Rolled oats, wheat germ, flaxseed?

Options
What's the difference? Flavor, texture, cost, etc? Are they interchangeable?

I'm trying to use different things so just wondering :smile:

Replies

• jehembee
    jehembee Posts: 114
    Options
    I'm not sure if they are interchangeable, but i know that each one has specific health benefits.
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    ok, anyone else?
  • MandyAnnV
    MandyAnnV Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I don't believe they are interchangeable. Rolled oats are more processed than steel cut.
    I use flaxseed, and even add it to my oatmeal sometimes, or to my yogurt, and sometimes even a protein drink. Flaxseed is a good way to get some extra fiber in your diet.
  • jldunn713
    jldunn713 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    All great ingredients that I use a lot of! Not really interchangeable. Flaxseed (use it ground) has good fats and protein, notably omega-3's. It thickens in liquid and replace eggs in baking things. I also like to throw it in smoothies and on top of oatmeal. Wheat germ I will put on top of oatmeal as well. It doesn't thicken like flaxseed does but it also is a nutritional powerhouse. It is good on top of yogurt and adds nuttiness to dishes. While I use flaxseed and wheat germ by the spoonful, I use rolled oats in larger volumes. Oats are whole grains, mostly carbohydrate. Hot oatmeal or cold soaked oats mixed with nuts and fruits in a cereal bowl. Flaxseed and wheat germ complement oats very well. Oats can be made into flour or granola. Hope that helps!