Where my NURSES at???

Options
It is sooooo hard trying to lose weight as a nurse. It can be very stressful at times. A lot of the people in the field could care less about diet and excercise. What do you do to avoid getting caught up in the naughty habits? I just say no politely to all offers of cookies, cakes and donuts brought in by family no matter how lovely the smell and look :-(

Replies

• chrissyrn04
    chrissyrn04 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    it is very very hard... today a family brought in a HUGE basket of baked goods... uhhhh so hard to say no to.
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    LOL all my patients know me so well now they bring me fruit or veggies

They felt sorry for me always turning down the sweets so they bring me my own treat seperate from everyone else in the office :smile:
  • valerievalg
    Options
    Just say thank you so much and eat a piece and put the rest away. I work in a Dr. office and we get lunch in's all the time and cakes, cookies etc and that is what is working for us. if you really know them well just inform them of how you like fruits they bring that instead
  • alipasquarello
    Options
    My biggest problem is when I'm having a stressful/hectic day I just give in and say screw it I've had a rough day eat the fries! I always feel guilty after but before it's so hard to resist! Night shift was even worse!!!
  • lissaluwho
    Options
    I work night shift in the er. It is so hard not to snack on bad food. Especially when I forget my lunch!!!
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    now i feel kind of bad bringing my grandmas nurses sweets when she was dying lol. never realized they wanted healthy food dangit! lol
  • ashleyh3156
    ashleyh3156 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    thats a hard one!!! Sometimes I'm strong and able to not give in....and other times its not so easy!!! For working in the healthcare field I see so many overweight nurses!!
  • flatbellybella
    flatbellybella Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    right here :)

it is tough but anything worth having is tough.

Just pack your own food and watch them eat the crap.
    Sunday night (I was working a night 7-7) they ordered in pizza, pasta and wings.
    They asked me if I wanted to order anything and I obviously declined. What would I have gotten ... a salad? :laugh:
    Anyways, their food came... it smelled really good... but they all complained about how horrible it was.
    My veggies and hummus worked great for me.

There's always crap in the staff room... sometimes it is so tempting but gahhh you just have to stick to it.
    And it's not like a I don't ever have a cheat meal... just if I do... it's going to be something REALLY great.

and I have come across a lot of fit nurses who watch what they eat and likewise quite a lot of overweight nurses...
    It's never the overweight nurses watching what they eat... a few of them say they want to lose weight but then they scraf down 2 snicker bars.... okkkk buddy lol
  • Shakila87
    Shakila87 Posts: 70
    Options
    I knoooooow the feeling!! We got a edible arragement and a big cake lol
  • Shakila87
    Options
    My biggest problem is when I'm having a stressful/hectic day I just give in and say screw it I've had a rough day eat the fries! I always feel guilty after but before it's so hard to resist! Night shift was even worse!!!

Yessss I deff. know this feeling!! Pass the burger, chips, pretzels, cookies etc. Thank you! LOL
  • Shakila87
    Options
    I work night shift in the er. It is so hard not to snack on bad food. Especially when I forget my lunch!!!
    Usually the only thing available is FIg Newtons Oreo's premade sandwhiches, and POP lol I feel for you overnights ER! :-(
  • Shakila87
    Options
    right here :)

it is tough but anything worth having is tough.

Just pack your own food and watch them eat the crap.
    Sunday night (I was working a night 7-7) they ordered in pizza, pasta and wings.
    They asked me if I wanted to order anything and I obviously declined. What would I have gotten ... a salad? :laugh:
    Anyways, their food came... it smelled really good... but they all complained about how horrible it was.
    My veggies and hummus worked great for me.

There's always crap in the staff room... sometimes it is so tempting but gahhh you just have to stick to it.
    And it's not like a I don't ever have a cheat meal... just if I do... it's going to be something REALLY great.

and I have come across a lot of fit nurses who watch what they eat and likewise quite a lot of overweight nurses...
    It's never the overweight nurses watching what they eat... a few of them say they want to lose weight but then they scraf down 2 snicker bars.... okkkk buddy lol

^^^^^ is sooooo true!! Well you sound like you have a lot of will power! That's great!
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    If they're anything like the nurses i know, probably sitting on the *kitten*, letting the NA's do all the work....
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I put them in the staff room and I stay OUT of the staff room.

Bottom line, you control what you put in your mouth. Make sure you have healthy snacks with you, take a deep breath and turn your head away from the junk.

Be a good example for your patients. :)

And to the person remarking about nurses sitting on their *kitten* and letting NAs do all the work, quite the opposite on my floor.. I keep very busy.
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Im working at getting my RN....
  • Shakila87
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!! I will be a good example for my patients. I'm a firm beliver in practicing what I preach.
    And I don't sit on my *kitten* all day I work like a damn maid making sure my patients have what they need and my CNA's respect me for helping them out when they need it!
  • sheiwat
    sheiwat Posts: 47
    Options
    Its hard...today a family brought pizza....In case management ppl bring goodies everyday to bribe you...i gained 15 lbs in the first year...i had to learn to say no thanks.. Now i ask them (those seeking referrals) to bring me 100cal snacks...lol
  • free2live72003
    Options
    As a nurse, I am also surprised that the hospital I work in does not offer healthy alternative when it treats its own staff to food.

It is almost always cake, ice cream, or pizza. What is the message we are sending as health care representatives?

I agree that regardless of your career choice you should be able to choose the type food you will eat, but I would like to see the hospital at least offer a healthy option to those of us who value eating to fuel our bodies not just feed our sweet tooth.
  • Shakila87
    Options
    It would be nice if companies would offer healthier alternatives especially as health care providers. Where we promote healthy behavior to our patients, but see nurses in the breakroom scarfing down horrible food choices.
  • Desika87
    Desika87 Posts: 111
    Options
    at the hospital I work there is always a salad bar offered to the staff... unfortunately, I work at OR, so there is little time for having any lunch... but I try to get my own food with me, drink a lot of water and when I really need something, I started to bring along some mini-rice cakes...