Will I come full circle?

Options
Hi all,

I started using this website today as part of my healthy eating and exercise routine. I work at a well-known research and education facility for preventitive wellness ( this is actually the second time I have worked here. I worked for 5 years years during the mid 90's.) At that time, I was in my mid 20's and was the picture of good health in every category. After leaving in 1997, I started to gain weight consistantly over 12 years, and now am considered obese in my early forties. I have appx 80 pounds to lose. What a hole!

I work with people who are experts in fitness and nutrition, so I have got a great support group....however, I have been unable to make progress for more than short spurts. I am hoping the tracking tool provided my this website can help me to make it the entire way this time.

Replies

• KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    of course you can do it! I think the important thing is to realize everyone has set backs but you've got to keep going.

GOOD LUCK!
  • DARTHDOUGY
    DARTHDOUGY Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. The thing that get's me sometimes is the depth of the hole I have dug for myself. I have to have patience to see this process through. I figure if it took me 12 years to gain, I should at least give myself 1 year or 2 to lose!
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I have a good 120-130 pounds to lose. When I look at it like that, it seems absolutely impossible. I know they say its best to weigh in once a week, but for me, I weigh myself daily. It motivates me to work harder because all I want to see is one number less than I was yesterday. (my scale gives digital readings to the tenth of a pound) Maybe I will be able to weigh myself less in the future, but this is what works for me for now. I will say it was really hard to see the scale jump up by 2 pounds when they catered Olive Garden for us at work last week. I know it was the sodium, but it was kinda discouraging. Just have to work through things like that and not give up.
  • mesathinks2002
    mesathinks2002 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You and I are pretty much in the same boat. I'm 49 and was 71 over a month ago. It's coming off. Just found this site a couple of weeks ago and it's going much better now. Keeping track of the calories is just one aspect of this site. This is the first time I've ever tracked carbs, fat, protien, sodium etc and now work hard to balance all of these things.

I think we are doing it right by being here and paying attention to all of these things. I reccomend thinking only about the current 10 pound block (260's, 250's etc) . Great mini victories when you click down into the next . It will drop fast at first then steady out and then 15-20 in you will hit a wall. Doesn't matter that your being perfect, you'll hit it. Remember that when you do it will only last a few days or a week if you don't get discouraged and cave. Then you will start dropping again.

Good luck!
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My advice is to focus on inches at first, rather than pounds. If you're working out regularly and eating healthy, you'll see a drastic drop in inches before you see similarly gratifying weight loss. Remember that your goal isn't really a weight--it's the healthy feeling that that weight represents to you! If you focus on being active and healthy, the weight loss will follow. Measuring inches once a week may give you that validation you need to keep going. Even when you're not "losing weight," you're becomming more aware of your body and adopting a healthier lifestyle that will last forever.

Best of luck, and welcome from a fellow nubie! ^_^