Tiny steps are still steps

Options
So, I have been doing this whole "new healthy lifestyle" thing for about a month now and so far, so good. I am feeling good and losing pounds and inches.

Saturday evening I went out to dinner, something that I haven't done since I started this a month ago. Worst yet, I went to Chilis. I ordered those little burgers, you get four little burgers with fries and onion thingys. Well, I only ate half! Growing up in a family that insisted on it, and going through times where I had no money to buy food; I am a person that MUST clean my plate. Even if I don't like what i'm eating, I just can't waste food. So, for me, leaving half of my meal on my plate was a VERY big accomplishment for me. I felt so proud of myself, and best of all, I didn't have that ate-so-much-my-buttons-are-gonna-pop yucky "full" feeling. Even better, when I went to log my calories, I knew that even though that wasn't the best thing to have for dinner, I would be able to cut the cals in half! All in all, an awesome night!

Now, if I could find a way to only drink half of my cocktails!

Replies

• tlitzner
    tlitzner Posts: 124
    Options
    So, I have been doing this whole "new healthy lifestyle" thing for about a month now and so far, so good. I am feeling good and losing pounds and inches.

Saturday evening I went out to dinner, something that I haven't done since I started this a month ago. Worst yet, I went to Chilis. I ordered those little burgers, you get four little burgers with fries and onion thingys. Well, I only ate half! Growing up in a family that insisted on it, and going through times where I had no money to buy food; I am a person that MUST clean my plate. Even if I don't like what i'm eating, I just can't waste food. So, for me, leaving half of my meal on my plate was a VERY big accomplishment for me. I felt so proud of myself, and best of all, I didn't have that ate-so-much-my-buttons-are-gonna-pop yucky "full" feeling. Even better, when I went to log my calories, I knew that even though that wasn't the best thing to have for dinner, I would be able to cut the cals in half! All in all, an awesome night!

Now, if I could find a way to only drink half of my cocktails!
  • lmg95
    lmg95 Posts: 4
    Options
    the one thing I've learned to do much better since working full-time is to be Patient. Losing weight/making changes like this in your life you have to be patient which goes right along with taking tiny steps.
  • jfiscer
    jfiscer Posts: 24
    Options
    I, too, was raised in a family where we never let anything go to waste. It's difficult for me to
    leave food on my plate everytime I eat.
    A trick i've learned for when we go out to eat is to ask for half of the original dish, even if
    it costs the same as a full plate. That way I can still clear my plate without feeling
    guilty.
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Ok this is a little late.. but OH well.... I think whom ever started the CLEAN YOUR PLATE rule should be shot.. It is very hard to not eat everything especially when your little voice in your head tells you YOU MUST... SHEESH.... anyhow... Just Thought I would share that....:bigsmile:
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Good for you!:flowerforyou: I always got the kids are starving in Africa speech and always had to clear my plate, even if it was yucky and I was gagging on it. Now I never clear my plate and even though I do feel bad about wasted food, I never make my kids clear there plate. I always try to make just enough, and sometimes there's not enough and sometimes there is a bit extra, but it is a hard thing to get over, I'm proud that you could do it!!