Desk Job!

Options
OK....I sit at a desk 32 hours a week! (I have Fridays off :happy: ) But I have a constant craving for a snack! I would love to find a low calorie snack that can stay in my office for the week. Something I can reach for when I get stressed or worried, and something I won't feel guilty about later when I get home and my husband asks how I did with my calories that day!!! I've walked down every grocery isle looking for something....did I mention I would like for it to be a little affordable?? Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreicated!! Thank you!

Replies

• ready4change
    ready4change Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Bump! I have the same wants as you! :smile:
  • hjmygatt
    Options
    I just bought a box of Special K bars, 90 calories each. Thought I would give those a try for a snack next week.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    I sit 32 hours a week too!! (Friday's off :smile: ) I usually plan my snacks/meals before I leave the house....Sittign her all day makes me a snacker so I tend to eat low cal break & Lunch so I can snack. Here's a list of my snacks

Popcorn (I pop it at home so the office doesn't smell & put in ziplock bags)
    Carrots
    Apples
    Almonds
    Yoplait light Yogurt
    Light string cheese
    sugar free jello
    Sugar free pudding
    Sugar Snap Peas
    Pineapple
    Any Granola Bar under 100 cals...special K; fiber one; low fat chewy quaker granola bars
    sugar free hard candy/mints/gum

Hope you can use some of these suggestions:flowerforyou:
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Fruit. I usually take 3 different kinds of fruit with me to my desk job everyday. I actually find that all the biting and chewing involved with eating a whole apple is stress relieving. I also keep a package of 100 calorie bags of microwave popcorn in my desk. I also like the Kashi TLC bars.
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    I keep a lot of snacks in my desk.

Light Pringles, sliced pears or peaches (aka fruit cups), granola bars, 100 cal popcorn bags
  • iluv70s
    iluv70s Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Quaker has the mini delights Chocolatey Drizzle. They are 90 calories per pack and they are wonderful! I also snack on almonds, or sugar free jello, or applesauce. There really are a lot of healthy choices out there. Just watch your servings. I always try and get things that are already packaged per serving, such as the pack of quakers or jello, etc. That way I don't have to measure it and worry about eating too much. I know exactly how to count it. I hope this helps.
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    Options
    How about home made pop corn ? i.e. grains you pop in the microwave without butter/oil or added salt ? OK, maybe no the tastiest thing but it's VERY economical, and you can have a big bag full of it before it starts to count in terms of calories.
  • tzvishear
    Options
    get some small boxes of thin pretzel sticks. it will take you a long time to finish the box so your hands will stay busy. each box should be a bout 120 calories.
  • Helen43
    Options
    Berries are good for a snack. Tea is really good too. You can drink it all day and there are so many varieties. Crystal light is my favorite. They even have varieties with fiber, 30 calories, so you feel fuller. Good luck! from one desk jockey to another.
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    I take grapes in my lunch and use them as an afternoon snack most frequently but also use cinnimon almonds (yumm!) and sometimes petite or baby carrots. For emergencies I also have Quaker chewy granola bars stashed away. All of these are mess free and healthful/low calorie.
  • stacey76
    stacey76 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I sit at a desk all week myself. I however do not like fruits and veggies so finding a snack that doesn't add up in calories is hard. My stand by is animals crackers..16 crackers at 120 calories or beef jerky. They have turkey jerky which is lower in calories but is more salty tasting I think. The chicken teriyaki nuggets are pretty good too. Good Luck! Stacey
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Do what Rachel Ray suggests-prep prep prep. When I get home form the store I make little baggies of fruits and veggies to take with me to work (also have a desk job).
    Green beans, carrots, daikon radish, broccoli, peas, celery, cucumbers, edamame, berries, apples, nuts...ect.
    Also, I make either brown rice or quinoa on sunday nights and divide it up into 1/2 cup portions to take in my lunch box daily (yes, I'm 24 and still take a lunch box with me to work).
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job to that our office has a great big tub of candy in it! I never touch it. I bought those pepperidge farms flat pretzels,I bought sweet pickles with splenda, if you look in the chewy granola bar isle. fruit is great. you need to mix up your snacks every day. I buy that 100 calorie popcorn its great for work. I buy those 100 calorie nuts. They have rice cake minis cheddar cheese is great!! Good luck i always eat 2 snack a day at work!
  • jdavis193
    Options
    all of these things i listed are 100 calories and less.
  • jdavis193
    Options
    Whenever I buy popcorn unsalted or unflavored I use the 0 calorie spray butter and a little salt and lawrys seasoning!!!
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Ok, everyone has great ideas about snacks, but what I want to know is how are you people finding these jobs that have Fridays off?????:grumble: Are you hiring??????
  • aythakay
    aythakay Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    the best ones to fill you up AND stave off cravings are-

almonds and walnuts (dry roast)
    pumpkin seeds
    soy nuts
    string cheese
    low fat cottage cheese or yogurt
    apple or berries (get the frozen kind- yum!)
    plain instant oatmeal
    carrots

or any combination of the above.

Hope that helps! I hate the mid-day munchies and these snacks have helped me....
  • aythakay
    aythakay Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Whenever I buy popcorn unsalted or unflavored I use the 0 calorie spray butter and a little salt and lawrys seasoning!!!

BTW- I used to do this as well but that 0 calorie spray really has 25 calories per tsp! It's a marketing ploy- they can get away with claiming 0 calories because of the "serving size" which is something silly like 3 sprays ( I would use like 100....) I still use it but now I just log those calories.
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    I used to keep a little tin of low calorie instant cappuccino mix (like the International Coffee brand) or no sugar added hot chocolate packets at my desk. They're good for when you're not hungry, but just feeling bored and snacky because you're at work. It also feels pretty indulgent to have a nice hot cup of something sweet in the afternoon.
  • jdavis193
    Options
    You are supposed to eat even if you are not hungry!!! Every 2 to 3 hours. I do its amazing.!!! I have lost 14lbs since june