Regular yogurt or Greek yogurt?

Options
1235»

Replies

• JenRLo
    JenRLo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Every single morning I have a 1/2 cup of plain no fat Greek with a 1/2 cup of strawberries or blueberries and 1 packet Splenda. I've been doing that for months and am still not bored with it. I LOVE GREEK YOGURT! You can eat less and get more protein than regular yogurt. Adding the packet of Splenda (or other sweetener) helps. Also, I mix it the night before so the fruit flavors are absorbed by the yogurt.

I never thought of using it as a savory. I'll definately try that!
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I like both but I do not buy the fat free versions of either kind. Greek yogurt has twice as much protein but I only eat half as much!
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, for sure. I didn't like it at first, but I've come to prefer to regular yogurt. I struggle to get enough protein in my diet, and Greek yogurt fills in the gaps. I tried to make a curry with plain Greek yogurt the other day, and that didn't work out too well, so maybe there's still some room for regular yogurt in my cooking.
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    I love both...but Greek yogurt is, as my six yr old nephew would say...the bomb dippity!!! By far my fav!!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Made the switch to Chobani about 2 months ago. I"m a sweet tooth gal so I get the nonfat fruit versions. They're higher in calories than regular yougurts like Light & Fit, but I made adjustments to the diet to accomodate the difference. I, personally, like the consistency and tartness of the Greek yogurt!

Team Greek!
  • emmymae22
    emmymae22 Posts: 206
    Options
    Greek for me, hands down. Loooove Fage 0%.
  • sashanicole88
    sashanicole88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I like both! but I think I prefer Greek :tongue:
  • meechi53
    meechi53 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I wondered that myself, the Greek nonfat yogurt is 2x the calories than the regular nonfat yogurt. I know it has 2x the protein too but does one cancel out the other? I tried my first strawberry greek yogurt today and I liked it. I bet it would be good frozen. But..worried about the calories.
  • kmjenkins
    kmjenkins Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    At first I hated Greek yogurt, then I tried it with 1/2 yogurt, 1/2 unsweetened applesauce and thought it was good, then I experimented with adding some naked granola and fruit and liked it...then I dropped out the granola...and now I can even eat it plain and really like it. It took me awhile to adjust to the taste, but I like it and the nutrition contend is aligned with my fitness goals so it's a win win. I like the Fage 0% (plain) or the Dannon Oikos (Plain) best for value and taste but Brown Cow plain is my real favorite, but the per unit pricing compared to the other two is too much as I got through a lot each week.

If you don't like it now but are open to liking it I say really doctor it up at first, maybe with some honey, granola, cinnamon, and fruit then gradually take things out to grow accustomed to it and acquire the taste. But if you just can't stomach it, stick to regular yogurt.
  • rubygarcia86
    rubygarcia86 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    i eat both. more often the regular yogurt. I have the FAGE greek 0% with honey and it does the job, the taste by itself is a bit too tangy for me. i need to try cooking with it and see if i can taste the difference
  • lmeasterling
    lmeasterling Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I eat the Dannon Light & Fit; it has half the calories of most regular & greek yogurts.
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I can't really say anything about Greek yogurt....never really tried it or investigated. But I eat yogurt for the probiotics--acidophilus and bifida in particular; and what I have learned is 1. You don't need to buy the upscale brands or those that advertise themselves on the basis of probiotic effects such as Activia. Those cost more and do not have both types of probiotics that I need for my stomach. Basic brands such as Western Family, Lucerne and Tillamook are cheaper AND pack in more probiotics than those that advertise as such or a bottle of pills which is good for my budget!! 2. Before eating probiotics, eat PRE-biotics such as Whole grains, onions, bananas, garlic, honey, leeks, artichokes or sunchokes to give the probiotics what they need to feed on and populate in your stomach for maximum effect. So for instance, I will often have a fiber bar or Fiber One cereal or a banana and yogurt or Darigold cottage cheese (also good for probiotics) for breakfast. It's solved my med related stomach problems so I'm sticking with it! :o)
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I stick to regular yogurt... They both fill me up the same, so I can't justify the extra calories. My yogurt is only 35 cals.
  • laprobertson
    Options
    I much prefer Greek yogurt because it is higher in protein and lower in sugar and much more filling. I like to mix the plain with a tsp of Polaner's All Fruit. Sometimes I will also sprinkle in some high fiber cereal. YUM!
  • TransformerOfYoungMinds
    Options
    Greek!

Fage 0% + Stevia + Torani sugar-free syrup (either Salted Caramel or a combo of Chocolate + Coconut) = heaven

I even freeze it sometimes to make an "ice cream".

I couldn't eat Greek yogurt before making it this way.... now I love it! I could never go back to regular yogurt :)
  • kathleenp518
    kathleenp518 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I love Dannon Oikos raspberry yogurt. I used to eat Chobani but the Oikos is sweeter and tastes so good.
  • Deltabigboy
    Options
    Can't stand regular anymore after trying Greek. Some of the Greek yogurts are not true strained Greek yogurt though. Some add pectin or cornstarch to thicken. I've tried the Dannon Oikos, Chobani and Fage. I love the Fage. It's true strained Greek yogurt. I'm usually low on my fat most days so I stick with the plain 2% add fruit, a little Golean Crunch and drizzle with honey!
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Lol I like each. For different reasons. I have started buying the plain fat free Dannon yogurt, and I add some of my Cinch (my protein shake) It helps sweeten the yogurt plus the additional protein. Then I also add some fruit. Its really good.

Like many others I also use greek yogurt in place of sour cream and even mayo. Its a great replacement for those things. But I don't like it as much as regular yogurt.