note this is glucose, not dietary carbohydrate.

I also believe that this doesn't have to be consumed and can be produced internally ... Gluconeogenisis, etc.

How much is too much? Determined by the individual ... Fiber aside there is a strong argument that we don't need any. Look for 'Esssential Carbohydrate" ... Not much evidence there ...

I don't do 'no carb' but I minimise processed food and just stick to real foods, works for me ...
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    There's no difference in the starch (a complex carb) that is in white or brown versions of things, there's just a bit less other stuff like bran that has been taken out. Wholemeal bread bumps up your blood sugar pretty much as quickly and as far as white bread or white sugar.

Fiber is only a carbohydrate in America so that argument is moot in the UK etc.

There are no carbohydrates you have to eat to live. Fat has more than twice the energy per gram of carbs.
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Options

You got it!! Complex carbs are good for you. I dont know the science behind it. Just keep it in moderation. Its the processed refined crap thats bad!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I dropped from a size 12 to a size 6 in 12 weeks eating carbs every day.

Just sayin'.

Do we need them? Don't know. But for most people, they are not going to cause you to retain or gain weight on an otherwise low-calorie diet.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Carbs are the work of the Devil. Make haste!!!!!!! Quickly now, banish them back the depths of the forsaken!!!!!!!!
  • onikonor
    Options
    There are no carbohydrates you have to eat to live. Fat has more than twice the energy per gram of carbs.

I guess I was always confused about this point. Wouldn't you body go into ketosis with reduced/no carbs and high fat intake? If so, wouldn't being in ketosis all the time be a bad thing since it's will be hard on your system (i.e. kidneys and/or liver)?
  • onikonor
    Options
    Carbs are the work of the Devil. Make haste!!!!!!! Quickly now, banish them back the depths of the forsaken!!!!!!!!

Haha you're too funny
  • onikonor
    Options

Just sayin'.

Do we need them? Don't know. But for most people, they are not going to cause you to retain or gain weight on an otherwise low-calorie diet.

First of all good job on your weight loss :D I get the calories in calories out argument. But so many people comment on other people diaries saying you are eating too many carbs etc etc, so I was just wondering. However, a lot of the time when these comments are made it's about refined carbs.
  • kkmulholland
    Options
    OP: How your body reacts to carbs is a very individual thing. I toiled for YEARS (decades, really) under the low-calorie, low-fat mantra only to be hungry, light headed and not have much success in losing weight. I went low carb per doctor's suggestion in April and I can tell you it has radically changed my life! We have a strong history of diabetes in my family and I think I have some genetics that make me very carb sensitive. Not everyone has this or is affected this way by carbs. If it's tough for you to stick with the low calorie, low fat diet, consider low carb. I still make my calorie goals almost every day that I stay on my plan, even if my fat and protein are high. My rate of weight loss has been far better with eating eggs, cheese, veg and low carb fruit than it ever was eating rice, potatoes and pasta.

Feel free to friend me if you would like more info. I'm not a guru but just willing to help out.

Best of luck in your endeavors!
  • onikonor
    Options
    Well I don't plan on eliminating carbs or fat from my diet I was just wondering why there is so many mixed views on carbs.

I tried the low carb low fat thing for a while but I could not stick with it for longer than a month because I was tired. I decided to opt for exercise instead.
  • rml_16
    Options

Just sayin'.

First of all good job on your weight loss :D I get the calories in calories out argument. But so many people comment on other people diaries saying you are eating too many carbs etc etc, so I was just wondering. However, a lot of the time when these comments are made it's about refined carbs.

Because a lot of people have bought into the myth that carbs are evil and they think their way of eating is the RIGHT way to eat so they want to dictate to everyone else.

There are some people who need to cut carbs to lose. Most do not.
  • Anitalose20
    Options
    First of all congratulations on your weight loss! I started my healthy weight loss / exercise program yesterday. On my plan I only allow 15 grams of carbohydrates per meal and two snacks which only contain 7.5 grams each. When I lose my 20 lbs., I will increase my carb intake to 20 grams per meal. If you exercise for long durations you would increase your carbs for the purpose of energy. Complex / real carbs are the best however all carbs are converted to sugar and excess sugar is converted to fat. If a person has high blood - sugar or triglyceride levels, it is really important to only eat only 15 grams of carbs with each meal. I hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • rml_16
    Options
    Well I don't plan on eliminating carbs or fat from my diet I was just wondering why there is so many mixed views on carbs.

Blame Dr. Atkins.

Oh -- but funny story. My daughter was on her swim team and to raise money they volunteered to work at the concession stand at the civic center for events. One day I was there and they had a bunch of pretzels left over and they were just going to be tossed, so we were allowed to have one if we wanted.

One mother there (who was quite heavy) said no because of the carbs. Then she kept going on and on about how she was going to stop at McDonald's on the way home for McFlurry.
  • onikonor
    Options
    First of all congratulations on your weight loss! I started my healthy weight loss / exercise program yesterday. On my plan I only allow 15 grams of carbohydrates per meal and two snacks which only contain 7.5 grams each. When I lose my 20 lbs., I will increase my carb intake to 20 grams per meal. If you exercise for long durations you would increase your carbs for the purpose of energy. Complex / real carbs are the best however all carbs are converted to sugar and excess sugar is converted to fat. If a person has high blood - sugar or triglyceride levels, it is really important to only eat only 15 grams of carbs with each meal. I hope this helps! :flowerforyou:

That's exactly what I did to drop those pounds so I would feel good enough to start exercising. Although I had about 50g per day then I upped it like you said.
  • onikonor
    Options
    Oh -- but funny story. My daughter was on her swim team and to raise money they volunteered to work at the concession stand at the civic center for events. One day I was there and they had a bunch of pretzels left over and they were just going to be tossed, so we were allowed to have one if we wanted.

One mother there (who was quite heavy) said no because of the carbs. Then she kept going on and on about how she was going to stop at McDonald's on the way home for McFlurry.

BWAHAHAHAHA sugar is a carb lol
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I've read a couple of studies that said no, there is no evidence we need any carbs for our body to survive. BUT they all then recommended in the summary that you eat some value of carbs - although keeping the highly processed carbs off the list was recommended.
  • rml_16
    Options

BWAHAHAHAHA sugar is a carb lol

I'll give her that the ice cream was probably better-tasting, at least. I happened to be starving, so ate half a pretzel and it was nas-ty.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    If high carbs cause people to retain fat, then I'd be the size of a whale by now. So would most of the people living in Asia. IME. what I eat hasn't mattered as much as how much I eat. My diet is pretty much the same as it has always been (heavy on fruits, vegetables, white rice, lean proteins), I just cut down the portion sizes, that's all.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Fiber aside there is a strong argument that we don't need any. Look for 'Esssential Carbohydrate" ... Not much evidence there

By that rationale you don't need to eat saturated fat or monounsaturated fat, since our body can make all we need from carbohydrates.