Help!

Options
At the moment I am trying to stay under 1,200 calories per day but don't know if this is correct? Does anybody know how many calories I should be on per day? I need to lose a lot of weight!

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    More details would be helpful. Like your height, weight, and activity level.

Or you can play around with a website like: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • hannytoiv87
    hannytoiv87 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft1 weigh 217 pounds have a very inactive job! Have started running everyday though.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmmmmm
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    You can always set it to "lose 1 lb a week" and it will give you more cals to eat....mfp works on a formula, based on 500 cals less for a 1 lb a week loss and 1000 cals down a day for a 2 lb a week loss. Which do you have it set to?
  • emily2975
    emily2975 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'd say try it for a week or so - the 1,200 calories puts your body at a deficit so in essence you are burning more calories than you're consuming. With that said, if you are doing moderate to intense cardio or a lot of strength training you are burning even more calories so the deficit increases further which may mean you need to eat more to fuel those exercises (which is a good thing!)

Give it a go and see if it works for you... if you're honestly hungry (and not just bored which is when I tend to snack! :S ) then increase it a bit... this is all about changing your lifestyle in a realistic and healthy way.

Best of luck!!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You should lose weight in the 1200- 1500 calorie area, especially if you keep the carbs down on account of your PCOS and diabetes issues. 80-100g of carbs per day. 50-80g of protein. Rest as oils and fats. 35C / 25P / 40F on your macros perhaps. If anything, less C.
  • TAPIASANCHEZ
    TAPIASANCHEZ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A prediabetic class in participated in said in order to lose weight we need to stay at 1200 calories a day. Once you achieve your weight multiply that weight times12 and eat only that amount of calories in order to maintain your weight.
  • wwpecker
    wwpecker Posts: 13
    Options
    Looks like you have lost some weight already, so well done! – because of your height and the mfp formula you will lose max weight on this setting, if its too much, adjust accordingly rather than struggle too much or exercise a little and add on to the 1200 cals
    good luck!!:smile:
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    A prediabetic class in participated in said in order to lose weight we need to stay at 1200 calories a day. Once you achieve your weight multiply that weight times12 and eat only that amount of calories in order to maintain your weight.
    If your prediabetic class told you to stick to a certain amount I would listen to them....they are professionals trying to help you. I retract my previous post. Listen to your doctors recommendations always...
  • SwissRiviera
    Options
    It all depends on how much one weights, age, and activity level how many calories you can eat to lose weight. The recommendation is not to be too drastic. You goals have to be livable, doable; if not, it is self defeating. Reasonable goals are from a 1-2 lb weight lost per week. Of course, the more weight you have to lose the quicker it drops to begin with. Don't fixate on that first drop, but the long haul is what counts. You may want to follow up with the dietician from the class for help in setting realistic individual goals. Check out the National Institute for Health 's (NIH website) and the American Diabetic Association's site for more information on diabetes, and also weight loss. Be kind to yourself.....starving in the end leads to increased appetite, weight gain, sense of failure. Filling up on leafy vegetables, salads, green vegetables, can help you feel fuller while restricting calories. I look forward to hearing back what the dietician suggested. Knowledge is power....
  • hannytoiv87
    hannytoiv87 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies. I havent been to the diabetic nutritionist yet I am going to see her later on in the month. Appreicate all your help. Going to go with 1200 calories which is what I have been doing at the moment. and see how I get on

thanks everyone!