I feel a bit silly...

Options
posting this, but I just want to be on the safe side.

For the past month and a half i've been shedding weight fairly quickly, two pounds (even a bit more) just like MFP claimed. My weight would slightly fluctuate throughout the week, but in the end of the week, during my weigh in, I would be at my goal weight.

This past week I haven't lost any weight. In fact, I gained one pound since my last weigh in (which was the 30tth). I'm at 187 right now and have been stuck there since I gained the pound last Sunday. I know that i'm probably in way over my head and I'm sort of, probably, overreacting because it's only been a couple of days and I could probably lose it within these few days, but still. I've come along way and I refuse to allow myself to hit a plateau this early on.

What I'm trying to figure out is: what could I do to speed my metabolism up/get back in the flow- without lowering my already incredibly low calorie count for the day- before I hit a plateau?

Replies

• FarmGirl69
    FarmGirl69 Posts: 211
    Options
    There is always the chance that you are eating too few calories....would be something to look into....?
  • IslandDer
    IslandDer Posts: 27
    Options
    Don't panic! My weight regularly fluctuates over a 2-3 lb range. My goal is 1 lb per week and, generally, over time, it's true. Once I went three weeks without losing a thing, then lost 3 lb in 1 week. Stay committed. It will work!
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    There is always the chance that you are eating too few calories....would be something to look into....?

^^ This... Try upping your cals 2-300 for a week or two and see how it goes....
  • pavingnewpaths
    pavingnewpaths Posts: 367 Member
    Options

That's what I thought, I've been eating under my calories but only because every time I try to eat something else, my other nutrients will go over the goal and the bright red irks me, haha.
  • chelw727
    chelw727 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    small frequent meals/snacks to rev your metabolism!
    add strength training to increase metabolism!
  • SoFLpeg
    SoFLpeg Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Google "why the scale lies".

You are already losing at the top end of a healthy range. It is not likely to keep up over long periods. This isn't a sprint, but a marathon.

Eating less is sometimes the entire wrong answer, sometimes you should be eating more, especially if you are working out/training a lot.

Plateaus are normal. One week is not a plateau (more like 6 or more). They are even healthy for you to give your body time to adjust to new levels.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    weight fluctuates so i wouldn't worry about it

but it could be water retention
    are you about to get or on your period?
    is your diet high in sodium?

those would be my first thoughts
  • jennifercreighton
    Options
    If you feel like you have hit the wall, try changing up the quantity of calories you intake. I find when I hit the wall at my 1300 cal goal, I switch to 1600 cal for a week and it jump starts loss again. Just be sure to eat healthy food for that extra little bit!
  • C00lCountry
    C00lCountry Posts: 282
    Options
    You left out some information here.
    Are you trying to lose 2 lbs per week?
    What is your calorie intake per day?
    How much are you exercising?

Make sure you are accurate on your food as well. Being off can lead to eating more or less then you should.
  • pavingnewpaths
    Options
    Thank you so much guys!

I think i'm going to wait and see the end result of next week and then adjust accordingly.

If I still haven't lost weight i'm going to try zig-zagging my calories and exercising a bit more.

Much obliged :)
  • pavingnewpaths
    Options
    You left out some information here.
    Are you trying to lose 2 lbs per week?
    What is your calorie intake per day?
    How much are you exercising?

Make sure you are accurate on your food as well. Being off can lead to eating more or less then you should.

Yeah, i'm aiming for two pounds per week. My net calories are 1200 and to be quite honest I don't exercise other than my daily walking, but I don't track that anyway.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    You know I have a week where I lose darn near a lb a day and then the next week I lose nothing, this has gone on since I've started. Try not to panic just yet and wait till next week to see what happens. Believe me I've lost 5 lbs since last Monday but last week it was like pulling teeth to lose a lb. I've set a montly goal instead of a weekly one. That way if I have a week I don't lose it's still good cause I have weeks I lose enough to count for the prior week. 8 lbs a month would be a good place to start for you. Then move it up if your constantly going over, just to keep yourself challenged.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Yeah, i'm aiming for two pounds per week. My net calories are 1200 and to be quite honest I don't exercise other than my daily walking, but I don't track that anyway.
    [/quote]

Don't increase your calories just yet, give it some time