Lifting then cardio vs. cardio then lifting.

Options
I always start by running 3 to 3.5 miles(typically takes me 24 to 27 minutes) prior to going in and lifting.
I feel this works for me and I have been happy with my results so far. I feel the run energizes me and fires me up to lift.
I'm about 9 months into this daily routine.
I get told almost daily I should switch it up and lift then run. I'm told that by running then lifting I am defeating the purpose of lifting. However I've been amazed by my results and struggling with the idea to switch it up and lift then run.

So I'm looking for your opinion and your knowledge on the matter. What do you find gives you greater results?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The theory behind lift first then cardio is that if you're tired you will not, most likely, work out with the same intensity that you otherwise would. Like everything else related to fitness and weight loss there are differences of opinion (and, sadly very little hard data to back up each sides' claims)

If you're happy with your results stick with what you're doing.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    The theory behind lift first then cardio is that if you're tired you will not, most likely, work out with the same intensity that you otherwise would. Like everything else related to fitness and weight loss there are differences of opinion (and, sadly very little hard data to back up each sides' claims)

If you're happy with your results stick with what you're doing.

I also find this theory to be true. If I cardio first, I cannot lift at the same performance level because I'm tired from all the cardio.

I also note that when I lift first, my cardio performance is affected, but that doesn't worry me as much.

But I also agree that OP should do with whatever works. If you already have "amazing results" and are happy with it, feel free to tell people to STFU and do what is working for you.

Or try swapping it for a week and see if the results get even more amazing, if you're genuinely curious about it.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I agree with the 'don't fix it if it ain't broke' position. If you like the results you're getting, and you enjoy doing it this way, keep it up. If you start to lose your faith in your current system - ie, it stops working for you - then it's time to think about playing around with your routine.
  • reyopo
    reyopo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thank you, same question! I was told the same thing this morning by a trainer at my gym. She says it's harder to push our muscles to true failure if you are tired from cardio. My lift days are Tuesdays and Thursdays AFTER Zumba. I drop my daughter at school at 8:30 and Zumba starts at 9:00, so there is no time to lift first. I love my Zumba, and I REALLY don't want to give it up to lift first unless there is a definitive proven reason that I can't benefit as significantly if I do cardio first. Real science anyone??
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    The other alternative is do them on different days. Both do not have to be done on the same day. If your primary goal is fat loss, there is some benefit to cardio warm up/ strength training/ cardio work. You have depleted some glycogen and will burn more fat once you get to your cardio session in theory. I do this sometimes but I like to do each with intensity so typically, I'll split my cardio and strength to different days, eg this week, Saturday- Bike, Sunday-light run, Monday-strength, Tuesday-rest, Wednesday-strength, Thursday-bike etc, etc.
  • bigbrownbear123
    Options
    I'd agree with what most people have said about 'whatever works for you'.

I'd also suggest it depends upon your goals. If your main goal is to improve your cardio, do cardio first to get more out of it. If your main goal is to improve strength, do weights first.
  • Jbirch76
    Jbirch76 Posts: 34
    Options
    Thanks for replys.

My main goal is strength endurance. As well as shedding fat. Through this process I have gained inches
    where it counts(ie. arms, shoulders, chest.) and drastically lost inches where it counts.(ie waist, hips etc.)
    I've gone from a 42 pant to a 32 pant in the past year. I've been good about mixing up my lifting routines
    so that I don't get complacent in my goals.

Strength-Endurance = Heavy Weights + Short Rest + Volume
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a combination of both. Do it one way one day, then the next time the other.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JacquiC72
    JacquiC72 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I do 10-15 minutes of cardio (used as a warm up), rest, weights, rest, 10-15 minutes of cardio so there's a split. I think if I was running more, then I'd probably do cardio first, rest, weights.
  • DemOniC_PT
    DemOniC_PT Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Lift first, do the cardio next or in another day.
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I always have done cardio then lifting. When I played soccer at a high level we began every workout with a 5-10k run. Then we practiced or hit the weight room. This was my routine from about 16 years old on. I found when I started working out again this time that I liked the same old routine and I am getting really good results. A trainer told me I was doing it all backwards too, but I get good results and feel good about it so for now I will continue with this plan cause it works for me.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I used to do cardio first because I hated boring cardio and I wanted to get it over with and save the best for last.

Now I do cardio and strength on alternating days, and only do the cardio that I enjoy...swimming, dancing, volleyball, jogging outside.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I always do a brisk 1 mile walk before lifting. I feel like I need to loosen things up before hitting the weights.
  • filmdir
    filmdir Posts: 5
    Options
    I tend to lift first and then do cardio after. Sides from not being tired during my lifting I've noticed that if I finish with cardio I'm not as sore the next day from lifting.
  • Thurrin
    Thurrin Posts: 7
    Options
    Lift first, do the cardio next or in another day.

Agree with this, I tend to do my cardio after lifting.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Cardio before lifting will sap your energy from lifting to a much greater degree than lifting will take away from your cardio. BUT, if it's working for you, then keep doing it your way. Especially if the primary benefits of lifting (muscular strength and size) are not your main goals, then it's perfectly fine.

This is one of those things gets argued back and forth on MFP but doesn't really apply to 80% of the users here. If you're going all out and trying to increase your max deadlift by 15% or busting your but to add a half inch to your arms, then it matters a lot and you need to switch. But if you're just trying to improve some baseline strength and muscle tone, do it whichever way you want and ignore everyone else.
  • spdoman7
    spdoman7 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I was always told cardio first to get the heart rate up, then somewhat sustain that elevated heart rate through your lifting to increase overall calorie burn
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replys.

My main goal is strength endurance. As well as shedding fat. Through this process I have gained inches
    where it counts(ie. arms, shoulders, chest.) and drastically lost inches where it counts.(ie waist, hips etc.)
    I've gone from a 42 pant to a 32 pant in the past year. I've been good about mixing up my lifting routines
    so that I don't get complacent in my goals.

Strength-Endurance = Heavy Weights + Short Rest + Volume

Sounds like you are getting great results with what you've been doing! Unless you are stalling or feel the need to change it up to progress, I'd say stay with it! What kind of strength routine are you currently doing?
  • Jbirch76
    Jbirch76 Posts: 34
    Options
    Sounds like you are getting great results with what you've been doing! Unless you are stalling or feel the need to change it up to progress, I'd say stay with it! What kind of strength routine are you currently doing?

For the last few weeks I have been using a routine I got off of bodybuilding.com

High set, low reps. 15 to 20 seconds between sets.

Day 1
    Clean and Press : 15 sets x 2 reps
    Curl Grip Chin : 15 x 2
    Medium Grip Bench Press : 10 x 1
    Barbell Curl and Press: 6 x 4
    Abdominal Work

Day 3
    Dips : 12 sets x 3 reps
    Clean and Front Squat: 20 x 2
    Bent Rows: 12 x 2
    Deadlift : 20 x1
    Abdominal Work

Day 5
    Clean and Press : 20 sets x 1 rep
    Bench Press : 8 x 2
    Barbell Curls : 6 x 3
    Chin : 15 x 2
    Abdominal Work

Day's 2 and 4 I fill in the gaps with light isolation lifts, low sets higher reps. and cardio only on the 6th day.