How Many Pounds Until People Notice?

Options
I've lost around 7 pounds so far of the 50 pounds I need to lose. I haven't really told many people that I am trying to lose weight. I am waiting for people at work to start noticing. I'm wondering about how many pounds it takes until it is obvious to people that a person has lost weight. I'm thinking it will be around the 20 pound mark. When did people start noticing your weight loss?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It will be different for everyone depending on height, body composition, etc. but I started to notice it on myself after 20 pounds and other people started to notice after about 15 pounds.
  • pandelka
    pandelka Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The other people noticed after 15 pounds, but I still don't notice on myself.
  • taliesyn_
    taliesyn_ Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Others noticed the difference with me at around 20 lbs; for me it was nearer 50.
  • AnnyaSB
    AnnyaSB Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm 20lbs down now and the only person to notice (or to comment at least) is my DH - and I suspect that's only to make me feel better!
  • reallyally1
    Options
    It took about 15/20 pounds for people close to me to start noticing, and it was only after I lost 50 pounds that people at work starting commenting about how good I look, etc. But I still have about 30 pounds to go so people will probably start noticing sooner for you. :)
  • Danardeener
    Danardeener Posts: 255
    Options
    I'd say about 20lbs., before they start to notice.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    It took about 15/20 pounds for people close to me to start noticing, and it was only after I lost 50 pounds that people at work starting commenting about how good I look, etc. But I still have about 30 pounds to go so people will probably start noticing sooner for you. :)

This is how it happened to me.... They say 30ish pounds is when it is most noticed.
  • Desika87
    Desika87 Posts: 111
    Options
    I lost about 11 lbs so far and today my grandmother told me, that I look great :-) such a nice and sweet compliment!
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    15 or 20lbs
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I agree, it is different for everybody. I started with 100 pounds to lose. The first 30, all I got was "Have you lost weight? Your face looks thinner!"

Its not until almost 50 lbs that I started getting people say they notice my actual body changing.

But you, with only 50 to lose, might start turning heads waaay sooner then 30 lbs! Just keep your goals prioritized, keep yourself motivated and do not allow a lack of comments from other people to deter your efforts! They will notice soon enough! Good luck!
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    Bump
  • MermaidFaith
    MermaidFaith Posts: 495 Member
    Options
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I had to lose almost 40 lbs before anyone at work noticed because I usually wear baggy button down shirts. Once they did start noticing though seemed like everyone had something to say.
  • shicken684
    shicken684 Posts: 36
    Options
    People started to notice about 15-20lb on me. I didn't really see much difference until recently. I havn't dropped much more weight, but my bf% is down about 8%
  • BeSophisticate
    Options
    It really depends. If they see you every, they might not even notice at 20 pounds.

On the other hand, for people who see you only occaisionally, they might notice as few as 5.
  • CindyM0605
    CindyM0605 Posts: 18
    Options
    I'm hoping once I hit that ellusive 30 (1.1 pounds to go!) that someone will say something without me having to hint at it. LOL
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It was about 20 for me. I lost in my upper arms and torso. I agree that everyone is going to be different. It depends on where your fat is stored.
  • camy_chick
    camy_chick Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    i lost about 50(gained some back now though :( ...) before people started noticing at all.....and i had at the time about 200 to lose. it's different for EVERYONE...but i would say about 1/4 of the weight will for sure get people to start noticing. So around 10-15 pounds for you people should really start noticing i think.
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i think the better question is how many inches until people notice? ive only lost 12 pounds but ive lost 12 inches already and look a ton different.
  • paulvt65
    paulvt65 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've dropped fourteen pounds and my wife is the the only one to have said anything to me... depressing really! Fortunately, I am doing it for me.