To eat before or after working out in the morning?

Options

Replies

• Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Great idea working out in the AM. It is recommended that you eat a carb - only 100 to 150 calories 1 hour prior to working out (but I have eaten a small piece of fruit like someone else recommended 1/2 hour before and been fine)- but if you are waking up and running out the door, I would skip the eating, maybe just coffee or water. The problem you may run into is if you are like me and don't eat after 5 PM - you'll be gassed in the morning during your workout with no fuel. When you do a strength workout you should eat a mix of protein and carbs 20 - 60 minutes after - it deposts the fuel back into your muscles which is good! There is a lot of opinions out there - listen to your own body and do what you think is best.
  • kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Honestly, do whatever feels comfortable to you. If you can work out fasted and not feel light headed or weak during then do that. If you feel that you need a little something in your system and a small meal prior to helps you, then do that.

There will be a lot of people who will tell you that you "have" to work out fasted to get better results or you "have" to eat in order to kick start your metabolism... lots of noise and opinions.

Do what works for you and what makes you feel good.

This. In fact, I would say this about the many theories on MFP that sometimes seem to oppose one another. Personally I don't eat before I workout in the morning but it's not because I feel I have to. I am used to not eating until I get to the office. I do subscribe to the idea of eating protein within 60 minutes post workout.

This is me too! I wake up have some water, split a coffee with my husband on the way to the gym, take care of what I need to get to work then eat. I tend to work out better on an empty stomach, if I go after work I often feel weighed down, BUT that's me, every one is different, try it and see how you feel.
    Good luck!
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I do both. Coffee and eggs with 1 slice of toast first, then protein shake and banana afterwards with lunch not long after that.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I do both.

I have a small home made protein/granola bar pre-workout for fuel. Post workout I make a protein smoothie with fruit.

It's up to you and how you feel either way.
  • Gapwedge01
    Gapwedge01 Posts: 494
    Options
    i like to eat in the am before i exercise otherwise i feel like passing out...and thats not a fun feeling

I go on 20 mile rides (aveaging 16-19mph) in the early AM during the summer months and I have gone on these rides eating something small and not eating at all. The rides where I have not eaten I have sometimes nearly passed out on my bike which is a horrible feeling. So, I make a point to eat a half of a peanut butter sandwich and some OJ/coffee/or water. If I had eaten some carbos the previous night it is not so bad passing up eating in the mornings. But as a rule I eat and drink something before riding. Everyone is different. Listen to you body. It will tell you what you need.
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    depends on if i am hungry or not.

most times i have some coffee then workout

if i am going to meet up with my trainer i make myself eat something and bring a protein shake because the few times i have gone without eating i end up with a ridiculous headache and get nauseous.

if i am just doing cardio, even longer more intense session then i am ok not eating

but any sort of weight lifting i need to get some carbs in
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I workout in the am and I only have a protein shake before working out.
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    before. you need to energy to complete your workout. When you are done eat some more. then eat some more.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I eat after doing my morning HIIT.
    I prefer performing HIIT in a fasted state as it might burn more calories from fat. Who really knows?
    It seems to work. Whatever.
    So, I get 30 minutes of HIIT in, wait an hour or so, then eat.
    I wait another hour, then get to some strength training, then eat right after that is complete.
    Hope this helped.
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I eat something small like a piece of fruit or 1/2 a cream cheese pita filled with fruit before my morning workout. I personally cannot work out on an empty stomach. I have zero energy and get real light headed. I finish off after my workout with a glass of skim milk once I get to work. I guess each person is different though.
  • BOO2819
    BOO2819 Posts: 6
    Options
    Eat a carb full breakfast before to fuel your body for a good workout...when you have energy, you will work harder during your workouts thus, buring more calories. Also, after your workout drink a protein filled shake to help your muscles recover... Its worked like a charm for me so far! Good luck!
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before a workout anytime between 8am-Noon and routinely burn 600-800 calories. I don't eat immediately I get home either; I usually eat my first meal at 3pm(ish).

Do what works best for you, your body will know what that is.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I eat both before and after.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I usually do my lifting sessions in the morning, so I absolutely of course workout in a fasted state and eat afterwards.
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I usually exercise around 10 when my boys are taking a nap... I eat when I wake up but I make sure that I give myself at least an hour after I eat before starting my workout.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I think you should just try both and see what works for you. I've heard from different people that different things work for them. Personally I would eat before.
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I only eat after my workout or else, it gets ugly (nausea). Right now i'm bicycling to work, so I eat once at work and my last food is at the latest 1:30pm if I want to make it back home at 3h30.
  • Jenism1
    Jenism1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I get to the gym at 6am every weekday. I have a coffee on the drive there and then I have a protein shake after with a banana in it. The I will have a snack around 10:30. Seems to work.
  • LoveActually
    LoveActually Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Personal preference really but I eat before and after the gym. I usually eat a small meal for breakfast, for example a 3'' flatbread breakfast sub from Subway, and then I eat a little something or have a shake after my workout. I am usually lifting and need the grub for energy but I don't want to vomit all over the gym floor so I keep it light. =)
  • sarah692
    sarah692 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Well I haven't tried not eating before a workout in a long time, but when I have before I'd get really light headed and just totally suck throughout the workout. Now I eat half a pb&j sandwich before I work out, or sometimes some fruit. Usually the more I eat the better I work out, and I'm more concerned with seeing progress in my performance than burning the optimal amount of calories so that works for me. :)