New runner

Options
Hi everyone, I started the couch to 5km app and I love it! I am in no shape to run for a long period of time, so my question is....anyone embarrased to run outside? I find I am always stopping if I see someone that I know or notice someone staring. I know I shouldn't care but I guess it can be a sight seeing a large woman running. I just prefer it to my treadmill and my goal is to start signing up for actual runs!

Replies

• karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    i don't run outside, mostly cuz i'm afraid i'll get mugged or something (hilarious if you knew the small town i lived in)... but i feel so much better after I run/jog that that is always my motivation. I just plug my earbuds in & jam out to some Pink or some other "man hater" type music (that's how i describe it, tho i love men - particulary my hubs ha ha)..

I found a pic on fb the other day that had a picture of like some hot olypmic runner and a kid tripping over themselves and the captions said "what i feel like when i run" / "what i'm sure i look like when i run" lol, priceless.
  • Lindsey1985x
    Lindsey1985x Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i'm too shy to brave the outside just yet!! i just don't want to feel people are laughing at the overweight girl jogging....lol. daft isnt it!!!
  • skinnyby30
    skinnyby30 Posts: 14
    Options
    hey congrats on picking up running! This time last year I could not jog for 30 seconds ( no joke) I did the 5k101 program and wow!! Amazing! in just weeks I ran for 30 minutes with out stopping!!! I literally cried the first time I ran for 30 minutes, I didn't want to run out side when first starting but I didnt own a treadmill then so I had no choice. I ran on my treadmill over winter and started running out doors again when it warmed up. I know love out door runs for the fresh air and view :) I wish you the best with running and if you keep up on it I suggest the nike + it is awesome and tells you how far you ran what pace and how many calories you burn each run :)
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm always self conscious when I run by or around others. Even on days I'm feeling good about myself I still worry about "butt jiggle" and my tomato red running face. I literally have to push myself through it. On days I'm feeling especially frumpy I really have to psych myself up to get out there but I try to remind myself WHY i'm doing it. It doesn't matter what your reasons are just know that's what's imortant to you then get out there! It's hard to think of it this way sometimes but remember that you are doing more than most of THEM who might be staring at you. Be your own best cheerleader and just keep at it! :flowerforyou:
  • Springer007
    Springer007 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I started the couch to 5km app and I love it! I am in no shape to run for a long period of time, so my question is....anyone embarrased to run outside? I find I am always stopping if I see someone that I know or notice someone staring. I know I shouldn't care but I guess it can be a sight seeing a large woman running. I just prefer it to my treadmill and my goal is to start signing up for actual runs!

Dont feel like that at all.
    When I see a "large woman" (your words) running, all I think is "GOOD FOR YOU!!!" I am happy that that person is doing something to help themselves instead of getting worse. Its actually inspiring. You think "if she can do it, then I better get off my butt and do it too"
  • Ashleys0981
    Ashleys0981 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies! I guess it's just a matter of having a "who cares" attitude and just reaching my goal. I can't wait for the day that I can run 30 mins without stopping.
  • Ashleys0981
    Ashleys0981 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Oh...and feel free to add me. I love all the support on this site.
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    i'm too shy to brave the outside just yet!! i just don't want to feel people are laughing at the overweight girl jogging....lol. daft isnt it!!!

Think of yourself as that girl that doesn't want to be "content" with being unfit anymore... being arogant in your head as you run, will do wonders lol - and push you farther ;) ... it's how i get over humps in my running... i scan the gym for someone sitting on at the juice bar, using gym time to socialize, not work out lol, and i think how much better i will look ;) !!
  • IAmABetterMe
    IAmABetterMe Posts: 128 Member
    Options

I will share this with you... My DD (12) is a VERY fit Gymnast... we saw this cute overweight girl running/walking on our main road just the other day... wanna know what she did... she rolled down the window and screamed

YOU CAN DO IT.... KEEP GOING YOU ARE LOOKING BEAUTIFUL....

It was a very proud moment... she turns to me and says ... Mom Everyone needs a little encouragement sometime :smile: