How Many Pounds Until People Notice?

Options

Replies

• JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have a photo record of mine...in Mid-april I had lost 7 pounds and still looked really gross.

by mid may I had lost another 5 lbs or so ( 13 pounds or so in total) and I could see a change

by mid June I had lost another 3-5 pounds ( 15-17 pounds total) and one night hubby said "you have hips!"

this is the first week in July, and just today I hit 21.2 pounds gone. I can see a difference for sure.

I definitley agree, I started to see a real change when I hit 18.5 lbs gone.
  • KauandMe
    KauandMe Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Well, this is encouraging in a way. So far, no one has noticed except my mom and husband, and that's only because they know I've been trying!

I'm down 16 lbs :-)
  • deniselynn13
    deniselynn13 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss so far! =)

People noticed on me at 5-7 lbs. I think that was mainly in my face though. When i hit 10-15 lbs, more people started commenting. When i hit 20 and 30 lbs it seemed like everyone began to notice and say something! I am at 42 lbs lost now and still have a ways to go but i have lost close to 30 inches in total all over (chest, waist, arms, hips, thighs and calves). I think a lot depends on height, where you carry your weight etc.

Good luck and conitnued success!!!
  • ShannonGo
    ShannonGo Posts: 60
    Options
    My husband's best friend was the first person that said I looked different and he knows that I am seeing a dietitian and trying to lose weight. I feel like he doesn't count! But he said specific things - my face, my waist, etc. so I kind of give him credit for not just trying to be nice, but actually meaning it. He pointed out stuff that even my husband missed (though my husband immediately agreed with him - it was super funny)... I was right around 15lbs when he noticed. He hadn't seen me in maybe 2 weeks at the point and I had lost probably 4lbs between the last time we hung out and when he noticed. When I walked in the door, my DH and his best friend were playing video games and he pronounced, "WHOA! HOW DO YOU FEEL? YOU MUST BE FEELING GREAT!" Very enthusiastic.

I noticed at about 10. My lower back/upper butt area was flattening out. My clothes - especially my pants - where not fitting properly. I am at almost 20 now and no one has noticed other than my DH and his best friend. My DH sees specific changes and points them out. P.S. I am 5'3, so I definitely agree with previous posters who said it takes 15-20 for others to notice if you're short... My brother in law lost 50lbs before people really noticed - he's 6'3.
  • Prudiddy
    Prudiddy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Hi - People started noticing my waist after 1 month (12lbs) Then they started noticing every place else at (18lbs) and now every one is noticing and they say it looks like I've lost more than I have lost! Yippy! That makes me so happy!
  • Lovely135
    Lovely135 Posts: 161
    Options
    It depends on the person. for me it's hard to tell when some one lost some wt. before I notice it. When I am losing wt., my husband can tell after I just lost 5 lbs. People at work can tell after I lost 10lbs. My sister can tell after I lost 25lbs.
  • Daizy426
    Daizy426 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I work with a bunch of men and one woman. After 30 lbs I though SOMEONE would say something. It took a few weeks and then I got three seperate comments all in one day!! I think for some people commenting is in the same gray area as asking someone if they are pregnant, lol. I won't ask even when the belly is 9 months baked and mom is 100lb soaking wet, I just won't chance it.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It al depends on where you start at and your body composition.

I know for me I wore the same clothes until I had dropped about 20 lbs and then bought some stuff in smaller sizes that was more form fitting to my body - once I started wearing smaller clothes that actually fit my body EVERYONE noticed...
  • KatProf27
    KatProf27 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think it also depends on how often they see you. People you see every day probably won't notice as much as those who see you less often. Congrats on your progress!
  • Snapshotgirl
    Snapshotgirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, people will notice long before they will say anything. Sometimes folks are not sure whether or not to say anything. I had a co-worker lose almost 100 pounds but she was very shy and I hesitated to say anything.
  • 25daniow
    25daniow Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" tall and have lost 28 lbs so far and this month everyone all of a sudden seems to notice! I was getting frustrated because I was feeling like nobody could tell and of course I'm always thinking that I don't look that different. But WOW....now everyone has been making comments...saying I look great and asking what I'm doing and if I've lost weight. FINALLY!!!! It is great motivation knowing that the work I'm doing is starting to show!!! My goal is to lose 53 lobs total...I know I can do it...and can't wait for the day I get there! Keep at it...and eventually people will notice!
  • Chantal34
    Chantal34 Posts: 128
    Options
    10 lbs
  • emmymae22
    emmymae22 Posts: 206
    Options
    about 20 for my family
    everyone else about 35-40 pounds

That was actually true for me too Liz. My family noticed after maybe 20. Nobody else said anything until 50, and now that i'm -75, people that I haven't seen in a while have generally noticed. most of 'em anyway. my in-laws didn't! :(
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that other people noticed at -50 pounds but for myself I noticed around -20. It also depends upon how much you have to lose.

A 300 pound person losing 50 pounds may not be as noticeable as a 180 person losing 50 pounds.
  • teach54
    teach54 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My co-workers didn't notice that I had put on nearly 30 pounds, so I'm not really expecting them to notice when it's gone. I think it does depend on your body and how quickly you're progressing. I gained the weight over 2 1/2 years and am losing about 5 pounds a month. People I see every couple months or so noticed the missing 15 pounds right away!
  • isis2triple0
    isis2triple0 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I think it's different for everyone but, I think around 25 people started to notice but, for myself to really see about 45lbs is when I actually could noticeably see for myself!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    close friends and family noticed around 20, Last time I lost weight it wasn't till the 30 pound mark. BUT I have 70ish pounds to lose before I have a healthy BMI.
  • lmeasterling
    lmeasterling Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    After dropping the first 5 of the 7 pounds I've lost so far, my husband started calling me "Skinny Minnie." lol. That's about how long it took for me to start noticing, too. :)
  • mkerchal23
    Options
    I am short 5'3" with a larger/muscular frame. I have been working out and monitoring what i eat for 42 days now and I have lost 12 lbs. People were noticing after 8 lbs. But that is probably due to the fact that I am short.
  • TeTeAngel
    TeTeAngel Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    After 20 pounds one person at work commented. I told my family how much I had lost, then they commented. When people comment without me telling them I am dieting or have lost weight then and only then am I sure they really see a difference.