New runner needs questions answered

I am new to exercising. I really want to be a runner and have been fitted for the proper shoes. I have exercised every day for the last 7 weeks and have never exercised in the past - total couch potato!! So, my exercise routine consisted of hiking and walking for about 50 minutes/day. For the last 2 weeks, however, I have started running and am up to running about 30 minutes out of a 50 minute walk . I noticed that my back seemed to be "tight" every time I started out, and this morning I couldn't even run at a snail's pace because my back hurt so much!!! Are you not supposed to run every day? Do "real runners" only run a few times a week? Should you run am or pm??? Should I be stretching before or after? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks:)

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Are you stretching well after your run? My opinion - sore back from running is actually weak core muscles. Work on strengthening your core - ab and back workouts really help, stability and balancing, yoga, Planks.... anything to work on your core muscles.

I follow a plan that I run 3x per week. I have gone as low as doing Insanity, and only running 1x per week, but I never have ran more than 4 days per week, even when starting out. I like to cross training and do other things too much to just run.
  • fluffymcfluffster
    fluffymcfluffster Posts: 51 Member
    Still a newbie myself, but will fill you in on what I have read/learned. Take a day off in between each run. I actually only go 3 x a week. Up to you, morning or night. Your form may be what is affecting your back, or if you have big boobs. You need to relax your shoulders and not lean so much when you jog. I also think you are doing too much too soon but you have to feel that out yourself. Stretch after for sure when your muscles are warm. I personally don't first, I just walk a few minutes before I jog to warm up... Good luck. Others will give you better advice likely. Also, search running on the site and you will see more than you want!
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    I run three times a week. That is what the couch to 5k program for beginner's reccomends. After I finished the program I just kept running 3x a week, but increased distance and now am working on speed. Now I can add a 4th day without much trouble, but you have to build up to it.

Listen to your body. Increase the amount of running you do slowly. I think they only recommend a 10% increase in your run each week, but don't quote me on that.

And yes, any work you can do to strengthen your core will help. I do light stretching before I run, and then more stretching after- I focus on my legs, back and abs for stretching.
  • Find a running store near you and get fitted for the right kind of shoes. They will review your gait and pick a custom sneaker. I promise it will make all the difference....in the meantime stretch a lot.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    I'm not a newbie, but I am a runner and I run 5 days per week; there are certainly running friends I have here on MFP who run 7 days per week with very few rest days. I think the number of days per week is a personal thing; I definitely could run myself into the ground if I ran for weeks at a time without a break. As for stretching, the ruling school of thought now tends to be doing dynamic stretches prior to the run - that would be things like leg swings, knee raises, butt kicks; and then the more typical static stretches at the end of the run - your typical "touch your toes and hold" type stretches.

Is it your upper or lower back that's hurting? It may be that you're tightening up your arms & shoulders while you're running(?). You could try focusing on making sure they're relaxed, all the way down to your fingertips (no making a fist).

Hope you find some relief for your back pain soon - happy running! :flowerforyou:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    It is possible to run every day or even twice on many days but that doesn't come until you have run for a while, more than a year. Right now you probably shouldn't be running more than two days in a row. Give your body time to adapt and strengthen. You will get there.