How Many Pounds Until People Notice?

Options

Replies

• steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    It took about 50 pounds for me before people starting commenting, but that is when I started wearing smaller clothes as well. Now I get comments all the time. I think it's odd to hear people call me skinny when I still have 50+ more pounds to lose, but I'll take it. Lol.
  • emmymae22
    emmymae22 Posts: 206
    Options
    It took me losing 50 before people started to say anything!!! then again, I was almost 300 pounds when I started..
  • lucyannp
    lucyannp Posts: 15
    Options
    I'm down 9 pounds and a friend noticed the other day which was nice :) I'm 127 pounds and 5'2... it doesn't sound like much but most of my height is in my legs which means a large roll around my waist and hips where all my fat seems to go! Finding it hard to shift the 'spare tyre' but when that starts to go I'm hoping people will notice more, just because I'm not very good at seeing my true self in the mirror!

I have to say don't expect much from female friends esp if they've put on a little weight recently. Women are oddly competitive and don't like their friends getting thinner!
  • MaybeAMonkey
    MaybeAMonkey Posts: 247
    Options
    It's definitely different depending on your body. I'm only 5 feet and half of an inch tall and when I dropped 8 lbs it was noticeable in my face and several people commented. I have mini goals set on MFP, so I can re-evaluate my progress as I reach those goals, but it was great to hear that someone noticed. You'll get to the point where people not only notice your weight loss, but also your changed eating habits, your positive mood, your increased energy, etc.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    My mom and grandma noticed at around 13 pounds...in fact, they both saw me at two different times in the same day and said something. They both knew I was losing, but it was out of nowhere. I see it on myself too, though. Running is definitely helping me lose a lot of inches in my mid section. Last time at 22 lbs down, I didn't see it on myself and very few people noticed it.
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm 20lbs down now and the only person to notice (or to comment at least) is my DH - and I suspect that's only to make me feel better!

This is driving me mad so I have to ask... What does DH actually stand for? I know its relating to the person's significant other but what is 'DH' the abbreviation for? The first thing that comes to my mind is not complimentary!!! Lol...

And in answer to the question, I only had about 25lbs to lose... No-one really noticed until I got to the last 7-8lbs then EVERYONE started commenting! :)

dear husband
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    30lb mark but everybody is different :)
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the person. 10lb is obvious on my frame, but on other people if can be over 28lb until someone notices. It depends on how much weight you have on you and how much that weight shows.
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It took 15 lbs for me before anyone said anything. Once I hit 18, the girls in the office started to get a little jealous.
  • andrakierstead
    Options
    For me people started to notice around 20 pounds and even more so when I started wearing smaller, form fitting tops and pants. I still wore my big clothes up until I lost the 20 pounds then I could fit into some of my smaller clothes that I saved thank goodness. Good luck and don't get discouraged because people may not notice yet, I started to get discouraged for the same reason but stuck with it and I'm so glad I did. I have hit a plateau for about a month with no weight loss but I'm sticking with it. Keep up the great work. :)
  • MaybeAMonkey
    MaybeAMonkey Posts: 247
    Options

This is driving me mad so I have to ask... What does DH actually stand for? I know its relating to the person's significant other but what is 'DH' the abbreviation for? The first thing that comes to my mind is not complimentary!!! Lol...

I've always known DH to stand for "darling husband" or "dear husband".
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    It was 25-30 for me.
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm 20lbs down now and the only person to notice (or to comment at least) is my DH - and I suspect that's only to make me feel better!

And in answer to the question, I only had about 25lbs to lose... No-one really noticed until I got to the last 7-8lbs then EVERYONE started commenting! :)

dear husband

Lol... Thank you! I thought that might be it but I've never actually heard anyone say 'Dear Husband' before... Must not be common in Australia?? :)
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    When people notice, and when they decide to mention it, can be quite different.
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm down 9 pounds and a friend noticed the other day which was nice :) I'm 127 pounds and 5'2... it doesn't sound like much but most of my height is in my legs which means a large roll around my waist and hips where all my fat seems to go! Finding it hard to shift the 'spare tyre' but when that starts to go I'm hoping people will notice more, just because I'm not very good at seeing my true self in the mirror!

I have to say don't expect much from female friends esp if they've put on a little weight recently. Women are oddly competitive and don't like their friends getting thinner!

This is so true !!! Once you hit 20 lbs your heavy co-workers start to treat you differently.
  • lmatteson04
    lmatteson04 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It is definately different for everyone! I had only lost 8 pounds and had tons of people ask me how much weight I had lost so far. After recently having a baby, the first area I started to loose in was my stomach and it was noticeable. Good luck on your journey!:flowerforyou:
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    One person noticed mine around 10 pounds. Most people noticed after 20 pounds.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    More than 9 :frown:
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    about 20 for my family
    everyone else about 35-40 pounds
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Last week when I hit 30 pounds tons of people at work noticed. It must have been in part the fact I was wearing some pretty tight jeans (ones I just started fitting into, but they aren't quite as comfy loose as I normally wear my jeans), but about 5 or so people said something to me within a couple hours, it was like they had a meeting about it or something :-) Some of them said they had noticed earlier, but didnt' want to say anything. It was nice to get that recognition. If you want people to notice, make sure you're wearing clothes that fit your changing body, if you stick in the clothes that are getting baggy, it's harder to tell.