Abs question

Options
Hi all,

I am getting close to my goal weight but cannot get rid of my belly fat. I have been doing a lot of cardio and light weights but have been reluctant to do sit ups until I was a little thinner (was afraid sit ups would make my belly pooch out even more if I was still fat). I am getting pretty tone except for my stomach.
This might be a dumb question but do sit ups and abdominal exercises really help while you are loosing weight or is it better to wait until there is less fat on the belly?
Are there foods to avoid specifically for belly fat (besides alcohol)?
Thanks !

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I had a health tip come up on my workout program that said that eating low fat dairy each day reduces belly fat. Situp's will help tone the area. It is important to have a strong core to prevent injury all kinds.
  • RunLillian
    RunLillian Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've had the same problem! I recently (about a month and a half) stopped eating sweets and greasy foods and i've noticed a big decrease in the belly fat. I don't do too much ab work but i do run which helps. I've been running about 7-8 years so I know this decrease is because of my healthier diet. Also, I eat oatmeal every morning for breakfast with some protein powder...which was a great way to kick off the weight loss! Best wishes!
  • conniec13
    Options
    I have been following the Real Age diet and I'm losing first in my belly. There are plenty of recipes so you can find any food that you like. Dr. Oz points out that the fat around the belly is the worst and that is how he and Dr. Roizen set up the diet. Unfortunately, I still can't get rid of the pooch sack underneath or at least make a dent in it. Hoe it all works out for you.
    Connie
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    There is not a way to tell the body to eliminate fat in a specific area. We're all different and we all carry our fat differently. If the stomach fat is what's left, then that's what's left. If you want it gone, you've got it to lose but don't expect any quick results.

The abs are another muscle group just like the back, arms, chest, shoulders, and legs, and should be worked just like you work the other muscle group, regardless of how much extra fat you have.
  • jenners22
    Options
    Here is the best tip you will ever get....joing a Pilates class at your local hospital. Most of the meet once a week, but if you do the exercises more than once a week...you will see and feel the result. Did you know you use your core muscles to steer your vehicle...you didn't? Well...after pilates, you will :wink: It is so worth it.
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Here is the best tip you will ever get....joing a Pilates class at your local hospital. Most of the meet once a week, but if you do the exercises more than once a week...you will see and feel the result. Did you know you use your core muscles to steer your vehicle...you didn't? Well...after pilates, you will :wink: It is so worth it.

lovin this answer!!!
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Here's my theory...your belly is the 'bag' that holds all your insides together...If the bag is weak it sags and all those insides push out and make a poochy belly look. If you tone your abs and make those muscles strong and tight, then it will hold all those insides in and flat!

Even those muscle bound guys who are really ripped have a flat six pack - I've never seen a poochy belly with muscles!

Tone away, my dear!!!
  • saraketner
    Options
    You should try pilates. It really works the whole core ( back, butt, hips, and abs) not just the abdominals. Having a strong core improves posture and makes the stomach flatter.
  • wayless
    wayless Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The writing below was posted on my personal blog some time ago. At the point I began the workouts, I'd lost about 49 pounds.
    I thought I was down to a good weight where I could lay on the abdominal workouts pretty heavily. In three weeks, I've crunched it; I've done standing abs; I've done Pilate's for abs; and I've done this killer workout that a boxer leads. Abt a month ago I saw an inch change in my waist, but this last three weeks I've felt rather THICK. While my waist looks toned; it looks WIDER. Not the look I was going for. Because of this, I will lay off of the mega ab workout and focus on cardio, my back and legs.

131341.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • golddogs
    golddogs Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses.
    Happy Thanksgiving!!:smile: