SO, If i burn calories i have to eat them back??

Options
2»

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    OP, some people eat them back, and some people don't. But regardless of the exercise calories, under 1200 isn't generally recommended unless you're extremely obese (and by extremely obese I mean 'can't walk because of fat', not 'I hate my body in the bikini'). That's because it's really hard to get good nutrition when calories are that low, and because weight lost this way is often not sustainable.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Please read the MFP FAQs. Excellent explanations. And I agree...why are you eating so little?
  • laura0385
    laura0385 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Can anyone help me with this please?! Very similar question but i'm new to the site and a bit confused...

When I do exercise (additional to my general daily activities) my 'NET' at the end of the day is a lot lower than my 'goal' i.e today it was approx 300 at the end of the day but I had burnt about 600cals in exercise as the rest of the day I had been doing nothing

I assume this is good for weight loss?

I'm slightly confused with the meaning of NET as alot of other sites seem to suggest that its the same as deficit which it isn't right?
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Not only should you eat them back, you should eat them back double.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    You eat them back - all of them.
    MFP is set up for us to maintain a net calorie intake every day to equal 1 lb of weight loss per week.
    1 pound equals 3500 calories.
    3500 divided by 7 days equals 500 calories per day. Our MFP daily number already has that 500 calories subtracted.
    When we exercise, that green number goes up, because MFP expects us to eat back your exercise calories to keep your net daily calorie intake steady; that's how MFP works. Read this to learn more.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
    Follow the recommendations on this site for safe, steady and lasting results.
    You could lose weight faster, but what kind of weight would it be?
    Muscle! And that stifles metabolism.
    No, eat right, exercise - both cardio and resistance, lose weight in such a way that maintains health and preserves lean body mass which burns more calories at rest.
    Good luck to you.:flowerforyou:
    All Is Possible!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Options
    Today If i didnt exercise i would have had a net calories of over 1000, but i worked out & burned like 300 .//
    I heard you must eat them back ? I dont think so .

From what I understand is that if you eat the calories you burn you will maintain your weight. You don't have to eat all the calories, just be sure that you eat at least 1,200 calories a day.
    Wrong.
    You eat them back All of them unless you're on some other program apart from MFP.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Today If i didnt exercise i would have had a net calories of over 1000, but i worked out & burned like 300 .//

From what I understand is that if you eat the calories you burn you will maintain your weight. You don't have to eat all the calories, just be sure that you eat at least 1,200 calories a day.
    not true.
    when you plug in your weight loss goals and such into MFP they give you a number, that includes a deficit. so if you did nothing but sit around all day, and ate to that number you would lose weight. when you add in exercise, you make that deficit bigger, which can be unhealthy so its recommended to eat those back so that you still lose weight at the pace you want, and youre giving your body the fuel it needs to function.
    i eat my calories back and have no problems losing weight (as evidenced by my ticker :))

^^ This. I lost 53 lbs. eating back all my exercise calories. I wear a heart rate monitor when I exercise to get an accurate calorie burn, subtract the number of minutes of the workout (for instance if my HRM says I burned 400 calories during a 60 minute aerobics class, I log 340) and eat back all of those calories. I consistently lost 1 pound a week doing this.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Can anyone help me with this please?! Very similar question but i'm new to the site and a bit confused...

When I do exercise (additional to my general daily activities) my 'NET' at the end of the day is a lot lower than my 'goal' i.e today it was approx 300 at the end of the day but I had burnt about 600cals in exercise as the rest of the day I had been doing nothing

I'm slightly confused with the meaning of NET as alot of other sites seem to suggest that its the same as deficit which it isn't right?

calories eaten - calories burned = net calories
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Options

not true.
    when you plug in your weight loss goals and such into MFP they give you a number, that includes a deficit. so if you did nothing but sit around all day, and ate to that number you would lose weight. when you add in exercise, you make that deficit bigger, which can be unhealthy so its recommended to eat those back so that you still lose weight at the pace you want, and youre giving your body the fuel it needs to function.
    i eat my calories back and have no problems losing weight (as evidenced by my ticker :))

^^ This. I lost 53 lbs. eating back all my exercise calories. I wear a heart rate monitor when I exercise to get an accurate calorie burn, subtract the number of minutes of the workout (for instance if my HRM says I burned 400 calories during a 60 minute aerobics class, I log 340) and eat back all of those calories. I consistently lost 1 pound a week doing this.
    And one final point.
    Which program looks like more fun?
    Go with what's more fun - not some starvation, restrictive diet where you lose muscle, stifle metabolism and go without.
    No thanks!
    That's BORING!
  • laura0385
    laura0385 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

• Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    you're allowed to eat them. estimate the calories burned on the lower end, but yes eat them. you can lose weight with and without eating them. but being on a very low calorie diet is not good for long term benefits. you'll more than likely gain it back if you're starving yourself. if you're hungry eat, legitimate hunger, not boredom or from emotions. and you should do well
  • shelbiejo
    shelbiejo Posts: 283 Member
    Options

You aren't even eating 1200 calorie:huh:

Um..1200 is the bare minimum you SHOULD be eating without starving your body. You will not lose anything but muscle and start to store fat if you don't eat at least 1200. I know this from personal experience.

Eating only 1000 and then burning off 300 means that your body is running on 700 calories....Not enough.:noway:
  • CaSome11
    CaSome11 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    wut
    dont u speak english .

this is so funny to me

YES!
  • yoLore
    yoLore Posts: 1
    Options
    The minium calories you should have at the end of the day (after the workouts and eating) should be NO LESS than 1200. Why? Because, you don't want your body to into starvation mode. If after you work out you have less than 1200 calories then you need to bring it up to that number. Remember the magic number is 1200. :glasses:
  • jkh107
    jkh107 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I eat the calories I "earn" for several reasons:

1) 1270 calories a day, my normal goal, is is pretty low and sometimes leaves me hungry unless I am careful in my choice of foods (I am very short and do desk work, that's why MFP set it so low); also it's nice to "earn" a treat at the end of the day.

2) Rapid weight loss / eating too little makes your body really efficient at hoarding calories. I had 2 rapid weight losses due to illness and I have had trouble with my weight ever since! You don't want to send your body into famine mode--that makes it even harder to lose weight in the future and very easy to gain.
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options

Hi Laura - let me use myself as an example. My daily intake is set for 1465. I generally burn 600 calories per day (on average). If I only ate my recommended intake of 1465, my NET would be 1465-600 = 865. If I ate back all my 600 calories burned off by exercise, my NET would be 1465. Either way, I'm still at a deficit for the day.

Your daily intake + your exercise calories = TDEE (total daily exercise expenditure). I tend to eat TDEE - 20% which means I eat back about 80% of my exercise calories.

Hope that helps, and hope I got the math right!