When is thin TOO thin?

Options
In your opinion when is thin too thin? When you lose your period? When your friends and family start commenting on your thinness?
When your bmi is low? I am trying to gain weight because I am too thin. Some people might think its crazy to try to actually try to gain weight but appently I am too thin. What is your opinion on being too thin?

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    When you have lost your period, you are absolutely too thin (if weight is the cause.) You will develop serious problems with your bones.

Family and friends are not always a good indicator--people told me to stop losing weight because I was too thin before my BMI was even at 22. Though if you are no longer a good judge of weight, taking their opinions over your own is going to be the wiser course of action until you are healthy again.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i think when your period stops that definitely too thin
    and if you can see the bones on your chest. that just freaks me out
  • fatmom51
    fatmom51 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I think each person, in consultation with their own doctor, should determine what weight is appropriate for them. Definitely BMI is a benchmark that can help determine if you are within healthy parameters. And if you have ceased having periods, then you probably should gain weight so you are able to have normal bodily functions that depend on healthy levels of body fat.

Contact your doctor and let her help you determine what a good body weight (weight gain) is for you.
  • nfgchick79
    nfgchick79 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should talk to your doctor? I have had family tell me to gain weight but they have a very warped view of what is "thin." I fall right in the middle of my healthy weight range for my height, eat plenty of food and am super healthy. My doctor said I am doing great so I ignore those people. If you are concerned, I would definitely speak to your doctor. They can help you determine what a healthy weight would be for you.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    When your bloodwork numbers are straying out of healthy ranges.
  • acting101girl
    Options
    I agree with all of you:)! The doctor told me to gain and my family did as well! I agree also!!
  • acting101girl
    Options
    I am around 5'6 and 96 pounds. And I do not have periods. My bmi is around 15.9-16.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i go by BMI, as i'm not a bodybuilder. mine is in the 22 range. under 18 would be considered too thin by the BMI scale.

some people who knew me as heavy have given me the "too thin" comment. some even said that before i got my BMI below 25 and into the normal range. however, people who meet me don't think anything of it.
  • alphasigalum
    Options
    I think a BMI of at least 18/19 would be good for you. How many calories a day are you eating?
  • bearsmom82
    bearsmom82 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am glad you are going to follow your doctor's advice to gain weight - from the numbers you report, it sounds like you might be on the unhealthy/too thin end of the BMI scale. Good for you for making a positive decision about your health.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I am around 5'6 and 96 pounds. And I do not have periods. My bmi is around 15.9-16.

Yes sweetie, gaining will be good for you. People comment on me being thin all the time and I'm in the 21 BMI range. Most people don't see you as harshly as you see yourself when it comes to weight (when it comes to being normal weight and slenderness.)

I hope you are going to have the support of professionals during this to help you emotionally with the changes. You'll be so happy the day you realize you can be proud of your body WITHOUT needing to be underweight.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to pay attention to your bmi if your thin. It's not a good thing to look at when you have a good bit of muscle but as far as telling you if your underweight it is. Once I hit the underweight category years ago, thats when all the problems started to occur. Lost my period for a while, bad circulation in fingers and toes, always cold, sickly looking in pictures..
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Based on height and weight I'd say you are much too thin. Probably should gain at least 10-15lbs, and personally I think closer to 30 would be better.
  • acting101girl
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!! Y'all rock! And I am eating probably around 2500-3000 I tried gaining by counting my calories but I would just gain a few pounds then stop counting and lose more weight:/ so I just went to a nutrientist and am on a meal plan! I also drink shakes that support weight gain! Plus protein bars and lots of food:) haha I eat every 2-3 hours! And I try to eat healthy also! But they said to eat some ice cream also hah but not every single day lol!
  • acting101girl
    Options
    Yes I hate being always cold! And I think no period is a good sign of being too thin! And when people get freaked out by your thinnness haha
  • acting101girl
    Options
    Ps. My highest weight was 110 but I stopped drinking soda and started eating healthier and lost weight & I'm also a dancer and take severel classes a week! But I've tried cutting back so the weight. An come on easier
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    After talking to my dr (I'm 5'5, med frame) my goal weight is about 130. I would guess yours to be about the same. I know coming from 95 pounds is tough. So start out with small goals. 5 pounds at a time til you feel comfortable, gain your period back, and your dr is happy. If you are working out and doing weight lifting then you'll be able to gain healthy weight instead of just fat. Just make sure you are eating enough to support your exercise and to gain weight.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I used to be too thin. I was very active and didn't have much of an appetite. Now, I'm still small, but I'm not too thin. And I loooove my curves. Nothing sexier than a round butt, full boobies and a lil padding on the hips. Men like curves. Women seem to favor looking like sticks. I try to stay sexy for my husband. And sexy for me is 130 lbs, not 110, he prefers me that way. I went down to 118 last year, and he just wanted me to keep exercising, but eat for god's sake. But thats just me. If your not healthy, or if your bmi is 18 or lower. Your too thin. You are setting yourself up for health problems. I have never felt sexier, healthier or happier. Fit is beautiful, being a bag of bones is not fit nor is it beautiful. If you are naturally skinny, just wait until you are 30, you should put on some weight.

My advice is....Make sure you are eating enough for your bmr and activity level, and take advantage of your small build. Lift weights, you will never ever bulk up ( small boned people rarely do) But your natural low body fat self will look hot, no cutting needed! Cook, learn to love food. Be grateful for your high metabolism and natural petiteness. And yes, if you don't get your period, your too thin. Unless you are training for the olympics, examine your lifestyle and eat more healthy foods.

:wink:
  • healthierheather
    healthierheather Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to say but you are WAY too skinny!! 96 lbs at 5'6" makes me think that you may have anorexic tendencies. A healthy weight range for a woman that is 5'6" is about 118 - 155 lbs. Anywhere in that range is a healthy weight and BMI.
    Please believe me that I am not saying that you are anorexic but your weight is scary. If you do not gain you may start getting sick soon. Please take care!
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    i think when you start seeing bones that are normally covered up...like your ribs from your back, your sternum/rib cage above your nipple area...when your cheeks looks sunken in and normal things like walking around or getting out of bed seems like a lot.

when you lose that *healthy beautiful glow* people have when they are healthy. and when your hair starts falling out and your period stops. i havent had my period in over a year but i am not thin whatsoever i think its just a low body fat thing because my muscles make me look big.