How important is it to take a day off?

Options
Not from eating healthy - but from working out. I've tried to take days off and being new to this I just can't. I exercise for 45 to 60 minutes daily on the elliptical. I tried to take Sunday off - but I just couldn't do it. I've read different stories of some working out every day - and others insist at least one day of rest is important. So - what do you do? What's worked best for you?

Replies

• amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Rest is important for muscle recovery, however, if youre doing cardio this shouldnt be too much of an issue, just make sure youre eating right and enough, and enjoy your exercise :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Rest is just as important as exercise.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Well for strength training sure, you need a rest day but for regular cardio I don't think 'rest' is important...the human body is meant to move daily. The bare minimum I would even consider doing is to power walk for 60 minutes that day. My fat sure isn't taking any days off!! LOL
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I get plenty of rest from weights. The rest depends on the type of work out. I've I'm lifting light with many reps, I give my self 1-2 days rest. If heavy with lower reps I give myself 3-4 days rest.

I do some type of cardio everyday by I vary the intensity type of activity. On my rest days I go for a low intensity walk, but I always do something.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    You will know when you need to take a rest from cardio. Heavy legs. Slower speeds. General malaise.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    personally, I find that sometimes I have better losses after I take a day off. The first 2 or 3 weeks I worked out, I was in the gym 5 days a week....then I started having issues with really bad calf cramps during my treadmill time. I switched to every other day for like 2 months and the calf cramps went away. Occasionally I do exercise 3 days straight, but I make the middle day my "slow day" with no incline and not pushing myself...
  • Ashly744
    Ashly744 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I take at least 1 - 2 days off. I don't like it, but I know if I don't I'll over do it and end up with an injury. I've been stretching before and after exercising and that's been helping too.