anyone here know much about body pump?

Options
I joined the Y a few weeks ago and have been currently doing the class..
I am not wanting to build a bunch of muscles but simply get strong and toned...
Is it bad if I continue to go 4 times per week... becuase of the summer schedule I am getting a rest day after 3 classes. Now I am not lifting much at all... between 1 to 7 lbs. I have only a few times been fatigued enough to have to drop my weights on the bar or had to take a longer rest period. with this class there are lots of reps between sets.. I'm told about 800!
I am in loosing weight mode with 16 to go... also getting cardio in, approx 2-3 times...
Any help or suggestions.
i do not want to hurt myself and I understand I need time for muscles to heal between classes... but is it different if I am not lifting heavy?
Help??

Replies

• TheNewo
    TheNewo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I love body pump!!! Unless you have any injuries you should be fine --go check it out!

But you shouldn't worry yourself over "building a bunch of muscles" :flowerforyou:
  • mikegohl
    mikegohl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I did body pump for about 6 months. Very good workout. High reps and low weight. Burns like crazy.
  • Jen0414
    Jen0414 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Body pump is AWESOME!! I was told by the instructor to always have a rest day between it since there are so many reps.
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    the way you put on muscle is by lifting heavy, so that you can build up new muscle. continuously lifting the same weight wont cause you to bulk. i do love body pump! usually burn about 400 calories and am sore after!
  • wendangi
    wendangi Posts: 7
    Options
    GREAT WORKOUT!!! Dont worry about bulking up, the reps you do are way to high to bulk you. look around at others in the class, if you want to look like them you can make your goal to match their weights. Its a great fat burning exercise. I'd only do it 2 or 3 times a week though, more that that is a bit much. Do more cardio on those other days :)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I only do it once a week because of my other commitments to lifting heavy at the gym 4x a week.

However, I wouldn't see it as a problem, mainly because it's only lighter weights. To me it's more cardio / endurance lifting rather than specific strength training. Plus it gives a great calorie burn :)

If you are finding yourself very fatigued though, to the point where you are just aching non stop, I would advise either a week off altogether, or to cut back to 2-3 times a week.
  • Flamenquero
    Flamenquero Posts: 132
    Options
    My wife does it and really likes it.
  • xeyemon
    xeyemon Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/pauline5.htm This will help. Body Pump will tone and it will appear that you have built muscle but your just removing the fat most likely. Remember being buff is also healthier because it take more calories to move muscle than the equivalent in fat.
  • MinkyMoo13
    MinkyMoo13 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I did body pump for the first time on Saturday and LOVED it!! I am looking to go 2-3 times a week depeningon my shift rota would be Mon, Thur, Sat although most weeks i'll onl be able to go thurs, sat!
  • dup32
    dup32 Posts: 68
    Options
    Thank you everyone for sharing your info with me. From what I gathered i will be ok keeping my same schedule as long as I am not hurting. If I want to build more muscle I need to lift heavier and rest in between.
    So far I am loving the class, I am actaully surprised by my ability to even lift! I have a noticed definition in mu shoulders and slightly in my upper arms, It is addicting to see the changes
    It's sure been a long road loosing this weight but I can see the end and am ready to move onto maintenance.
    If you have anymore to share about body pump I will gladly read...
    Thanks Again
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    right now im doing les mills PUMP from beachbody and I love it! I do it 3X week and do HIIT cardio on days in between. I just finished 60 days into it and I love the results. I cant wait to see final results after 90 days! My body is shrinking. good luck!