Arghhh, which protein powder?

Options
2»

Replies

• 152dbs
    152dbs Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    BSN Syntha-6 - strawberry milkshake flavor is FN delicious....
  • agardner70
    Options
    I have tried the basic whey powder from Holland & Barratt and the banana one is nice especially with milk. Bulk powders website offers better value though and do a really tasty strawberry flavour. Again with milk is best - I believe that besides making these powders nicer to drink milk helps in other ways. The bulk powders one fills me up and although it is not sold as a meal replacement one scoop with milk for breakfast keeps me satisfied until lunch.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard
  • freckled_lady
    Options
    Whole food is the best way to go. But if you need an extra boost Now! Eggwhite Protein Powder is all natural, no additives, dyes etc and blends well into smoothies.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013OXDBU/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M2T1_SC_dp_i1
  • Brendalia1956
    Options
    I use the Premiere Vanilla Shakes from COSTCO and they also have chocolate. They have a pretty good taste and actually tastes like a milkshake.
  • bigbrownbear123
    Options
    Once again though, I'd stress:
    Basically I'd agree with digitalsteel. The only real reason to use protein powders is for convenience when at the gym.

Otherwise you're best off just including some higher protein foods in your diet. Some suggestions:
    Dairy (milk, yoghurt, low fat cheese)
    Lean meat
    Fish
    Eggs
    Beans and pulses
    Nuts (although they are often high in fat)
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I used Maxitone Sculptress Diet chocolate delight for the first time today. It tasted pretty good, but being as I've only had it once I have no idea whether it's any good yet. It was recommended to me by a friend though, who got on well with it.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of The Organic Whey (www.theorganicwhey.com)
  • pamelagayew
    Options
    I did a lot of research before deciding on Optimum Nutrition Oats and Whey because I am very sensitive to any kind of artificial sweetener. It has 24g of protein and uses natural sweeteners and tastes fantastic. My first container was vanilla bean which I loved but this time I ordered milk chocolate. It is good but I think I preferred the vanilla bean. It mixes well and tastes great with just water too. I get mine off Amazon and here is the link so you can check it out. I do believe it is also on the Amazon.uk site as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Natural-Vanilla-Pound/dp/B002DYJ0KW
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with getting extra protein in powder form rather than from food.

Someone mentioned Any Whey by Optimum Nutrition. This is one of the "unflavored" protein powders you can use for cooking. I use it cooked into oatmeal and grits for breakfast, or even dissolved in almond milk (for morning cereal) or yogurt.

Whey protein is "fast metabolizing" and that is why body builders use it for post-workout bulking. Since you are not interested in that (building up strained muscle tissue to achieve hypertrophy) you may want to look at other kinds of powders such as those based on egg, cassein, vegetables, and beef.

Whey protein makes me bloated and gassy... others also report this, while others are not bothered by it.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Why does it have to come in a powder? why not eat better foods? Just a thought....

Oh, and as fort he specific question. The one that tastes best to you
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    You can order online at www.bodybuilding.com pretty much every protein powder that is available. Right now, I use Gaspari Myofusion Probiotic in Chocolate. I like it, but I'm thinking of switching to something else once I go through my huge container of it. It's really good for supplementing protein in your diet when you're just not getting enough of it through what you eat (or you have lost track of time and can't cook anything!). Lots of people use protein powders, not just body builders and athletes, lol. Also, the owner of my gym recently gave me a free serving of Syntrax Nectar Protein Powder in an Oreo cookie flavor.... OMG! So gooooood and so light, easy on the stomach. BB.com doesn't seem to sell it, but it can be bought online.

BB.com has articles on how to choose a protein powder, but basically, don't go too cheap. You get what you pay for with most of them, so spending a little more is usually best. Good luck finding one you like!!
  • debussyschild
    Options
    Why does it have to come in a powder? why not eat better foods? Just a thought....

Oh, and as fort he specific question. The one that tastes best to you

It doesn't have to, but quality protein powders like a whey isolate are really great supplements to help you meet protein goals. Plus, they're really quick and convenient and you can even cook with them. They're not a requirement by any means, just really helpful.
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    cytosport is good. Ever since I started taking it, I've gotten huge.
  • hmgarcia83
    hmgarcia83 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    profit by it works high on protein but not so high is bad low on calories taste yummy
  • seitys
    seitys Posts: 4
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition. There are serious questions as to the actual protein content in protein powders in other brands. Do your research and get your money's worth.
  • debussyschild
    Options
    Yeah I guess food is preferable being more natural, but a colleague at work mentioned that I might be able to find a powder that is mainly just whey (which comes naturally off of milk) ?

Also I would have to eat a lot more calories from food to get a good amount of protein, than if I had some of these shakes?

Just an extra note to mmy first post - I'm not intending to use this as meal replacement, but as 'snacks'. I get 1650 cals a day.

I have my calorie goal set at 1950 and 40% of my intake is protein and it can be challenging to meet it. You'll have to get good about preparing food in advance, but eating fish (canned or fresh), chicken breast, lean beef, or eggs (egg whites, especially) are all great sources of protein. Nuts are good, but they tend to be high in fat as well. Powders are great especially for post-workout because they are convenient. You can put a scoop in a blender bottle, then fill it up with water and shake it to mix it up at the gym as you're leaving. I do agree with the others that maybe having one serving a day as a snack (like accompanied with a small piece of fruit) is a great way to go.
  • huckleberry0070
    huckleberry0070 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I personally can't stand the taste of whey powder... even if it's flavored. I like Muscle Milk powder. It's about 150 calories per scoop but you can also get muscle milk light in both powder and premixed liquid form for about 100 calories.
  • natajane
    natajane Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions so far, feel free to keep them coming :)
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I buy Promax Diet from maxi-muscle 38g protein 215Kcal 4g Fat 10g Carbs........it tastes really nice. The calories are based on you making it with water. I add 400ml Soya milk to get a grand total of 51g protein :)