what is going on?

Options
I started on here counting my calories a month ago. I started out losing 3 pounds a week but now i have not lost a pound in a couple of weeks I actually went UP! what am i doing wrong? i have only gained back 3 pounds but DAMMIT its in the wrong direction! My exercise is doing the cross fit a couple days a week, zumba a couple days a week and also lifting weights a little bit.

I looked through my food diary and when i stopped losing weight i was under my calories by about 300 on a lot of days. So now i am doing my best to meet the 1200 calorie goal but its tough! i have a lot of muscle in my legs and butt and have been working out for awhile so i know it was not counting calories that was holding me back from losing but now i dont know what is going on? Can someone help me? I thought i had this all figured out then i quit losing! grr

Replies

• goldilocks509
    goldilocks509 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • gamjohn
    gamjohn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would guess muscle gain. Sounds like you're getting some great workouts in and they could be sculpting your muscles away! :)
    Make sure you're getting plenty of water in and watch your sugars and see if that helps
  • goldilocks509
    Options
    so should i eat back those calories that i exercise away? do you think it could be that causing me not to lose?
    I would guess muscle gain. Sounds like you're getting some great workouts in and they could be sculpting your muscles away! :)
    Make sure you're getting plenty of water in and watch your sugars and see if that helps
  • goldilocks509
    Options
    bump!
  • owl92
    owl92 Posts: 74
    Options
    it could be the muscle or water retention pushing on sore muscle nerve endings from when you work out. Or could be your period is due soon or in a weeks time.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    so should i eat back those calories that i exercise away? do you think it could be that causing me not to lose?

You are starving yourself and messing up your metabolism...Eat back the calories you burn, otherwise you are trying to live on about 500 calories a day

And btw, you CANNOT be building muscles on such a huge deficit - so the gain is your body telling you it had enough of trying to exist on nothing....
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    It's not muscle gain, not if you're on a calorie deficit.

Weight loss is never linear. It always starts out faster than average and yep, sometimes it goes in the other direction a bit before going back down again - usually due to fluid fluctuations, sometimes due to inaccurate measuring or overestimate burns, or it could be you've hit a genuine plateau (though I doubt it within a month), in which case, try shaking things up a little - change out your foods and exercise routine for something different, don't let your body adapt to the weight loss.
  • goldilocks509
    Options
    Ok i was wodering if i was putting myself into starvation mode since thats when i quit losing...

You are starving yourself and messing up your metabolism...Eat back the calories you burn, otherwise you are trying to live on about 500 calories a day

And btw, you CANNOT be building muscles on such a huge deficit - so the gain is your body telling you it had enough of trying to exist on nothing....
  • goldilocks509
    Options
    What would you suggest? I already do zumba and crossfit rowing machine and the treadmil at home...oh and lift weights. I am noticing that i can see more definition in my arm muscles now and my waist was shrinking. the jeast that fit me perfectly with no fat hanging over are now tight around the waist again! so eat back the 500 or so calories i burn working out shoud fix this? and how long will it take for my body to realize i am going to feed it and its not starving? this deficit has been going on for a couple weeks.
    It's not muscle gain, not if you're on a calorie deficit.

Weight loss is never linear. It always starts out faster than average and yep, sometimes it goes in the other direction a bit before going back down again - usually due to fluid fluctuations, sometimes due to inaccurate measuring or overestimate burns, or it could be you've hit a genuine plateau (though I doubt it within a month), in which case, try shaking things up a little - change out your foods and exercise routine for something different, don't let your body adapt to the weight loss.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Up your calories immediately so that you net at least 1200 per day...It will take a few weeks - you already put your body on alert by underfeeding it, so have patience...