New Clothes

Options
When do you buy new clothes? I started at a size 16 and am down to a size 14. My goal size is a size 8. I'm finding though, that I only have one or two size 14 pants. I end up wearing my size 16 pants quite a bit, although they are too big on me. The end result is clothes that look frumpy on me. My shirts hang on me and my pants are constantly working their way down so my butt sags. Although my body is smaller, I end up looking BIGGER because of ill fitting clothing. The idea of buying new size 14 pants, new size 12 pants, new size 10 pants, and then new size 8 pants makes me want to cry because that's a lot of wasted clothing (hey, if I'm hopefully only going to wear it for a month or two, it's not worth it if you ask me). Thankfully it's summer time; I should just rummage sale it up and buy all the different sizes now so when I get there I at least have "starter" clothes or at least enough clothes to get me through to the next size.

Replies

• meechi53
    meechi53 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Try Ebay, you can get some nice pieces, or I've found that dresses transition better as you can belt them, etc when they get bigger. If you get pants on Ebay just sell them back out when they get to big :-)
  • amyniceneasy
    amyniceneasy Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Have you asked friends for hand me downs? How about going to some thrift stores?
  • christyd4
    christyd4 Posts: 191
    Options
    I go to the Goodwill and buy some "in between" pants. There are a couple in my city that I know that the "upscale" women donate their clothes to.
  • MrsB724
    MrsB724 Posts: 247
    Options
    You could also try thrift stores like a Goodwill or something. I donate my old clothes and pick up a few gently used pieces on the cheap.
  • cjaharmon
    cjaharmon Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Craigslist and consignment stores for me! I can get name brand clothes at consignment stores for a fourth of what they will cost in a store! And goodwill if I wash them well! I try to wait till I am completely out of one size and almost into the size two below...ie out of a 16 and into a tighter 12 then I don't have to buy each size. Lots of belts and I buy more shirts then pants I can make the pants stretch!
  • mrsvatitagain
    mrsvatitagain Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I had to finally break down and buy a few pair of pants so that I could be comfortable, you could buy black and navy or black and gray standard colors at least 2 pair in a smaller size with teh idea that the smallwer pair will need to last through the size 12 phase etc etc...or keep wearing a belt to hold up the 16. I too refused to go shopping crazy, makes no sense, but I did finianlly like I said had to break down and get a few pair of decent slacks for work. I rotate these same pair often...LOLOL
  • iiiEllie
    iiiEllie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Theres a shop and swap group on facebook for my city, they come in super handy. Thankfully now that I fit into all the stores I can get pants on sale for 5-10$ so I get new pants every size down.
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I agree -- eBay has been a really inexpensive way to relace bigger clothes with smaller sizes. Almost everything is described with measurements. Dresses are a great transitition for the rest of the summer. I admit even the 14s I bought this spring are taking quite a cinching of the belts now. (I've gone from 16 >12) Flowy blouses to cover the top part of the pants seems to work well. If you haven't given eBay a try -- I highly recommend it. America's yard sale comes to your door. And, you can definitely SELL on there, too.
  • jemachharo
    jemachharo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like used clothes. I go to Target, Walmart or Penny's for inexpensive in-between clothes and look for sales at department stores. I feel so much better in proper fitting clothes that it is worth spending a little money.
  • WonderCort
    WonderCort Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My sisters and a couple of friends were happy to give me a pair or two of jeans and a few shirts each plus I hit up the Goodwill, Salvation Army Thrift, and other consignments shops in this area so it's been fine. One shop let me trade in my too big clothing for some that fit, a consignment shop in town so I always go there first. I had to give them two items for every one they gave me but it helped anyway. I didn't need all that extra ill fitting clothing lying around anyways. When I started my weight loss journey I was a size 24, now my 14's are getting big and I will be shopping for twelves before summer ends. I can completely sympathize with needing to acquire new clothing. I get new clothing every size down I go.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat, I am falling out of my size 16 wear. Lucky for me this is my second time in two years I have lost the weight (pay attention during maintenance). I am going to break into my size 14 bag from 2 years ago. After that it is winter, and I plan on just wearing things too big through the winter and having my own "Reveal" shopping trip in the summer.

Congrats on your sucess. If you want some transition cloths, I suggest yoga pants and shirts that strech and shrink in the wash. It feels like pregnancy, you don't want to waste too much money on cloths you don't intend on staying in for long.

Maybe try a thrift store, or a cloths swap party.
  • Lizajane42
    Lizajane42 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have been fortunate that I have a friend who gives me old clothes from time to time- so if you know anyone who has lost weight or typically has garage sales every year, you may ask them if they would be willing to let you take a look at some things.

I am probably all set for about 30 more lbs before things stop fitting!

Also, I have a couple of goal weights that I have in mind for buying some new clothes as a kind of reward- so you may think about it that way or in goal sizes- so maybe you can make it to 12's before you buy yourself a few new things!
  • TracySchroeder
    Options
    I go to Goodwill. The ones in my area purchase new goods as well as getting donations. I can buy new clothes from Target and other stores for a fraction of the price!!! LOVE it!!
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I go to Goodwill, too. I loooove Goodwill.
  • lilspringchicken
    lilspringchicken Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Since it will be fall soon, you could find some leggings and stretchy dresses. They will work at a variety of sizes.