Suggestions for sweet, low sugar, gluten free snacks! Help!

Options
Hey all!

So I have a pretty massive sweet tooth and am trying to cut down on the sugar in my diet. I also cannot have gluten/wheat and do best on a lower carb higher good fat/protein diet.
As you can probably tell I'm having a hard time finding good sweet snacks and desserts! I LOVE fruit and eat a lot of it but sometimes you need something new and different!
Any suggestions?

Replies

• cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    If blackberries are gf I'd start there.
  • bodsmack7958
    bodsmack7958 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Also interested!
  • natajane
    natajane Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    How about yoghurt? Or small amounts of sugar, like lolly's?

Sometimes I peel a banana and freeze it - tastes like banana ice cream! Works with cherries too.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

So I have a pretty massive sweet tooth and am trying to cut down on the sugar in my diet. I also cannot have gluten/wheat and do best on a lower carb higher good fat/protein diet.
    As you can probably tell I'm having a hard time finding good sweet snacks and desserts! I LOVE fruit and eat a lot of it but sometimes you need something new and different!
    Any suggestions?

not sure if it's gluten free, but my little go-to dessert when i was needing something sweet was some cool whip and a little cocoa powder...even throw a sugar packet or a splenda in there if it's not sweet enough. i used to pretend it was a super rich mousse, and it would get me thru my cravings.
  • Charliebarleymo
    Options
    Frozen grapes, Dark chocolate, Gluten free brownies, flapjacks etc, but cut into small squares, small funsize bags of jelly sweets,
    yoghurts, puddings in small pots...
  • MissAnnieRosie
    Options
    I already eat A LOT of yogurt. I really like it and I eat the plain full fat yogurt without added sugar because full fat dairy is actually pretty sweet and the sweetened stuff has a TON of sugar which I try to cut down on.
    I eat a ton of fruit already and am looking for a change. I might try the coolwhip with cocoa powder! That sounds like its right up my ally.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I take bananas, slice them and then freeze them. Once frozen I top them with JustGreatStuff powdered peanut butter then drizzle melted Giradelli dark chocolate chips over the top (but not over the top, if you know what I mean), put them back in the freezer til the chocolate gets hard and yum yum yummy!!! :)

Who needs a Reese's Cup LOL!!
  • KittyMarie13
    Options
    My aunt just turned me on to 1/4c lowfat ricotta cheese mixed with about 1Tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder, and a little bit of splenda. Warm it up so it mixes well and then let it chill; tastes kind of like a mouse or thick pudding but with protein. Seems to hit the spot when I want chocolate, especially since I'm not a big fan of plain dark chocolate.
  • matabiau
    matabiau Posts: 59
    Options
    Type paleo snacks on google, all paleo food is gluten free
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    also looking, great post thank you for the info! Paleo snacks, lots of great stuff there
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Does Tofu have gluten because I have a tofu chocolate mousse recipe about 281 cal.
  • matabiau
    Options
    you're welcome
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I buy chocolate coconut Zing bars and cut them into pieces to keep on me for my sweet tooth (they are gf)
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    great post thank you for asking the question.
    BTW I eat various kinds of berries and they are low carbohydrate especially raspberries,blackberries my favorite
  • matabiau
    Options
    almonds are great too
  • soygurl
    soygurl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Check out the blog http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/
    She has TONS of great recipes. Many are gluten free, and most others can easily be altered to be gluten free. :happy:
  • MissAnnieRosie
    Options
    Oh my gosh! So many great ideas! Thanks everybody!
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    You could make some whipped coconut milk and top your fruit of with that.

I saw a great recipe for a coconut smoothie that looks awesome...

1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1 banana
    1/4 cup frozen unsweetened strawberries (or any berry!!)
    1 Tablespoon Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil (or any coconut oil of course)
    1 teaspoon pure maple syrup (or just use stevia, or omit)

Or, make sure you have oats that are gluten free and do a quick raspberry/apple/strawberry crumble.
  • Got2believe
    Got2believe Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    look up keto cheesecakes - gluten free, sugar free, sweet as anything, and LCHF (if I was on my computer I'd post you one)
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I love smoothies. I freeze any fruit you can get your hands on. Then I blend them with a little milk and splenda! With milk in it, it is like a shake! yummm.

I also love the Adkins snack bars, very low carb.

Nuts of any kind. My new found love is cocoa covered almonds.