Napping- Does it slow your metabolism?

Options
So I'm confused on this....I have read in a diet book and have noticed that if I am tired, I crave carbs and sugars. The carbs and sugars give us the "sugar high" or burst of energy our body needs, then when that crashes, we're tired again. So the advice of this book was that if we are tired, and have the time, take a little nap instead of giving in to those cravings. But I've also heard that napping can slow your metabolism. If's the middle of the day, when you're heart rate and metabolism are working for you, but then if you nap, you essentially shut all that down for a bit, then your body has to "re-start" when you wake up. Any thoughts on this??

Replies

• mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    It sounds silly to me. Our metabolism really isn't this campfire we need to tend to 24/7. Napping might decrease overall burn for the week by decreasing overall activity. Is that 'slowed metabolism'? Will you move more later due to being more rested? I don't think it matters much. It's time spent not eating, which is probably as important as anything.

I'm all for a nap, if you want it and can swing it!
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think it would by much.

Your metabolism doesn't just stop when you sleep, whether it be a nap or at night time. Your metabolism works all day. The only factor that will lower the calorie burn is that you aren't moving but you will still be burning something.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    the sleeping metabolic rate is one of the lowest, if that helps. More hours sleep per day would likely mean less calories expended.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    It will probably reduce your caloric burn by a small amount, but not nearly as much as the number of carbohydrate calories you're going to need to feel more energetic for any length of time.

Personally, when I'm tired, I get up and go for a good energetic walk. That helps re-energize me and makes me feel better. And when I need a snack, I try to avoid just pure sugars and carbohydrates for the quick pick-up, but instead have a balanced snack that's got some proteins and complex carbs going on so it keeps me satisfied longer.

Feeding fatigue is generally going to be bad practice since you're not as likely to make good food choices. Focus on getting your daily fats and proteins up to the levels they should be, if they aren't already. Those are the sustaining fuel.

If you're eating plenty of fats and proteins and still finding that you have peaks and valleys of fatigue, it may not be a terrible idea to set up a physical with your doctor and mention blood sugar testing.
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I hope not or I'm screwed.
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You burn fewer calories sleeping than watching TV or reading. The difference is negligible, however.
  • Kenhabes
    Kenhabes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    So I'm confused on this....I have read in a diet book and have noticed that if I am tired, I crave carbs and sugars. The carbs and sugars give us the "sugar high" or burst of energy our body needs, then when that crashes, we're tired again. So the advice of this book was that if we are tired, and have the time, take a little nap instead of giving in to those cravings. But I've also heard that napping can slow your metabolism. If's the middle of the day, when you're heart rate and metabolism are working for you, but then if you nap, you essentially shut all that down for a bit, then your body has to "re-start" when you wake up. Any thoughts on this??

Do you get tired a lot during the day? Headaches?

Craving carbs and sugar happens a lot when you have untreated sleep apnea. You don't need to be a middle-aged white man with a thick neck to have it (myth). If you have excessive daytime sleepiness, you might want to ask your GP to get a sleep study. I have it. I know.

If you have it, get treated NOW! You'll thank yourself.

Just my $0.02.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Just plain silliness!!!!
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I take a nap every weekend! For me, a good 1 hour nap is better than eating any of my favorite foods (cake). Sure, it may slow my metabolism down a bit, but I can guarantee that the one hour nap is going to be better for me than a slice of cake!

I agree, though, that if you're tired during a normal day, get up and MOVE! Doesn't matter what you do, just get up and do something!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Yes, and you must eat within 263 secs of waking from your nap to jumpstart your metabolism or you risk going into starvation mode
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options

Do you get tired a lot during the day? Headaches?

Craving carbs and sugar happens a lot when you have untreated sleep apnea. You don't need to be a middle-aged white man with a thick neck to have it (myth). If you have excessive daytime sleepiness, you might want to ask your GP to get a sleep study. I have it. I know.

If you have it, get treated NOW! You'll thank yourself.

Just my $0.02.

I don't have a thick neck!! :laugh:
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    When you are sleeping you produce HGH (human growth hormone) so your body can better repair itself.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    In the big picture it doesn't matter unless you are spending most of your day sleeping. Naps can also boost your energy afterwards so really it balances out.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Yes, and you must eat within 263 secs of waking from your nap to jumpstart your metabolism or you risk going into starvation mode

LOL
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

Or death!
  • misslouisiana
    misslouisiana Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I hope not. I love my naps:yawn:
  • TXGirl821
    TXGirl821 Posts: 115
    Options
    If it does, this explains my boyfriend's huge weight gain over the past few years. LOL Man, does he love to nap whenever he can. We thought it was because of his sleep apnea, which as we all know can contribute to needing naps and gaining weight, but he has his breathing machine now and he's still napping because he's lazy, which then means he's putting on weight.

If there WAS a study done showing that napping would contribute to weight gain, I would LOVE to see it! But since I don't think there is one, I would say you're probably safe unless you're napping a whole lot.
  • natesangel
    natesangel Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i've been curious too, however i do take a nap in the day if i feel the need. i have an active 2 yr old, am a sahm, and do have sleep issues (micro awakenings every 16 secs according to the overnight i did) i try watch the carbs, stay active when awake and take the nap if needed. although i think for the average healthy adult, who gets at min 7 hours at night, then maybe a good walk or something to get the blood pumping again is a better option (there are days where this is the better for me as well!)
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    If it does, this explains my boyfriend's huge weight gain over the past few years. LOL Man, does he love to nap whenever he can. We thought it was because of his sleep apnea, which as we all know can contribute to needing naps and gaining weight, but he has his breathing machine now and he's still napping because he's lazy, which then means he's putting on weight.

If there WAS a study done showing that napping would contribute to weight gain, I would LOVE to see it! But since I don't think there is one, I would say you're probably safe unless you're napping a whole lot.

All other things being equal, napping as a replacement for exercise and activity is horrible for fitness and weight loss.

OP's question involved napping as a replacement to eating quick carbs to boost energy. And while a balanced diet and more activity is a better way to stave off energy drops, napping is more effective at weight loss than eating.

It is also possible that the machine is giving him better air but has not really improved the quality of his sleep. Has he had a sleep study done with the machine?