Cardio and Kids

Options
What are your thoughts??

I try to involve my kids in my fitness routine whenever possible. Mostly out of necessity because I'm a single mom - but also as a means of setting a good example. This is usually a little more indirect though. Not like - blatant cardio. For example - nightly bike rides. Playing Wii dance games. Working in the garden. Just other physical activities whenever possible instead of watching TV or being sedentary.

Recently though - my kids have taken more of an active interest in my more direct forms of cardio. IE - my running, my treadmill and my recumbant bike. Sometimes even my yoga DVDs. My exercise ball, etc. I think a lot of it seems like fun and games - and I think that's totally OK. I want to keep the whole thing positive. So I've been letting my 7 yr old "exercise" with me when I do these things. When I am on the bike - I'll let her walk on the treadmill. When I am on the treadmill - I'll fix the position on the bike and let her use it.

What are your general thoughts on this? The only reason I ask....I hadn't thought twice about it. But last night she was on the phone with her Dad and she was excitedly telling him about her workout on my treadmill. I cringed a little thinking that this might piss him off and I would get questioned on trying to get my 7 year old to do cardio. I realize mostly this is a convo I need to have with him to explain the circumstances - but still. The fact that my initial gut reaction what that he would think it was "wrong".......

Replies

• jkvoight1
    jkvoight1 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi Amy. I personally think it is wonderful you are teaching your children the importance of being healthy. As long as they know it isn't so much about appearance but rather than feeling good and being healthy I think it is great! They also have workout DVD's for kids that are dancing but giving them a workout. Pretty neat stuff!
  • AnisaMG
    AnisaMG Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My eight year old loves working out with me. I think she sees it as time that we get to spend together, and it is teaching her that health and fitness are something that you constantly need to work at. She obviously goes at her own pace.. she uses 1lb weights when I am on a strength day, and she bikes while I run. I think it's great that you have your kids involved with you!! Keep up the great work!
  • carolhug1234
    Options
    i think its great what you doing with your kids! its not wrong its not illegal to be a healthy inspiration to your children, as long as they ( WANT) to join in and have that special bond with you! to hell with anyone who disagrees!! :smile: :smile:
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I let my 3 yr old walk on the treadmill. I am holding his hand, set at 1.0- very slow. But he loves it. He looks forward to his turn and behaves for me while waiting for his turn.

Great topic. Will give me and many others some ideas. :smile:
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    everyday i go to the track i make my kids do 2 miles before they get to play. sometimes they will get away with less (when they say but MOM playing IS exercise! lol) i think its good for them and its keeping them healthy. my kids also do yoga and kettlebells all sorts of "real exercise" - they like it!
  • JConstine
    JConstine Posts: 69
    Options
    If she is having fun then it's ok. It's not like you are forcing on the treadmill.

Besides, kids are little balls of energy. A 7 year old is not going to exert herself walking on a treadmill. If she goes to school, she's probably running, jumping, climbing, and doing all sorts of things all the time. Little kids like to move.
  • camelgirlmn
    camelgirlmn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am a single mom with a 5 year old!!! He loves doing my workouts with me!!! Its a great way to teach them about how healthy and important exciseing is. Not just to people who want to lose weight but people who want to stay active. You are not doing nothing wrong, kids get a kick out of the simple things in life!!! Let it roll!!!
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    You know, some of my best memories are of going for bike rides with my mom while growing up. And as a teen I lived on my bike!

I took many years off, but now I love to bike. My kids are too little to come with, and I kind of use it as my "alone" time, but I still love it!
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    My 9 yo just sent me a text telling me that he rode 5 miles on the stationary bike for 19 minutes and burned 158 calories and his legs "feel firm and fantastic!" I'm rubbing off on him. WIN!

:flowerforyou:
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with it. To me it is no different than if you had your child in a sport and there was practice involved.

My daughters school pushed physical activity a vast amount and they did contests where for each mile they walk they get to fill in blocks and when you filled up enough blocks you got special prizes. It wasn't required but they allowed the kids to walk during recess if they wanted - My girls would get home and ask to do extra laps...

The only thing I would be concerned about is getting enough nutrition and hydration or if she had an unhealthy obsession with it (i.e. body image things)
  • winninga
    winninga Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    We have a fabulous new Y in town, and child care while we work out is included in our membership. I used to send my 9-year-old daughter there until about a week ago. I'd do my workout, and then we'd both go swimming afterwards. I noticed that most of the kids there were a lot younger than her, and she was bored. I figured that she'd benefit more coming upstairs with me and walking on the track or riding the exercise bike. I go there at least 3x/week, and I usually walk just over 3 miles. Other days I might do the stationary bike or Arc trainer. On the first day, to my surprise, she walked nearly the whole distance with me, and said that she would much rather come with me, than go to the Kid Zone. I've told her the benefits of being healthy, and that the best way to avoid a lot of health problems, etc. is prevention. She also loves sports, especially volleyball and swimming. When they have clinics, I will sign her up for those as well. I was never given those types of opportunities when I was a kid, and I feel so fortunate to be able to give them to mine.
  • nickollette113
    nickollette113 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    As long as it's taking a passive approach, then that's awesome! Now, telling your 8(right?) year old that they HAVE to exercise would probably be a problem at that age. But, as a single mom, the spotlight is usually on just you, so demonstrating a healthy lifestyle yourself is so important. Heck, my nearly 2 year old even joins in with me sometimes, by jumping around or stomping because that's what it looks like I'm doing in his eyes. Most of the time he just giggles hysterically because I'm sure I look crazy doing all this stuff lol.
  • MissAmyB80
    MissAmyB80 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Thanks - lots of positive feedback. I appreciate it.

I definetely agree - it's not centered around body image in our house. Especially not hers. Actually - I catch myself sometimes criticizing my own body shape and she always corrects me. When I say I have a fat stomach she's always quick to tell me no, etc. She has NO CONCEPT of what a fat stomach really is - and I think it's probably good that she's oblivious to it. She's very height/weight proportionate - so we don't focus a lot on losing/gaining weight where she is concerned. We pretty much strictly talk about being active and healthy and happy!!

That being said.....when I am running on the treadmill she is often confused. She sees me up there and I can tell in her mind she has no idea why I look like I'm about to die. I think she contemplates calling 911 sometimes!!! :) I do NOT look pretty when I run!! :):)
  • buckeyegirl0103
    buckeyegirl0103 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thanks - lots of positive feedback. I appreciate it.
    That being said.....when I am running on the treadmill she is often confused. She sees me up there and I can tell in her mind she has no idea why I look like I'm about to die. I think she contemplates calling 911 sometimes!!! :) I do NOT look pretty when I run!! :):)

LOL!!! ^^this^^

The only thing you need to tell him is that she enjoys doing this with you- its not forced- her idea.....you are setting a great example by making it a priority!!
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Don't kids do calisthenics in school anymore? When I was a kid we ran laps, did jumping jacks, push-ups, pull-ups, etc. There's nothing inherently bad about kids doing exercises just for the sake of exercising. I would only question it if the kids would *prefer* to get their exercise a different way, as there's also nothing inherently better about it as compared to running around playing, doing sports, etc.

When I started exercising, and my kids asked me why, I told them it was because I'm lazy and don't run around playing like they do. When they asked if they could exercise with me, I said yes, with the one exception that they don't stand close to me while I'm working with the kettlebell. I don't see that it's any big deal at all.
  • cdl8
    cdl8 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I think it is fabulous!! I'm trying to get my 9 yr old involved with my fitness routines with me although it's been difficult. I want her to understand that this is healthy for her body since we love spending time together, it's a win win situation. My 3 yr old joins in all the time. LOL
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    We involve our kids in all of our exercises out of principle. It was cute yesterday, my wife and I were doing core work on the floor in the living room and all 4 of the kids were down on the floor doing it with us. Even our 18 month old was trying to do "pushups". Sure, the younger ones had no idea what they were doing, but they thought it was cool and they had fun. As far as our older ones, we take them running, biking, etc with us.

I've been fat all of my life. I could have really used a mother who taught me early on a active and healthy lifestyle. We sure as hell are not going to do the same thing to our kids. The earlier we teach them, the easier it is on them through life.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with it at all. I take my 10-year old daughter on most of my bike rides and she'll hop on our elliptical or treadmill a couple of days a week on her own. I don't let her run on the treadmill more than about 20 minutes because I'm not sure if it's good for her joints at that age. She's also heavily involved in martial arts, and the cardio they put in as part of the warm-up before class in very intense. She also plays soccer, and that's at least a couple of miles of running every practice and game. I think it's great.

I don't let my 5-year old daughter on the treadmill or elliptical, but she likes to get involved and try to emulate other stuff she sees us doing…push ups, planks, jumping jacks, lunges, etc. I think it's great for them to grow up seeing active parents and being active themselves. I'm trying to be the role model I never had and wish I did when it comes to fitness. Hopefully, it carries over into a lifetime of fitness.
  • karen_mcp
    karen_mcp Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Like some others have said, I think it is great. I have a five yo, and my husband works away mostly so I am the same and try to do exercise when she is around, but try to make it fun and talk about being healthy but NEVER about losing weight. In fact my 5 yo and me are doing the race for life this weekend, and we have been training for weeks for it. She loves it! It is mummy and daughter time.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I think it is awesome. It would be different if you were forcing her to do. I say the more exercise kids get the better!