Intimidated by group classes

Options
I've been a member at a gym since January of this year and still have yet to go to ONE group class for one reason - it is intimidating to me. At first I wanted to go to yoga because it is something I've never done before...but the fact that I've never done it before made me feel silly, so I never went. This trend has continued through to other more challenging classes as well. When I was in college I didn't have a problem going because my roommates and friends were there with me, but now I don't have anyone to go to the classes with! Am I alone here or are there other people out there that have the same problem??!!

Replies

• Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    My cable company has a thing called excersize on demand...kinda like payperview, but free. There's some yoga classes on there. Maybe you can check and see if you have something similar, so you can try it at home and then take a group class.

Good Luck
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    You have to start somewhere. So it's intimidating, standing outside the door isn't going to change that.

Jump in.
  • kristustory
    Options
    I felt the same way. For a long time I would not do ANYTHING exercise wise in front of people. Mostly because of my weight & thinking everyone would be starring & laughing. But one of my good girlfriends (who happen to be a size 6...) was in a kickboxing class & always talked about how great it was, knowing that was something I ALWAYS wanted to try. So I finally went. And I actually did better my first time there then most the other girls who were in for a couple weeks & a lot smaller then me. I say try it! You will probably love it & once you go the fear is gone :) Good luck!
  • cherie2304
    cherie2304 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of with you in that boat. Last year I would go to the kickboxing class all the time but really wanted my friend to go with me. She doesn't go to classes because she says shes not coordinated. Now that we are on this journey together I will not go to a class because she won't go. Its really not a good thing because I know how much fun the classes are. They really push you. I say if you want to go then go. Push yourself out of your comfort zone and JUST DO IT!!! hahaha. One of these days when the gym offers a class when I can go maybe I will do it to.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I use to feel that way but I forced myself and now I love trying new things. Recently I have taken up spin class which I found to be particularly intimidating.

Remember one thing, everyone in that class was new at some point so they all know how you feel. And odds are you won't be the only new person in the class.

Just go for it! The faster you do it, the faster you will cease to be the newbie.:flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Here's something to ponder:

Everyone in the room had their "first class". Everyone. No one was born doing spinning or yoga or whatever. . .

Take the plunge! You literally have nothing to lose but your fear and some weight.:flowerforyou:

edited to add: Ah, Kat. . .great minds post alike!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I like to go to classes (and bars, and the store, and to eat) alone to remind myself how independent I am and how little I care what other people think about me. Very few people will bother to notice whether you're coordinated. Those that will judge you aren't worth your time anyway. Go! It's REALLY FUN!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite quotes is "Move and your heart will follow"

a few more good ones:

~When in doubt, just take the next small step.

~Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.

~No one is in charge of your happiness but you.

~Always choose life.

~Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.

...and of course,
    Just Do It. :wink:

The people at the gym are all there for the same reasons, and they all had to start somewhere. You'll make new friends in the classes that enjoy doing the same things, and who knows: maybe your friend will see you having so much fun and decide to try it too. Be the inspiration!!
  • Kait_liiin
    Kait_liiin Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I feel ya! It can be totally intimidating. But when I get embarassed or self-conscious, I like to remember a line I once heard on Dr. Phil:

"You wouldn't care so much what people thought about you, if you knew how seldom they did."

Usually helps put things into perspective for me. The others in the class are all too busy worrying about their own gym-short weggies to notice yours. :)
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    When I was an instructor at the gym... I LOVED seeing new faces! Especially when those new faces show up again and again...and then become "regulars". Honestly, most people don't watch those around them because they are focusing on their own form and their own workout. Have fun! Take some classes!! A lot of those classes will help to work different areas of your body and give you a new workout and help beat the "plateau"!!! Good luck!!
  • PanicAtTheBuffet
    Options
    I think when you get older and look back, you realize how little you care about what other people think. That's probably why you see so many old men wearing white shorts, knee-high black socks, and sandals. (Heck, I'm almost there!)

Just go. Today! (You too, cherie2304)
  • rosemh83
    Options
    I currently teach BodyPump and BodyAttack! I'll personally tell you that when new people come in, they are welcomed with warm smiles and encouragement. We have ALL been in that position of starting for the very first time. I promise you that when the music starts, all eyes are on the instructor (sometimes this freaks me out lol but i get over it). No one looks at you unless your doing something TOTALLY different like running when people are laying down, and I doubt you'll be doing that.

by the end of the class, you'll feel great! And over time you'll even make freinds and they can be gym buddies because they will start to notice if you haven't been coming to class.

Start with a simple class, like yoga where the lights usually turn off so you'll comfy. Then the next class you try, start in the back but make sure you can see what the instructor sees.

And always use lower options. I'm an instructor and even I get tired. Everyone is LOOKING right at me, so I can't hide in the back if I dont' feel like going crazy that day. Take advantage of that luxury :).

Best of Luck!:happy:
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    I am more intimidated to work out by myself in the rest of the gym. I never know what the heck I'm doing. And I am actually more at ease in group exercize classes cuz A. there's an instructor to follow B. they will help to correct ur form/ posture when necessary and be very helpful C. no one is watching you, a lot of ppl are also new and clueless and u will find a few ppl trying to keep up.
    Just go in and try to be a few mins early to talk to the regulars or even the instructor about the class, what to expect and any tips they have. Also try to go in the back that way u can see everyone in front of you and follow them, I doubt anyone will be turning all the way around to look at you.

You can do it!
  • mavsfan2009
    mavsfan2009 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Thanks, guys I feel much better about it now.

I like to hear some people feel the same way, too. So what if I embarrass myself? Everyone had their first class at some point. I think I'll go to a class tonight!
  • allisontaylor
    Options
    I agree with the others....GO FOR IT!!! I too used to be terrified of trying new things by myself, but getting over that hurdle can be very empowering. First, I signed up for a self defense course by myself. Then a marathon (woohoo!). Then a Body Pump/Group Power class at a local gym. I did all these things by myself, and feel so much stronger (mentally and physically) because of it. Heck, I've even progressed to TEACHING the Group Power class! And now that I'm no longer the "newbie", I can also attest to the fact that others are checking their own form and watching the teacher - NOT the others in the class. And yes, us teachers LOVE LOVE LOVE to see someone new come in and try it! I suggest that you give it 3 chances before deciding whether or not to stick with it, cause it may take you that long to get comfortable with it. Overcoming fear and intimidation can be an amazing experience - enjoy your journey!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Thanks, guys I feel much better about it now.

I like to hear some people feel the same way, too. So what if I embarrass myself? Everyone had their first class at some point. I think I'll go to a class tonight!

Atta girl!!!!!! yesssmileyf.gif
  • wks7777
    wks7777 Posts: 230
    Options
    Just do it! Trust me there were classes and still are that i have been super intimadated by, im always on my own too, never have anyone to go with me and it sux. But the point is gettin a good work out and in that type of setting u WILL! Recently i tried two new classes that i was scared to do cuz they looked really hard but they were not that bad and i love them now and have started doing them in my routine now and they are great work outs!Just try it!
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I just joined a gym last month and took my first class last week a cardio/tone class - I did the second one last night! I am a very big girl, and it seemed, at first, to be a class of very fit folks, but upon closer inspection, it really is all shapes and sizes.

I was very intimidated too, but I am learning to overcome that. My new motto is "Keep an open heart". Watching a few folks I know who seem to be able to do "stupid" things and then laugh them off, or do intimidating (to me!) things, I have discovered that this is their secret. When you open your heart, you think less about how you look and more about the fact that your intent was genuine.

With that in mind, the first thing I did was go up to the instructor and say "Hi I'm new to these kinds of classes - how intense is this and what do I do?" She was so helpful and it was so much easier admitting I was new than trying to look like I knew what I was doing.

Second - I modified anything I couldn't do - wall push-ups instead of on the floor, for example. I stayed near the back and outside edge, so that I could change up without interupting anyone else. I also told my instructor that I have really bad knees, so not only did she make some recommendations to modify when she showed a move...it also helped me feel better when I did something different, to know that she already knew why I was doing that. I know they expect people to do only what they can, but it helped me feel less like a stand out just to have her know that.

Third - close your eyes and think of the last time you were in a crowd of strangers. How many can you specifically remember in terms of what they were doing or how they looked. It helps to remember that we really are just one of the crowd.

p.s. last night at least 2 people fell off the yoga ball while trying an exercise - no one thought it was silly or embarassing - in fact our instructor pointed out that you aren't really doing the exercises, until you fall off at least once!!! Remember - Open heart!

I actually cried a little after the first class, it was such an adrenaline rush to get over that first hump and actually complete the class!
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Of course it's intimidating to walk through the door and stand around waiting for the class to start if you're alone! I'm totally with you on that one!

Once the class starts, I PROMISE no one is looking at you! They're looking at the instructor or themselves (if there are mirrors).

Just try it out! It's one hour of your life. You'll probably feel really great after and really sore in the morning! :bigsmile:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I was really scared to before I started but quicly realized lots of people feel the same way....I started in the farthest back that I could - now I am always front row!!