Cup of Tea?

Options
Hi everyone,

I've not posted here before, but I wanted to ask if anyone has found a good alternative to a nice cup of tea?! It's so cold in my office that I really need the occasional hot drink. Problem is I really cannot drink tea without sugar and milk, which is ruining my good work with the food diary.

Has anyone found a tasty alternative? I've tried camomile and these fancy herbal infusions but they just don't cut it.

Thanks
V

Replies

• ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Yes I have the same problem with my coffee, I just cannot drink it black. I use fat free creamer, its about 20 calories for two tablespoons, which is plenty, and equal which is no calories, to sweeten. I hear some people use stevia, which is a more natural alternative to sweeten.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Maybe the diet hot chocolate?
  • Josephina57
    Josephina57 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I use stevia in my tea. I would think the amount of calories in the milk would be minimal.
  • ChanniVincent
    Options
    I drink green tea.
    When I order tea I get 2 sweeteners and 1 milk.
    I use to drink triple triple (With creamer).
    Milk is healthier and I no longer drink sugar.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    skim and stevia or truvia?
  • twiztc
    twiztc Posts: 135
    Options
    I'm a big tea drinker and had the same problem.
    I dont have milk though.

i went through just about every kind of tea i can get my hands on and always ended back to the good 'ole cuppa.

so i just had to get used to less sugar, im down to half a spoon now.

anything with rose hips is supposed to taste sweeter and i dont mind those.
  • itsafrappe
    itsafrappe Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    definately stevia and skim or almond milk
  • ConstableOdo
    ConstableOdo Posts: 104
    Options
    I recommend trying different types of tea. Everyone has one tea they can drink straight. I recommend adagio. I buy all my tea through them. If you want something with sweetness built in, try the Fujian Jasmine Pearl. It's expensive, but you need like... five pearls and they steep multiple times. Just don't brew it too hot or you get bitter tea.
  • babsbrack
    babsbrack Posts: 20
    Options
    Oolong tea is very nice, you don't need milk or sugar with it, especially if you drink Orange blossom Oolong tea. Plus as an added bonus it helps with weight loss especially water retention.
  • Vincette
    Vincette Posts: 11
    Options
    Never heard of Stevia. Will give it a go. Always assumed any other sweeteners would be artificial and bad for you. Shows what I know. Thanks!
  • aidenvail
    aidenvail Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Actually, you CAN drink tea without sugar or milk! Your taste buds can be trained to like absolutely anything. I used to need milk and sugar in my tea, but I have weaned myself from both. Keep decreasing the amount of sugar and milk you put in. Eventually, you will need neither and just enjoy having a nice cuppa! Remember, "I can't" is not a valid reason when it comes to nutrition or exercise. =)
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Green tea or white tea are good alternatives but drink them as Chinese teas are intended, plain.:happy:
  • Vincette
    Vincette Posts: 11
    Options
    aidenvail, you make a very valid point. I really should wean myself off the sugar at least, because I know I have a sweet tooth anyway and I'm usually always over on my sugar intake. So I reckon long term I shall do as you suggest, bit by bit.

In the meantime though I need an alternative sweetener! :)
  • aidenvail
    aidenvail Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That's the spirit! :drinker:
  • momof4ts
    momof4ts Posts: 118
    Options
    Green tea is proven to help boost metabloism lots of different flavors to cjoose from:drinker:
  • phndoc
    phndoc Posts: 1
    Options
    See if you can use honey.
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Options
    Then drink the tea plainly. Or you could buy flavoured black teas like caramel, vanilla, spiced flavoured from stores such as Teavana, David's Tea, etc. You could add stevia to sweeten it and add skim milk, they are both low calorie. You could also train yourself to drink tea plainly or just without sweetener. Over the years, I have grown accustom to plain tea. If you drink tea for the health benefits, then choose a dairy free milk since the casein in milk blocks some of the health benefits of tea.
  • Celliott411
    Celliott411 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I used to drink milk and sugar in my tea as well, but started cutting them out slowly until I got to the point that I just drink tea without anything in it. Maybe try using stevia and just a dash of skim milk in the meantime? Can't possibly add much to your intake!
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I've not posted here before, but I wanted to ask if anyone has found a good alternative to a nice cup of tea?! It's so cold in my office that I really need the occasional hot drink. Problem is I really cannot drink tea without sugar and milk, which is ruining my good work with the food diary.

Has anyone found a tasty alternative? I've tried camomile and these fancy herbal infusions but they just don't cut it.

Thanks
    V

I use to drink about 3-4 double doubles a day, You get use to having tea or coffee with out the sugar and cream. Just suck it up and start drinking it black, after awhile you wont miss the sugar or cream. I currently have 2-3 large green teas from Timmy's a day and 1 medium black coffee.
  • twiztc
    twiztc Posts: 135
    Options
    I first started drinking mine black when i went to Greece and really didn't like the milk they had over there. still cant completely crack the sugar myself though even though its cut drastically.

Not sure where you live but these guys do a great range of tea.

http://www.bigelowtea.com/

I love the cranberry apple if they still do it...

hmmm must get some ;)