Protein: Before or After workout, that is the question :)

Options
So I have heard that it is better to drink your protein either before or after your workout but I can not remember which. And don't know that it is really true. Anyone heard this or know more?

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    You should be taking in a steady flow of protein throughout the day. Your post-workout meal should be low in fat, and higher in protein AND carbohydrates. Pre-workout should also be fairly low in fat and fiber to prevent GI upset.
  • kristustory
    Options
    Ok so I am doing a liquid diet with 3 protein shakes a day. So I should do my morning shake before my morning workout then?
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Ok so I am doing a liquid diet with 3 protein shakes a day. So I should do my morning shake before my morning workout then?

Well...I don't really condone liquid diets. I guess that would be good though. But what are you ingesting after your workout?
  • kristustory
    Options
    Basically just water. Although I did have 2 pieces of beef jerky after my workout yesterday. Just doing the liquid to jump start and rehydrate I have a problem drinking enough water (I don't do it) & I get really (been in the hospital 2x for it) dehydrated. I am being monitored by my doc he knows about it & has me on vitamins....
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Ok, then I would split the protein shake..half before the workout and half afterward.
  • kristustory
    Options
    Thank you soooo much for your help! You Rock! :happy:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    No problem! :flowerforyou: