Arghhh, which protein powder?

Options
natajane
natajane Posts: 295 Member
Hello,

I'm struggling to get my protein intake to 30% of my calories, so want to buy a protein powder.

I am completely new to taking any kind of supplement so I'm a bit wary!

My goal is weight loss, and to maintain lean muscle whilst I reduce my calories. I'm not a body builder or athlete.

I just want something that -

Has high protein
Has low fat & calories
Doesn't contain loads of crap/chemicals
Doesn't taste completely awful
Is available in the UK

I hear that whey protein isolate is better to have?

Any help much appreciated.

X

Replies

• digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I know this is slightly against what your asking for, but my 2 cents are that meat, or eggs would be the way to go
  • natajane
    natajane Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Yeah I guess food is preferable being more natural, but a colleague at work mentioned that I might be able to find a powder that is mainly just whey (which comes naturally off of milk) ?

Also I would have to eat a lot more calories from food to get a good amount of protein, than if I had some of these shakes?

Just an extra note to mmy first post - I'm not intending to use this as meal replacement, but as 'snacks'. I get 1650 cals a day.
  • Gapwedge01
    Gapwedge01 Posts: 494
    Options
    Look up the ingredients of ISS Research Complete Whey Protein Powder. Mixes well with water, 24g of protein and only 1.5g of sugar. Chocolate is my favorite flavor. I typically mix mine with water, frozen bananas and strawberries and sometimes with frozen blueberries.
  • bigbrownbear123
    Options
    Basically I'd agree with digitalsteel. The only real reason to use protein powders is for convenience when at the gym.

Otherwise you're best off just including some higher protein foods in your diet. Some suggestions:
    Dairy (milk, yoghurt, low fat cheese)
    Lean meat
    Fish
    Eggs
    Beans and pulses
    Nuts (although they are often high in fat)
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Www.myprotein.co.uk
    Www.bulkpowders.co.uk
    Www.bodybuildingwarehouse.co.uk. (their have their own brand called 'premium whey'

Isolates are more expensive but do have a little higher protein content per serving, most people will be just fine with the basic whey product.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I'm struggling to get my protein intake to 30% of my calories, so want to buy a protein powder.

My goal is weight loss, and to maintain lean muscle whilst I reduce my calories. I'm not a body builder or athlete.

Has high protein
    Has low fat & calories
    Is available in the UK

X

http://www.phd-fitness.co.uk/store/p/38751/1/PhD-Nutrition---Diet-Whey-1Kg.html
  • Ariana_75
    Ariana_75 Posts: 224
    Options
    Not sure if they have it in the UK but my favorite at the moment is Myofusion Probiotic Cinnamon Roll. It tastes delicious and can make a mean protein pancake!
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I don't know what all is available in the UK, but I use Gold Standard 100% Natural Whey - you can buy it on amazon.com, it's about $50 for 5 lbs of powder, and has 5.5g BCAA. There are, of course, more expensive ones like GNC stuff with higher BCAA, but this one seems to work for me. I feel good and I'm progressing well with my resistance training.

(protein powder is good for pole dancers, too! :-D )
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Has high protein
    Has low fat & calories
    Is available in the UK

X

http://www.phd-fitness.co.uk/store/p/38751/1/PhD-Nutrition---Diet-Whey-1Kg.html

Not a fan of phd personally, their stuff is so overpriced.
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition has a line of 100% natural protein powders... they mix easily and taste better than just about anything else out there.

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/natural-products-c-11.html?zenid=95a0518b99e984f1e689dd38e11cc27c
  • DemOniC_PT
    DemOniC_PT Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Check Optimum Nutrition Gold Standart Whey, Dymatize Elite Whey or SCI-MX Ultragen Whey (UK Brand)
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I use Max Protein from GNC, I dont use it everyday just a couple of times a week if I am lacking in my protein. the Drs have me on a low fat, low sodium diet so it is not always easy to get enough from meat and eggs.
  • bigbrownbear123
    Options
    OK if you are intent on using a protein power, I would recommend www.myprotein.co.uk

They are a UK based website and have the best prices on the web! Whats more, if you find a site with a better price for a same or very similar product, they will beat that price by 5%! Have used that website for a while now, can't recommend them enough.

(I live in the UK)
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard (Extreme Milk Chocolate flavor is tasty!)

If you want to be able to put more protein into your cooking you can try Optimum Nutrition 100% Any Whey protein
  • kaylarachellee
    kaylarachellee Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    PRO NOS WHEY ISOLATE COMPLEX. YUMMMM!
  • kaylarachellee
    kaylarachellee Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    PRO NOS WHEY ISOLATE COMPLEX. YUMMMM!

Taste good with water too... :)
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I have never fully trusted whether the product really matches the label claims.
    There was once a publication called Lab Test Review which took random samples from various supplements off the shelf.
    The results forever tainted my confidence in these products.
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I will agree that it is overwhelming trying to choose a protein supplement! I have been getting in to endurance bike riding and "need" to eat a lot of protein. I try to eat vegan as much as possible (probably 98% of my calories per week are vegan), and I eat a lot of tofu already so I use hemp protein powder. It has kind of a strong taste, but you can get used to it and make it tolerable with adding ingredients to your smoothies. I usually just use fruit in my smoothies, sometimes veggies. You can also use it in baking. I recently made some muffins (gluten free and vegan) with hemp protein powder in place of some of the flour that the recipe called for. I have used Nutriva and Bob's Red Mill brands...not sure of their availability in the UK but I'm sure you can find it somewhere.
  • lrobson555
    lrobson555 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Oooo a fellow British girly!

Try monstersupplements.com they are amazing :)
    They do super fast delivery for free and they tell you when you parcel will be delivered to the hour!

I get PhD Nutrition - Diet Whey. I've only tried the Vanilla and the Chocolate Orange, but like them both. I've also had the PhD Pharma Whey HT+ too in Chocolate Mint and that was pretty good too.
    I tend to have a shake before my workout in the morning and then another mid-afternoon to stop me snacking :)
  • rachaee
    rachaee Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hey sweet,

I use protein powder for your exact reasons and my fav at the mo is vanilla true whey from myprotein.co.uk...not too expensive for what you get and tastes like liquid ice cream!