how much exercise should I be doing?

Options
I've started running recently, and I'm going to try to do 10/15 minutes a day as I don't have much time, and also I don't want to push myself too far and knacker my knees/ankles. my lifestyle's very active anyway, I'm always rushing around London and walking from station to station, 4/5 working days I'll hardly get to sit down all day.
I'm just not sure how much I should be doing as I'd like to lose 8-9lbs or at least tone up, I want to see a difference. also I'm cutting rubbish out of my diet and eating loads of veg and trying to drink more water.

help would be much appreciated I'm new to this :)

thanks in advance :)

Replies

• mielchat
    mielchat Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The recommended is 20-30 minutes 3-5x a week, if that helps :smile:
  • bigbrownbear123
    Options
    10/15 minutes sounds great for someone who has just started running! Just increase it slowly, only as much as you feel comfortable. As a suggestion, maybe increase it by 2 minutes every week. If you feel you're pushing yourself too hard, cut back a little. If you feel you're not pushing yourself enough, try running for a little longer.

By the sounds of your lifestyle and the fact that you have cut rubbish out of your diet, I'm sure you'll have no problem losing that 8-9lbs. Good luck!
  • charbar22
    charbar22 Posts: 3
    Options
    thankyou :D for a swift reply aswell :)
  • charbar22
    charbar22 Posts: 3
    Options
    thanks a lot :) also, does running make your leg muscles huge? I want to be toned but I can't have big thigh muscles or I won't be able to work! if I keep my running moderate can I tone without having bulging muscles?
  • kierstin1976
    kierstin1976 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You won't get bulging muscles from running.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Arnie didn't get his legs from running...

You will have lovely toned legs if you run. Think of all the Olympic runners. Their legs are shapely.

If you are only doing 10-15 minutes, you could try a bit of HIIT... every 3 minutes do a mad sprint that can't be sustained for longer than 15-20 seconds.
  • Lennox497
    Lennox497 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I always like to have multiple types of cardio. Rather do multiple exercises one after another instead one continuous cardio exercise.

3500m Rowing about 13 minutes
    15 minute run
    5 minute jump rope

I do this after my weight training.
  • vsecret921
    vsecret921 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have just started running and have been doing the c25k and love it!

Good luck :)