Speed Intervals or Constant above average speed?

Sparksfly
Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
When working out which is better for calorie burning?

E.g.- Running at 5.5mph for 30 mins

or

Speed intervals...2 mins at 7mph 2 mins at 5 mph....etc. up until 30?

Replies

• Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    err 6 mph I meant..for 30 mins
  • CarmenSantiago
    CarmenSantiago Posts: 681 Member
    I've read interval training is the best for burning calories.
  • I do a lot of speed work with my training. I'm not sure how it is with calorie burn but I know I am a lot more tired after speed work than I am with a run of roughly the same pace for an hour. I usually do it in 1/4 mile intervals where I'll run at 7.0 and then speed it up so I'm running a 6:45-7:00 minute mile for 60-120 seconds and do repeats that are similar like that. I find the time goes by faster too!
  • gwen2009
    gwen2009 Posts: 6 Member
    I love speed and incline intervals on the treadmill SO much better than running at a steady pace. Even if I don't run as far, I feel like I get a better work out, and I burn more calories in the same amount of time.
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    I can burn in 20 minutes of HIIT training in what takes me 45 minutes to burn doing steady state cardio. Not to mention I like the variety & that helps keep me motivated. I think your body is also way less likely to adapt to HIIT training & I get my best results when I'm confusing my body & changing up what I do. I don't give my body time to adapt to my workout. I have read over & over that HIIT training also gives you an "afterburn" so that you will continue to burn calories even after you stop working out (for up to 24 hrs!). There's also the fact that for many poeple high intenisity exercise often blunts hunger. I personally can "zone out" during steady state cardio (which was always part of why enjoyed running...gave me time to think or in some cases not think). With HIIT I can't really zone out & that allows me to push myself more. I also think doing HIIT has allowed me to increase my stamina & heart & lung capacity. I personally like a mix of both types of cardio, but if I had to live w/just one it would be HIIT (high intensity interval training)

(sorry for the long answer!)
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    I can burn in 20 minutes of HIIT training in what takes me 45 minutes to burn doing steady state cardio. Not to mention I like the variety & that helps keep me motivated. I think your body is also way less likely to adapt to HIIT training & I get my best results when I'm confusing my body & changing up what I do. I don't give my body time to adapt to my workout. I have read over & over that HIIT training also gives you an "afterburn" so that you will continue to burn calories even after you stop working out (for up to 24 hrs!). There's also the fact that for many poeple high intenisity exercise often blunts hunger. I personally can "zone out" during steady state cardio (which was always part of why enjoyed running...gave me time to think or in some cases not think). With HIIT I can't really zone out & that allows me to push myself more. I also think doing HIIT has allowed me to increase my stamina & heart & lung capacity. I personally like a mix of both types of cardio, but if I had to live w/just one it would be HIIT (high intensity interval training)

(sorry for the long answer!)

I have also read in quite a few articles that HIIT gives you a much better afterburn, so that's what I would go with. Plus, the workout is much more fun that way.:smile:
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    When working out which is better for calorie burning?

E.g.- Running at 5.5mph for 30 mins

or

Speed intervals...2 mins at 7mph 2 mins at 5 mph....etc. up until 30?

When I am really focused on losing weight I use both options. HIIT 2x per week. And on the other days I will do steady state cardio.
This discussion has been closed.