Hawaiian Chicken - for the pineapple lover in us all.

Options
purplegoboom
purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
So, I'm in love with this recipe. It even pleased my picky husband. And it's low in calories.

I found this recipe in one of my mother's old cookbooks from the early 90s. It was a diet cookbook, but the recipe as written was still too high in calories and sugar for my taste. So here is my modified version.

2 pounds of skinless boneless chicken breasts (although this recipe as written would probably also work with 3 pounds of chicken)
1 20 ounce can pineapple (sliced or diced, diced would be easiest, though. But make sure it's packed in juice and not syrup!)
About 1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons sugar (the original recipe called for 3/4 cup, but who needs all that sugar when you have yummy, juicy pineapple?)
1 tablespoon corn starch (can probably sub with flour)
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 - 1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 green bell pepper (cut thickly into slices or rings)
1 orange bell pepper (cut thickly into slices or rings)

Place skillet over medium heat, spraying lightly with olive oil cooking spray. Brown chicken on both sides (You can either cut it up for a shorter cooking time, or leave the breasts whole. Either way, it works) Meanwhile, drain pineapple, reserving the juice. Cut up pineapple if neccessary. Pour pineapple juice into a measuring cup, and add enough chicken broth to bring it to 1 1/4 cup liquid (probably about 1/2 cup chicken broth)

In a medium bowl, whisk together pineapple juice mixture, cider vinegar, ginger, corn starch, sugar, and soy sauce. Poor over chicken in the skillet, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for about 5 minutes. Top with pineapple (if you haven't eaten it all by this point) and cut up peppers. Cover and let it cook for about 30 minutes until chicken is cooked. If you prefer your peppers to be more crisp, wait to add them until about 5 - 10 minutes before the dish is done cooking.

Makes 4 servings
Calories: 189 Carbs: 35 Protein: 13 Fat: 0 Fiber: 2

Serve with either steamed brown rice or cauliflower rice if you're low carbin' it. I had mine with the cauliflower rice and it was nummy.

Edited to add: You will probably want to use a pretty deep skillet for this. If you don't have one, put it all in a baking dish and pop it in the oven.

Replies