Going on a trip. What to pack for food?

Options
I am going on a family trip for a few days and would love to hear what types of things you pack for food.
I'm pretty set for going there because the food will be fresh, but once I am there I will not have access to grocery stores.
I'm thinking snacks for the hotel room and easy to carry stuff for the amusement park.
Hit me with some ideas :)

Replies

• frillypantz
    frillypantz Posts: 134
    Options
    Cereal bars, UHT bottled shakes (eg: slimfast), dried fruit and nuts in small containers.... can't think of anything else off the top of my head lol
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    What park are you going to? This can make a differnce as some parks wont let you in with anything bigger than a snack bag.
  • wingednotes
    wingednotes Posts: 279
    Options
    bigdave - hershey park.
    nothing like a park of chocolate to make good food choices really easy!

good point, though - I hope they let me bring food in.
  • loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    carrot chips/hummus, string cheese
  • kaylarachellee
    kaylarachellee Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Protein powder.. You can put some in a ziplock and dump it in a water bottle when ready. :) Or a paleo pack... jerky nuts dried fruit.
  • Octopies
    Octopies Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    There are these 100 calorie "snack packs" with apples and caramel that are awesome as snacks. I'm sure they do the same thing with vegetables and ranch.
  • rebeccasedwards
    Options
    I take 100 calorie snack packs and cereal bars.
  • LennieSmall
    Options
    If you have access to a microwave in your hotel room, I'd recommend Hormel Compleats meals. They're high in sodium, but in my opinion they taste pretty good and they don't need to be refrigerated. I also like dry oatmeal, so getting a variety pack would be a decent way to get some variety.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Fruits that don't need constant refrigeration such as apples. Also: nuts, maybe some low-cal or reduced-fat crackers with small amounts of peanut butter, rice cakes (there are some really good flavors that are still super low-cal), turkey jerky, light or reduced-fat string cheese.

Edit to add: since you're going to a park based around chocolate and you might find yourself wanting chocolate, I'd highly recommend Skinny Cow chocolate packs or chocolate bars. I think they're 100-120 cals and sooooo good!
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Luna bars (yummy nutrition bars), Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal, dry roasted edamame, almonds, dried fruit, snack packs of fresh fruit in 100% juice, high fiber whole grain bread, almond butter, Polaner All Fruit w/fiber, cans of low sodium V-8, bottles of water, boxes of milk...
  • prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Here's my standard list of snacks when we go to a local park / Sea World / Six Flags, etc.:
    Granola (bars or bulk in bags)
    Dried fruit (apricots, apples, bananas, mango, papaya, pineapple, etc.)
    Jerky (Perky Jerky brand is a healthy one!)
    Whole Grain Cookies, or Peanut Butter Monster Cookies
    Olives
    Baby carrots
    Mini boxes of raisins
    Figs
    Dates
    Pumpkin seeds (or any nuts / seeds)
    String cheese

As another poster mentioned, some parks restrict what you can bring in. In those cases, we pack a cooler and leave it in the car, going out to the parking lot for a lunch or snack -- waaaaay cheaper and healthier than the stuff sold inside the park!
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i take clif and granola bars. box of reduced fat wheat thins is always good on a trip, also.
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    OK here is what they say is your option for brining your own food:

"picnic sites located near the restrooms in the parking lot. Picnic tables are also available on the patio of the historic Hersheypark Arena and at the Hersheypark Stadium (availability based upon other Complex events). Electric table-top grills are permitted while picnicking. Any item or cooking equipment that contains an open flame is not permitted, tables are on a first-come, first-served basis. If you need a convenient place to store your cooler, lockers are available by the restrooms in the west parking lot, and between the historic Hersheypark Arena patio picnic area and Tram Circle. Other than one sealed water bottle per person, Hersheypark does not permit food or drink to be brought into the Park. Guests with special dietary needs can review our food and beverage information."

So I say pack a cooler full of low cal foods you would eat (Turkey meat, Flatout (Bread), Fruit, Etc) and just use the Picnic areas.

We do this at our local park (Carowinds) and just tailgate when everyone is hungry!
  • sorrelduncan
    sorrelduncan Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Quakes rice cake snacks come in cheddar, ranch, bbq, apple cinnamon, chocolate and caramel corn. Individual bags are 100 calories or less, and fairly low carbs or sugar, but big on flavor and crunch! Fiber one 90 calorie bars are yummy and fairly guilt free.

I've seen a brand of candy at Walgreens called, Unjunked. They have snickers type bars and m&ms but with WAY less sugar and fat, and all the flavor of the originals.

I've also seen a healthy version of lunchables at Walmart called, Active Packs. My kids & I love them, they have turkey or ham & cheese wraps, cheese pizza or chicken nuggets with side of apples and caramel. Each is 300 calories or less, yet satisfying, fun and convenient. Will need to be kept in cooler, though.
  • wingednotes
    wingednotes Posts: 279
    Options
    Just a thank you to all who responded to this.
    I printed out this discussion and made it my shopping list today.
    I have so many healthy baggies portioned and ready to go.
    You've helped to make this stressful trip a bit less so.
    Thanks!!!!