My Polar HRM is not functioning properly

Options
talamer
talamer Posts: 516 Member
Hey all,

well, I had purchased my first HRM (Polar FT40) from eBay since beginning of May 2012.. And were using it about 1 and half month.
Unfortunately since 10 days back, tried to use during my jogging exercise and it seems it was not detecting my heart rate properly, like it will catch my heart rate for few seconds and then stopped for 5-10 mins, then again take my heart rate for few seconds then stopped again!!! it was really annoying me and I felt so depressed that my HRM is not functioning properly! dunno if it is from the Polar FT40TM Wrist Unit or Polar WearLink®+ !!!

Did someone of you face the same issue and how I can solve it? dunno if it is battery need to be replaced from the WearLink?
Please note that I always remove the WearLink from the Wrist Unit directly after the workout so it will not consume more battery life.

HELP!!!

Cheers,

Talal

Replies

• DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    Hey all,

well, I had purchased my first HRM (Polar FT40) from eBay since beginning of May 2012.. And were using it about 1 and half month.
    Unfortunately since 10 days back, tried to use during my jogging exercise and it seems it was not detecting my heart rate properly, like it will catch my heart rate for few seconds and then stopped for 5-10 mins, then again take my heart rate for few seconds then stopped again!!! it was really annoying me and I felt so depressed that my HRM is not functioning properly! dunno if it is from the Polar FT40TM Wrist Unit or Polar WearLink®+ !!!

Did someone of you face the same issue and how I can solve it? dunno if it is battery need to be replaced from the WearLink?
    Please note that I always remove the WearLink from the Wrist Unit directly after the workout so it will not consume more battery life.

HELP!!!

Cheers,

Talal

A quick googlizing of this topic should lead you to the right solution and I think Polar has a forum dedicated to the FT series functionality. Start with the battery, it's cheap and most likely the issue, especially if you neglect to remove the unit from the strap regularly. I read that the thin conductors in the strap are prone to corrosion fairly quickly if not rinsed right after workouts. Luckily, that is also a cheap Amazon fix. Make sure the straps are soaked RIGHT BEFORE your workout.
  • talamer
    Options
    A quick googlizing of this topic should lead you to the right solution and I think Polar has a forum dedicated to the FT series functionality. Start with the battery, it's cheap and most likely the issue, especially if you neglect to remove the unit from the strap regularly. I read that the thin conductors in the strap are prone to corrosion fairly quickly if not rinsed right after workouts. Luckily, that is also a cheap Amazon fix. Make sure the straps are soaked RIGHT BEFORE your workout.

I wanted to google it, but didn't know what to write.. I had been taken care of the straps by washing it in a water and rinse it after every use. I will try to change the battery but dunno if it will solve the issue..also will try to wash the strip on a washing machine and will see if the problem is solved. otherwise have to find a local authorized polar if they accept its warranty as I purchased it from USA! but I reside in Bahrain.. Thanks a lot for the advice. :)
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    This happened to me one time and never since. I couldn't figure out the problem without stopping my run (not a chance). As I thought about it later I figured it was perhaps 1 or 2 things:

1) The strap was twisted (unlikely)
    2) The transmitter was attached to the strap upside down.

I actually don't know if it's a problem to put it on upside down, it's just a theory I had that I haven't tested
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both have this monitor. I only had a problem twice, once it got too dry (we live in Phoenix) and all I had to do was wet it and another time it was just nonexplained and I stopped the work out entirely - started the work out over and it was fine.

This happens more often with my husband but we figured out it only happens when his heart is doing this weird thing (he has a heart condition) - and luckily with exercize his heart does it less and less.
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I had this with my speedo and just change the battery and it was fine if it is not that then just contact Polar, I have nothing but good stuff to say about them I have returned a few things and it only took about 5 days to get it back from sending.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    i had the same problem and it was caused by a build up of sweat on the strap. Wash it carefully in warm water - I think you can use some gentle detergent but please check first.

I do this regularly now and its much better.

http://forum.polar.fi/showthread.php?t=12365
  • talamer
    Options
    This happened to me one time and never since. I couldn't figure out the problem without stopping my run (not a chance). As I thought about it later I figured it was perhaps 1 or 2 things:

1) The strap was twisted (unlikely)
    2) The transmitter was attached to the strap upside down.

I actually don't know if it's a problem to put it on upside down, it's just a theory I had that I haven't tested

I thought it was upside down or something, but I will try to give it a try to connect the transmitter in both side and give it a try! I'm also afraid about how tight the belt should be.. so maybe I'm over tightening it !

Thanks for the advice and will let you know with the results later :)
  • talamer
    Options
    My husband and I both have this monitor. I only had a problem twice, once it got too dry (we live in Phoenix) and all I had to do was wet it and another time it was just nonexplained and I stopped the work out entirely - started the work out over and it was fine.

This happens more often with my husband but we figured out it only happens when his heart is doing this weird thing (he has a heart condition) - and luckily with exercize his heart does it less and less.

It is perhaps too dry! I always try to wet the the belt before starting any exercise bcoz we live in hot weather here and it gets dry fast..

Hope all the best for you and your husband dear,,, thanks a lot :)
  • talamer
    Options
    I had this with my speedo and just change the battery and it was fine if it is not that then just contact Polar, I have nothing but good stuff to say about them I have returned a few things and it only took about 5 days to get it back from sending.

I will change the battery today itself as it cheap and not expensive..so I should give it a try today..
    otherwise will contact polar!

Many thanks :)
  • deb1962
    deb1962 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi,i think try wetting it a bit more.But it probably just needs batteries..
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Mines brand new and did exactly the same on Sunday. I used it again Monday and yesterday and it was fine
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Do you wet the strap before exercising? It seems stupid, but I've talked to a lot of people who used it without a problem for a few months before it started 'not detecting'...but went back to working perfectly once they were using it properyl
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    Could be tachycardia or arrhythmia?

Or maybe just the battery need replacing?
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Do you wet the strap before exercising? It seems stupid, but I've talked to a lot of people who used it without a problem for a few months before it started 'not detecting'...but went back to working perfectly once they were using it properyl

Yes - my husband has the same one and I think it may have been user error!
  • talamer
    Options
    Thank you all guys for the help !!

It is working fine now! all I have done is washing the strap in the washing machine by keeping it inside a pouch with using little cloth soup..!!

I had read it in POLAR website that the battery life is around 2 yrs for the Transmitter! so the issue shouldn't be caused from it as I only has been using it for less than 2 months..

:D YEAAAAAAAAAAAH My HRM is BACK :D can do any workout/exercise without it!
  • deb1962
    deb1962 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Wow im the same..My HRM WAS PLAYING UP YESTERDAY..SO ANNOYING..REALLY PUTS ME OFF..BUT IT WAS RUNNING PERFECTLY THIS MORNING YAAAYYYYYYYY
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options

My thoughts.... if the strap is not wet enough, it will not read properly.....
  • John020667
    John020667 Posts: 25
    Options
    I have had my FT40 replaced 3 times and each time they replaced the transmitter saying it was faulty. Becareful sending anything to Polar even under warranty the charge you a courier fee.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I had this problem, and I washed the little transmitter in warm water and soap thoroughly, dried it **really** well, made sure the strap was moist but the connecting snaps were dry, and that fixed the issue.
  • talamer
    Options
    Thank you all for the tips! yesterday I had another issue! my HRM went crazy! I was only doing some weight lifiting and got my Heart Rate above 200+ :O!! it was doing that until I left the GYM! dunno what happen!

it seems all the issues are from my transmitter itself!