Lunches on the go?

Options
I work retail and the easiest option for lunch is to run to wendys, I would rather take my lunch though. We have a mini fridge and a microwave, but I refuse to use the microwave because it hasnt been cleaned in who knows how long. Any advice on what I can take that will be filling and healthy (and cheap)?

Replies

• Vincette
    Vincette Posts: 11
    Options
    I usually use the microwave to be honest. My local supermarket do some delicious and filling tubs of fresh soup that are 97% fat free. Heat them up with the lid on loosely and maybe the nasty germs won't get in?!

Aside from that I've been known to have vita-wheat crackers with light philly, cucumber and tomatoes. Or with canned tuna. They seem to do the job. Sandwiches are just so boring and carbsy, so I know how you feel. Another colleague of mine has instant noodles which she claims are good for her diet - they'd be pretty easy if you have a kettle. GL.
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    I usually use the microwave to be honest. My local supermarket do some delicious and filling tubs of fresh soup that are 97% fat free. Heat them up with the lid on loosely and maybe the nasty germs won't get in?!

Aside from that I've been known to have vita-wheat crackers with light philly, cucumber and tomatoes. Or with canned tuna. They seem to do the job. Sandwiches are just so boring and carbsy, so I know how you feel. Another colleague of mine has instant noodles which she claims are good for her diet - they'd be pretty easy if you have a kettle. GL.

Thank you! Question, what do you put in your tuna?
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    Fruits and veggies, almonds, salads, etc. If you short on time, grab a few of the pre-packed salad bowls from Wal-Mart. They've got everything you need (including a fork) and their less than 300 calories :)
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    bump:)
  • emtron500
    emtron500 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I like to cook up a chicken breast the night before, chop it up, and then make a half-sandwich with it and just one slice of bread (cut in two with filling in between). put that with a yummy salad and you've got a pretty solid microwave-free lunch.

I also really like making a huge batch of greek salad (usually with just cucumber, tomato, onion, feta, and vinagrette) and taking some for lunch for a couple days.
  • Vincette
    Vincette Posts: 11
    Options
    Nothing actually. I get individual cans from the supermarket that come with different sauces or flavourings. Yesterday I had this one: http://www2.woolworthsonline.com.au/Shop/ProductDetails?Stockcode=226392&name=woolworths-select-tuna-with-lemon-cracked-pepper - was pretty tasty by itself on the crackers with some cucumber.
  • stefanieceleste0530
    stefanieceleste0530 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm often on the road for work, so I have to eat out of my car (or run through the drive thru, which is a very rare thing anymore) so I tend to take yogurt, almonds, cut up fruit/veggies, celery with laughing cow cheese wedge, hummus (with veggies, or sometimes crackers), rice cakes with peanut butter (or nutella) and banana. Obviously not ALL of these on the same day, but usually a combo of these
  • babykaileybeth
    Options
    I recently discovered the StarKist sandwich ready tuna salad in a pouch. No refrigeration, just pop it on crackers or some whole grain bread. It's great!!
  • kaylurzz
    kaylurzz Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Bring a good ol' lunch box with an ice pack to keep things cool and you can microwave whatever you need.
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys! I am so ready to get back into this!
  • brittany0322
    Options
    i as well discovered the starkist flavored pouches of tuna and can eat it plain...my fav is the herb and garlic put it on some crackers or a slice of cucumber..amazing!
  • Karrisfoxy
    Options
    I am a flight attendant, I live my entire life on the go. My days are 10-14 hours. Most of my trips I am away from home 3-4 days and I'm often international (like today) so can't really bring meat/dairy/veggies around very easily. I'm often without access to a fridge or a microwave. I try to pack as much as possible, for a 4 day trip I will usually plan on eating 1 dinner, 1 lunch and 1 breakfast at a restaurant/cafe/airport food stand, and I try to bring the rest. A lot of stuff I buy big bags and then pre-portion into smaller Ziplock snack bags, with the calories labeled on each bag. A lot of things labeled under snacks I will eat a couple different things instead of dinner. It's not always the most nutritionally balanced, but I log everything, exercise at hotels, and try to at least stay under my calories for the day even if my protein ratio isn't high enough for my liking.

I make stuff like: pasta salad with "veggie pasta" and low cal vinaigrette dressing (Newman's Light Lime is my fave); salads; oatmeal breakfast 'muffins' (no added sugar and less than 100 calories); occasional sandwiches; chicken and brown rice; quinoa cold salad; baked potato or sweet potato (pre-cooked at home, toppings wrapped separate); chicken/apple/walnut salad

I bring pre-made stuff like: Lean Cuisine pizzas; Healthy Choice steamer bowls; goPicnic meals; canned meals from St. Dalfour (really good!)

I bring for snacks: carrot sticks; Sabra hummas single packs; Somersaults; cinnamon applesauce; granola bars; 100-calorie snack packs; Lunchables snack duos; low fat cheese sticks; bananas and almond butter; trail mix; Smart Puffs; dried apples

Stuff I buy when I have to or want to eat out: Starbucks oatmeal is a big one for me; apple and cheese snack boxes; salads from Wendy's and Atlanta Bread/Panera; Wendy's chili or baked potato; Chipotle burrito bowl
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I really like the sandwich ready Starkist tuna salad pouches. I like to eat it on cucumbers, either slices or cut the cucumber in half, scoop the seeds out, and put the tuna in the empty space. I get crunch for very little calories. I like yogurt with nuts. You can pack a salad. Cook lean meat at home and slice up leftovers for a cold sandwich the next day. Barley and couscous salads are good cold. Crackers with Laughing Cow cheese wedges and lower sodium deli meats are good too.