Sick after a work out??

Options
Help! I am currently doing Jillian Michael’s 30 day shred and the last three days I am so nauseous by the time I am thru my workout. I do not eat prior I wake up about 430 then try to work out by 530 (after seeing hubby off to work). I know I am working my body harder than it’s ever worked and I continue to press forward but is this normal? I cannot even think about eating for about two hours after because my stomach is so upset. I do drink plenty of water. Does anyone have suggestions?

Replies

• DEGiltz
    DEGiltz Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Most folks don't like to workout on a full stomach, but you probably should be eating something before you workout even if it's something light. Overnight your body has used up all the energy from you dinner the night before. The body needs fuel!

I would eat a piece of fruit, like a banana or some apple slices, and a little bit of peanut butter, yogurt, or cottage cheese; ideally you want a carb and a protein combination. Also, drink some water ... not a lot though. You don't want to feel like it's all "sloshing" around in your tummy while you jumping up and down.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    eat something. that's your body screaming 'feed me'
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Try eating late at night, just before bed. This has helped me when I work out first thing in the morning. Yes it goes against the myth of not eating after a certain time but if you are working out and are within you daily cal goal it shouldn't matter. Or try to eat something small, like fruit, when you first get up.
  • aaronf289
    aaronf289 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different.....I hate eating before I work out. When I was doing MMA conditioning, it was such a hard workout, I felt like I was going to pass out or throw up almost every day. That type of physical stress can cause that. You may just be pushing yourself (which is great) and it may not happen as much as you continue to progress......
  • KristaGettingFit
    Options
    I have tried both before working out and not eating at all. I find it is different all the time. There are days I feel a little light-headed and I know I should have eaten a little something, but then there are days when I eat that little something but feel sick. So my suggestion is to play around with it and see which works best for you.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    I drink a protein shake wiht an energy booster before my morning workouts. This stops me from getting nausious and gives me the energy to get through it all. You might want to at least try a when protein shake, it wont sit heavy.
  • glonigan
    glonigan Posts: 82
    Options
    Have some honey on hand for when you start feeling sick. I believe it is the natural sugar that your body wants (glucose) can help with your stomach issues.
  • 1LRoy
    1LRoy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I actually eat a full breakfast before I workout every morning. If I don't, by the time I'm done working out I feel sick and utterly spent That's assuming I even make it all the way through my workout...

Don't worry about when you eat because it truly is calories in vs. calories out. Start with something small like other people suggested and see how you feel. Listen to your body. It will tell you what works best for you.
  • secretamore
    Options
    When I do Jillian in the mornings I usually give my body some fuel as soon as I wake up by eating a small spoonful of all natural peanut butter with a couple crackers. Then by the time I let my dog out and change into my workout clothes, it's digested enough that I don't feel it in my stomach while doing the workout.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    It's either low blood sugar or dehydration. Eat carbs 30 mins before you workout. A big old banana should do nicely.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned- if you feel pysically ill after exerting yourself, and you are doing the work out on an empty stomach- it usually means that your body has used all its energy and needs more.

Make sure that you are hydrated, and try eating something light and small before working out- a banana with peanut butter would be great because the potassium in bananas will help keep you from cramping, and the peanut butter is a good fat source.

But as always try and see what works best for you.
  • mondesa
    mondesa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks eveyone for your comments. I am going to have to try eating something of drinking my protiens shakes before my workout. I will play with it for a bit and see what helps.

HOPE EVERYONE HAS A SAFE AND HAPPY 4TH
  • brittmar25
    brittmar25 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have a hard enough time walking after I wake up-- I couldn't imagine jumping right into a workout without anything in my system. I agree with GlitzyGal, eat something light
  • 1LRoy
    1LRoy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Just saw an article on MSNBC that said the following:

Eat within one hour of rising. Your mom was also right when she told you breakfast was the most important meal of the day. When you skip breakfast, you lose its stimulating benefits on your metabolic rate. You also become more likely to eat unbalanced meals, more calories, and larger amounts of saturated fat throughout the day. Plenty of research shows that those of us who skip breakfast are actually heavier. Missing out on a healthy morning meal also increases stress hormones

The article is about when we eat and how that affects weight loss. Here's the link for the article.

http://todayhealth.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/03/12485094-weight-loss-depends-on-when-we-eat-not-just-what?lite
  • Giniac
    Giniac Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It's because you're fitness levels are low at the minute. Keep with the exercise you're doing and as your level of fitness increases, the feelings will subside.
  • kimberly130
    kimberly130 Posts: 166
    Options
    Definitely eat something. eat at like 5, even if its just a piece of fruit, or a protein shake at least 1/2 hr or 20min before the workout. You dont need to eat a full meal but something to keep your muscles fueled. It will get better, also make sure your eating enough throughout the day too. If your depriving yourself of food all day you will effect your workout as well.
  • bigbrownbear123
    Options
    In my opinion, if you are regularly nauseous during your workouts you are pushing your body too hard. Try progressing a little more slowly.

As for the food, try having a meal rich in low GI carbs about 1-2 hours before your workout. Since you're talking about a morning workout, how about a big bowl of all bran cereal with some milk?
    This will give you the fuel you need for your workout. Leaving 1-2 hours between should also mean you don't feel sluggish during your workout and should also give the food enough time to go down so you don't just end up bringing it up again.
  • mondesa
    mondesa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    THanks again everyone. Yesterday i was off owrk so i ate about an hour before i worked out and made it thru level 1 and 2 of JM 30 day shred. I felt fine. Today i drank a protien drink and didnt feel as bad i guess thats my anwser.